10-26-2014, 06:02 PM
User Info
Well fellow shavers, I am there. I am at the point in my DE wet shaving where the shaves I get--every day, are as close; as comfortable as my best shaves with every other method I ever used in my 45 years of shaving, including the 5 blade cart; but better. Far better. Smile The ritual of my shave is one that, even when I am pressed for time, will not sacrifice. I now feel "completely dressed" after my shave. Ready to take on the day. How amazing that, what was once drudgery and avoided, has now become a highlight of my day. I am never going back. Enjoy your shaves and your lives. Thank you TSN.

39 3,920
 10-26-2014, 06:27 PM
User Info
Excellent, congratulations!

31 1,800
 10-26-2014, 07:00 PM
User Info
Very well said. My feelings are the same way! I've been shaving since I was 12, now 40, and over this last year, it's the first time in 28 years that I actually look forward to shaving everyday.

I also have to say that TSN makes it a little more fun as well Wink

21 555
 10-26-2014, 08:32 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-26-2014, 06:02 PM)primotenore Wrote: Well fellow shavers, I am there. I am at the point in my DE wet shaving where the shaves I get--every day, are as close; as comfortable as my best shaves with every other method I ever used in my 45 years of shaving, including the 5 blade cart; but better. Far better. Smile The ritual of my shave is one that, even when I am pressed for time, will not sacrifice. I now feel "completely dressed" after my shave. Ready to take on the day. How amazing that, what was once drudgery and avoided, has now become a highlight of my day. I am never going back. Enjoy your shaves and your lives. Thank you TSN.

Got to say that, while I share many of your sentiments -- really -- I do not yet share your results.

I have been shaving (it appears) about ten years longer than you have, but for the first ten years, roughly from age 16 to age 26, I was using an electric shaver exclusively, so we are right at the same level of experience shaving with a blade. With trivial exceptions, I shave every day, seven days a week. From sometime in the very late 1960s (Gillette Techmatic, then Wilkinson Bonded) until March of this year, I shaved with cartridge razors, but always using a good brush and real shaving soap (historically, mostly Col. Conk Amber for the better part of those years) for prep.

Almost exactly coincident with the time I started shaving, I became a (then) hi-fi (later) stereo fanatic, and always had a state of the art home audio system. Keeping vinyl records perfectly clean, and keeping stylus pressure and anti-skating spot-on, with my turntable/tone arm/phono cartridge was a chore, but a pleasurable chore, and I surprised myself that my interest flagged once CD sound reproduction made "perfect sound forever" no longer a labor of love.

Perhaps it was nostalgia for the bygone days of serious involvement with the minutiae of my audio hobby that caused me to pick up a DE razor for the first time in my life seven months ago. I bought a Standard Razors razor, and proceeded to devote to it the same level of study of technique that once I devoted to tweaking a Grace 707II tone arm and millimeter-precise location of loudspeakers relative to the boundaries of the listening room.

In common with you, seven months of fanaticism with the details of my daily shave has given me a certain pleasure that I did not experience by simply lathering up and mowing down the whiskers every morning for all of these years. Yes, DE shaving is fun.

But in terms of R E S U L T S, if I am honest with myself, I must admit that, if the only standards are how close and smooth a shave I obtain, and how much time it takes me to get there, I can achieve the goals just as well, and in much less time, with a Schick Hydro 3 cartridge as I can with a DE razor loaded with a pick of the litter DE blade. And, because I can get a good three weeks of shaves with one cartridge, but only five or six days of shaves with a DE blade, there is no significant price differential in achieving those results between using a cartridge and using a DE razor and blade. In fact, because I now am doing much more experimentation with exotic (and expensive) shaving soaps than ever I have done before, my cost per shave has gone up since committing to my serious trial of DE shaving.

Will I go back to shaving exclusively with cartridges once I have completed my (now) 56-blade trial of giving DE shaving every opportunity to prove itself? Not likely. I have rediscovered the joy of scrupulously cleaning the surface of a vinyl record before putting it onto the turntable and lowering the tone arm delicately until the stylus meets the record surface; DE prep requires the same attention to detail. For years, I had missed that.

But am I getting closer, smoother shaves now with a DE than I was getting at the dawn of 2014 with a Schick Hydro? Honestly, I cannot say that I am.

But sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.

1 1,089
 10-26-2014, 08:42 PM
User Info
If I were to say that I can achieve the same close shave in the same or less time than with a cart, that would be untrue, however, just like you and your LP's (I, too use my original Discwasher with the companion fluid!) I have become meticulous with my DE shaves. Who makes a triple pass with a fusion? I certainly didn't. Sure they work. But just as George Benson on the CTI LP sounds far superior than its CD counterpart, so too are my daily DE shaves. Maybe it's the OCD in me. Blush

39 3,920
 10-26-2014, 08:57 PM
User Info
I get better shaves with DEs than with any cartridge I've ever used. Yes, a bit slower because of multiple passes, but closer and more comfortable, both. No ingrown hairs at all since giving up carts, either.

I hope someday to get as good results from a straight, but practice is too sporadic.

7 315
 10-26-2014, 10:03 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
It really doesn't matter what razor or soap someone uses, as long as they enjoy the shave. After 52 years of wet shaving, the first 50 with a Fat Boy and a Slim, I've been using a straight for the past six months. My enjoyment comes from stropping, honing, caring for the blade, having a new learning experience, and meeting others who love straights. Why should I compare my shave with a cart, a DE, or an SE when I'm having so much fun?

38 5,113
 10-26-2014, 11:25 PM
User Info
Primo, congrats!

I echo your sentiments. I get a better shave and it's FAR(!) more enjoyable. I don't intend to ever go back to a cart' either. Previously it was a hated chore.

32 6,460
 10-27-2014, 12:04 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
No clogging with a DE. I am almost 56. Best shaves ever with a DE. Cartridges? Expensive too. I find them neither necessary nor sufficient.

0 1,776
 10-27-2014, 01:27 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
After over 40 years of shaving with DEs, electrics (never did like those) and twin blade disposables I switched to straight razors a couple of years ago. Learning to use a straight turned a dreary everyday chore into a pleasing experience.

Like someones else said the ritual associated with using a straight and learning to use a straight made shaving enjoyable. Getting a good shave with a DE/SE or twin blade disposable is still not quite as satisfying an experience as using a straight. OTH by applying what I have learned using a straight to other methods of shaving has improved those too. It is the journey that is satisfying for me not the end result.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-27-2014, 02:01 AM
User Info
walking for "only" 42 years on the face of the earth i started the pleasures of shaving in 2012 - after "discovered" it a few years earlier but hesitated. to me its not about close shave vs super close shave - its about me being willing to shave at all - because earlier i rarily did. i am a rather unstructured person so for me to start a regular habit took me a long time and a major feat. i had to trick myself into making the journey interesting - but my goal in this matter was and is simply the end result: a clean shaven face.

7 1,624
 10-27-2014, 05:19 AM
User Info
(10-27-2014, 02:01 AM)tonsorius Wrote: walking for "only" 42 years on the face of the earth i started the pleasures of shaving in 2012 - after "discovered" it a few years earlier but hesitated. to me its not about close shave vs super close shave - its about me being willing to shave at all - because earlier i rarily did. i am a rather unstructured person so for me to start a regular habit took me a long time and a major feat. i had to trick myself into making the journey interesting - but my goal in this matter was and is simply the end result: a clean shaven face.

Have you considered "Nair"? WinkWink

39 3,920
 10-27-2014, 05:24 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I did an extensive study sometime after making the complete change to wet shaving as to what component of said ceremony made the biggest difference. I found that the brush and soap/cream is what gave me the largest improvement. Double edge razors made a small, but noticeable, difference as well but after researching each variable my results were as stated. I do however believe that the heavier your beard is the more a DE matters. Someone with a lighter beard than myself I've always believed may not see any advantage in a DE, while someone with a heavier one would see more of a difference than I do. jmho.

7 2,328
 10-27-2014, 06:02 AM
User Info
(10-27-2014, 05:19 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(10-27-2014, 02:01 AM)tonsorius Wrote: walking for "only" 42 years on the face of the earth i started the pleasures of shaving in 2012 - after "discovered" it a few years earlier but hesitated. to me its not about close shave vs super close shave - its about me being willing to shave at all - because earlier i rarily did. i am a rather unstructured person so for me to start a regular habit took me a long time and a major feat. i had to trick myself into making the journey interesting - but my goal in this matter was and is simply the end result: a clean shaven face.

nair is a shitty chemical and is dangerous to use in the face A6

the "journey" aspect is irrelevant for me: i wish to think less - not more.

7 1,624
 10-27-2014, 07:33 AM
User Info
(10-27-2014, 06:02 AM)tonsorius Wrote:
(10-27-2014, 05:19 AM)primotenore Wrote:

That was my feeble attempt at humor...Rolleyes

39 3,920
 10-27-2014, 07:46 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Primo! Always enjoy the journey! Biggrin

I, myself, having a very dense, coarse and dark beard have had amazing results form DE shaving compared to carts and electric razors which just couldn't do an adequate job for my beard.

83 21,081
 10-27-2014, 08:17 AM
User Info
congratulations primo. now retired I have all the time in the world to shave and it would be utterly wasted using a cartridge for me.

73 1,297
 10-27-2014, 08:44 AM
User Info
(10-27-2014, 07:33 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(10-27-2014, 06:02 AM)tonsorius Wrote:
(10-27-2014, 05:19 AM)primotenore Wrote: Have you considered "Nair"? WinkWink

That was my feeble attempt at humor...Rolleyes

...i know Box Biggrin

7 1,624
 10-27-2014, 09:27 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Primo. I feel like I'm getting there too.

As far as what's better/closer, the combination of my beard, my skin, and a cart is not a good one. Beyond the results though, there's a certain amount of satisfaction that I get from mastering something that is more difficult.

0 1,072
 10-27-2014, 10:05 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My worst shave still honours a genteel preparation for the coming day. I walk among latter-day-David Geffens who followed the cult of slobwear with slob toiletry and slob driving and slob manners.

2 3,171