10-27-2014, 08:17 PM
User Info
This is a review of the Feather F System SamraiEdge, the razor handle and blades are made in Japan. I used it for the first time today, the brush used was an M&F 2XL with gel tips and the soap was LASS' fantastic Topanga Fougere.

Obligatory razor and shaving gel in package photo:
[Image: huh801.jpg]

Solid handle with tackle rubber grip:
[Image: yhyeqa.jpg]

Holding the F System SamraiEdge is a treat, it sits well in the hand. It's very well built and nicely weighted, the rubber grip also ensures you're unlikely to drop it while shaving.

Side profile:
[Image: LDBpma.jpg]

Notice the size of the handle compared to the head, it looks like this razor is into bodybuilding. Unfortunately, this is where the problems begin with this razor. While the handle grip, build and weighting is first class, the razor cartridge is: 1) small in size making shaving a chore, as it takes longer to cover more ground 2) light-weight creating an unbalanced shaving motion when paired with the heavy handle.

Close up:
[Image: 4Wwl97.jpg]

The F System Samrai edge has more problems. Notice the neck mechanism between the head and body of the razor, it's spring loaded and rocks back and forth. The problem is the mechanism reduces any feel, forcing you to press the razor into the face to create some form of feedback, which is muted at best. Take the razor away from you face and the mechanism springs back to it's original position.

While the razor blades were small and lightweight, it was hard to gauge how well the blades were cutting. This was simply because you couldn't feel them cutting courtesy of the spring loaded mechanism.

As you can probably see this razor was a disappointment. It was poorly designed resulting in an equally bad shaving experience. This is not a case of 'Japan Quality' and it gets a rating of 1/10.

Thanks for reading,
Michael

23 474
 10-27-2014, 08:23 PM
User Info
Sorry you had that disappointment.
Are the Fii and MR3 blades compatible with the handle? I think they are (or at least, I think I read that they were all compatible with the MR3 handle, and that seems like it would translate). I wonder if one or other of the other cartridges might do better.

7 315
 10-27-2014, 08:31 PM
User Info
(10-27-2014, 08:23 PM)wagstaff Wrote: Sorry you had that disappointment.
Are the Fii and MR3 blades compatible with the handle? I think they are (or at least, I think I read that they were all compatible with the MR3 handle, and that seems like it would translate). I wonder if one or other of the other cartridges might do better.

Hi Andrew, I'm not sure about the razor blade compatibility however the whole package seems very poorly designed. The main problem is the spring loaded rocking mechanism. I think Feather over-thought while designing this razor system. I will look at Feather's other cartridge offerings, however at this stage the Schick Hydro 5 rules the roost.

23 474
 10-28-2014, 02:59 AM
User Info
very amusing review - thanks!

what a mindless design - they don't have a clue about what they are doing - but they know enough to make something that looks very "advanced" and "impressive" in the hope to lure customers. a simple handle - the only thing needed - have been substituted with something grotesque that looks like a "real razor" - as if that would help them.

the multiblade cartridge design have come to a sort of endpoint - for now - it seems to be the next logic step to let the handle swell too - in a hope that customers feel they get something substantial for their money - more meat on the bone so to speak. it will be fun to see their next creative level of nonsence inventions. at least they are not guilty of anything eco-friendly Wink

7 1,624
 10-28-2014, 04:08 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-28-2014, 02:59 AM)tonsorius Wrote: very amusing review - thanks!

what a mindless design - they don't have a clue about what they are doing

Actually, they do. Feather has been making razors since the early 1930s, and as recently as the 1960s controlled 75 percent of the razor and razor blade markets in a nation of 100 million people, where the overwhelming majority of the adult males are clean shaven. A summary of the history of Feather was published on Sharpolpgist a couple of years ago: Here it is.

(10-28-2014, 02:59 AM)tonsorius Wrote: the multiblade cartridge design have come to a sort of endpoint - for now - it seems to be the next logic step to let the handle swell too - in a hope that customers feel they get something substantial for their money - more meat on the bone so to speak. it will be fun to see their next creative level of nonsence inventions. at least they are not guilty of anything eco-friendly Wink

Feather has tried many experiments in razor design. The stainless AS-D2 gets good reviews on sites like this one; the Feather Popular just may be the world's best inexpensive "starter" DE razor; and several users in this subforum, including veteran DE shavers, praise their top-of-the-line MR3 neo razor highly. I have an MR3 neo on order, and look forward to trying it out for myself. If the SamraiEdge is a dud, well, not every experiment is successful. But Feather has has enough successes in its past that one can forgive the occasional miss; the marketplace will clean up the misses.

Cartridge razor design continues to evolve; the Schick Hydro is superior to anything Gillette yet has produced. And when Gillette this year tried to answer Schick, it is interesting that this round, all of the changes ("Fusion ProGlide with FlexBall technology") were in the handle while leaving the execrable Fusion cartridge unchanged.

0 1,049
 10-28-2014, 06:33 AM
User Info
Thanks again for the reply. The MR3Neo handle has a lock to stop the "rocker mechanism" if the user should so choose. So there's at least that.
I bought the MR3, because of air travel carry-on. I like the handle pretty well.

7 315
 10-28-2014, 08:14 AM
User Info
(10-28-2014, 04:08 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(10-28-2014, 02:59 AM)tonsorius Wrote: very amusing review - thanks!

what a mindless design - they don't have a clue about what they are doing

Actually, they do. Feather has been making razors since the early 1930s, and as recently as the 1960s controlled 75 percent of the razor and razor blade markets in a nation of 100 million people, where the overwhelming majority of the adult males are clean shaven. A summary of the history of Feather was published on Sharpolpgist a couple of years ago: Here it is.

i think you got it somewhat wrong. here’s why:

i don’t think the feather samraiedge is a dud. i believe it will be a hit and a part of the company’s bread & butter with help from the clueless common samurai - because the common samurai is the actual market for this type of razor. feather has indeed a clue when it comes to catering the commoner - but they don’t have a clue when it comes to real and useful development - because the stainless and popular is after all just a rehash of what already existed. gillette managed to make superior de razors more than 100 years ago.

the majority of adult males in japan are clean shaven simply because they are not fond of facial hair - and because of buddhist traditions: to «recollect the true nature of the body». i am sure most use electric shavers anyway.

the feather stainless razor is certainly a fine tool - but is made for a super small and critical niche market - you and me - and i don’t doubt the mr3 to be an ok razor - something in the region of the modern gillettes - and the actual reason for me to join this forum in the first place: to learn how to get rid of it.
(10-28-2014, 02:59 AM)tonsorius Wrote: the multiblade cartridge design have come to a sort of endpoint - for now - it seems to be the next logic step to let the handle swell too - in a hope that customers feel they get something substantial for their money - more meat on the bone so to speak. it will be fun to see their next creative level of nonsence inventions. at least they are not guilty of anything eco-friendly Wink

Feather has tried many experiments in razor design. The stainless AS-D2 gets good reviews on sites like this one; the Feather Popular just may be the world's best inexpensive "starter" DE razor; and several users in this subforum, including veteran DE shavers, praise their top-of-the-line MR3 neo razor highly. I have an MR3 neo on order, and look forward to trying it out for myself. If the SamraiEdge is a dud, well, not every experiment is successful. But Feather has has enough successes in its past that one can forgive the occasional miss; the marketplace will clean up the misses.

Cartridge razor design continues to evolve; the Schick Hydro is superior to anything Gillette yet has produced. And when Gillette this year tried to answer Schick, it is interesting that this round, all of the changes ("Fusion ProGlide with FlexBall technology") were in the handle while leaving the execrable Fusion cartridge unchanged.

i think you got it somewhat wrong. here’s why:

i don’t think the feather samraiedge is a dud. i believe it will be a hit and a part of the company’s bread & butter with help from the clueless common samurai - because the common samurai is the actual market for this type of razor. feather has indeed a clue when it comes to catering the commoner - but they don’t have a clue when it comes to real and useful development - because the stainless and popular is after all just a rehash of what already existed. gillette managed to make superior de razors more than 100 years ago.

the majority of adult males in japan are clean shaven simply because they are not fond of facial hair - and because of buddhist traditions: to «recollect the true nature of the body». i am sure most use electric shavers anyway.

the feather stainless razor is certainly a fine tool - but is made for a super small and critical niche market - you and me - and i don’t doubt the mr3 to be an ok razor - something in the region of the modern gillettes - and the actual reason for me to join this forum in the first place: to learn how to get rid of it.

[Image: vKmgdV8.jpg]

7 1,624
 10-28-2014, 07:22 PM
User Info
Yes, it seems most guys in Japan use electric razors. I asked all my relatives here and none use a manual razor, mind you that's a really limited poll Biggrin

23 474
 10-28-2014, 07:58 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(10-28-2014, 07:22 PM)mixershave Wrote: Yes, it seems most guys in Japan use electric razors. I asked all my relatives here and none use a manual razor, mind you that's a really limited poll Biggrin

Your database differs 180° from mine. I have lived in Japan for years (not presently), and, except for our son and his family, all of my living relatives are born in Japan Japanese nationals. Of the hundreds of Japanese men whom I have known in my life, not one of them ever has used an electric razor. I never have seen an electric razor -- ANY electric razor -- for sale in any retail store in Japan that I have visited. So far as I am aware, there are zero manufacturers of electric razors in Japan, this in a nation that has small electric appliances for everything.

How could our circle of acquaintances differ so greatly?

0 1,049
 10-29-2014, 02:57 AM
User Info
(10-28-2014, 07:58 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(10-28-2014, 07:22 PM)mixershave Wrote: Yes, it seems most guys in Japan use electric razors. I asked all my relatives here and none use a manual razor, mind you that's a really limited poll Biggrin

Your database differs 180° from mine. I have lived in Japan for years (not presently), and, except for our son and his family, all of my living relatives are born in Japan Japanese nationals. Of the hundreds of Japanese men whom I have known in my life, not one of them ever has used an electric razor. I never have seen an electric razor -- ANY electric razor -- for sale in any retail store in Japan that I have visited. So far as I am aware, there are zero manufacturers of electric razors in Japan, this in a nation that has small electric appliances for everything.

How could our circle of acquaintances differ so greatly?

That's pretty amazing, just walk into any Yodobashi or Bic Camera and they're everywhere. Not sure how the experiences differ, my grandfather used a Philips electric over 30 years ago.

23 474
 10-29-2014, 01:28 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(10-29-2014, 02:57 AM)mixershave Wrote:
(10-28-2014, 07:58 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:

Of the hundreds of Japanese men whom I have known in my life, not one of them ever has used an electric razor. I never have seen an electric razor -- ANY electric razor -- for sale in any retail store in Japan that I have visited.

That's pretty amazing, just walk into any Yodobashi or Bic Camera and they're everywhere. Not sure how the experiences differ, my grandfather used a Philips electric over 30 years ago.
I've not purchased a camera in Japan since 1966 Rolleyes so the Yodobashis and Bics pretty much have to get along without my business. The Yoshiike in Okachimachi, OTOH, might fail but for our repeat business (vast exotic regional sake selection), and for some reason we always seem to spend a lot of our time on the B1 level of the Yokohama Sogo when we are in Japan. As my bride observes, "The Japanese people make a lot of money selling each other sweets."

But when we are in Sogo, or Yokohama Takashimaya, we usually peruse the sections where they stock neat-o high end housewares, and the respective departments where they sell personal grooming accessories, and it is there (in addition to the homes of relatives whom we visit) that I never have seen an electric razor. And as you know from the MR3 neo thread, we searched for, and failed to find, a Feather MR3 DE razor in a couple of dozen stores in the Kanto area ten days ago, and came up empty-handed; but I saw no electric razors in those shops, either.

0 1,049