10-27-2014, 08:11 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I was watching an old B movie western with my neighbor last night. My godmother Janie asked the wagonmaster if he knew what a razor was. Next scene he's grubbing out whiskers with a straight and a thin slurry of what could be lardBiggrin
It got me thinking about my time backpacking and working out doors on extended field excavations. I can't even remember what I did, probably looked like that wagonmaster.
So, this A.M. I went outside ( not in my Kimono) to the patio.
I boiled some water in my Volcano stove, lathered up with the WEE SCOT and shaved before a compass mirror. No aftershave, a camp towel to wipe down.
It wasn't my best shave. I did remind myself we live in a world of natural disasters and a hot meal and looking halfway presentable mean a lot morale wise.

2 3,171
 10-27-2014, 08:19 AM
User Info
isn't Westlake village in los angeles? not the great white north but I understand your thinking. I live in Oregon and could step outside in winter and never want for water.

73 1,263
 10-27-2014, 08:32 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I'm literally a short walk from the L.A.-Ventura county line; properly in Thousand Oaks, but this small wedge was developed as part of Westlake. I just know it as where cattle once roamed and rye grass grown during WW1 for Europe( you can still find it growing wild)Joel McCrea taught me to ride horses and countless movies shot. I did a local excavation and had to clean up a field report making some wild battle field claim: 3 in 1 blanks from the old COMBAT!showRolleyes

2 3,171
 10-27-2014, 08:38 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I've never shaved outdoors at home, but I've used my Land Cruiser hood and door mirror as a makeshift den several times. It is actually one of my favorite parts of camping, being the first to climb out of the tent and hearing nothing but the whiskers getting mowed down and the wildlife.

139 2,680
 10-27-2014, 09:07 AM
User Info
I plan on doing a head shave here on my patio once the snow comes. And I'll be doing a simple "cold water shave" just to "feel" it. No lather, no aftershave, just water, nature, and my razor and maybe a lil' crazy! Tongue

1 1,975
 10-27-2014, 02:13 PM
User Info
I have used my Weber DLC, synthetic brush, Mytic Water Bay Rum and unrefined shea butter when we have gone camping along with water in a large pot to shave and it has always worked out quite well. It gets a bit cold with the cold water and cooler temperatures, but I still get a great shave, smell fine and have a nice clean and smooth face! The only problem is that I don't have a mirror so I have to use the side mirror on my car as we usually go car-camping! Biggrin

82 21,056
 10-27-2014, 06:24 PM
User Info
I'm a camper and usually just forgo shaving when camping. But when on travel camping trips, I use a product my barber recommended that vastly reduces water needed for your shave. It's Stephan shave cream. You just smooth it on with your hand. No lathering needed as it has lots of lanolin and is super slick. Then shave. All you need is a small cup to dip razor in to rinse it. When finished shaving, you just rub the excess cream into your face live an aftershave balm. No rinsing needed.
Works great and requires very little water.

Steve- Merkur Progress; Gillette Black Beauty; Frank Shaving ST Brush; Georgetown Pottery G12 Scuttle

Here is link to Stephan shave cream.
http://williamsportbarber.com/stephans-s...-16oz.html

Steve- Merkur Progress; Gillette Black Beauty; Frank Shaving ST Brush; Georgetown Pottery G12 Scuttle

0 9
 10-27-2014, 09:00 PM
User Info
I did enough outdoor shaves with cold water that it holds no attraction for me. But I can understand the attraction for those without the memories. In a similar vein it's more or less why I started to use a Rolls Razor... just because I could and to learn how to make my own shave ready edge. But it's certainly not required to get a shave.

32 6,445
 10-30-2014, 04:46 AM
User Info
+1 Between helmet shaves during training and field shaves in the desert, I too have had my fill of shaving outside.

They weren't by any means 'bad' shaves, but they certainly didn't leaving me feeling sparkling, refreshed and roaring to go like some guy in a Nature's Valley granola bar commercial...

3 147
 10-30-2014, 09:20 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-27-2014, 09:07 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote: I plan on doing a head shave here on my patio once the snow comes. And I'll be doing a simple "cold water shave" just to "feel" it. No lather, no aftershave, just water, nature, and my razor and maybe a lil' crazy! Tongue

I tell you what...I'll do a head shave when the snow comes as well. Tongue

46 18,092
 10-30-2014, 09:40 PM
User Info
(10-30-2014, 09:20 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(10-27-2014, 09:07 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote: I plan on doing a head shave here on my patio once the snow comes. And I'll be doing a simple "cold water shave" just to "feel" it. No lather, no aftershave, just water, nature, and my razor and maybe a lil' crazy! Tongue

I tell you what...I'll do a head shave when the snow comes as well. Tongue

Laughing1

82 21,056
 10-30-2014, 10:08 PM
User Info
OK, you guys are hard core.
I might be the biggest wuss in the Nook.

7 315