10-28-2014, 10:51 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I now have three HD500s; at first blush identical, but upon closer inspection they are each a little different.

On the left, the inside stamping (on the base plate under the silo doors) says "BRIT. PAT. 694093". Underside of the base plate is blank except for Gillette Logo and "MADE IN ENGLAND" (So, the same as the No.59 Set: Year: 1956)

Middle: Inside stamping says "PATENT PENDING". Underside of base plate Gillette logo and "MADE IN ENGLAND" (Year:1953/54)

Right hand side: Same as the one on the left, but underneath the base plate other than the logo and "MADE IN ENGLAND" is the II symbol, indicating a medium aggressiveness. (The 'German' model has a different case but has the II.) This could be the Monobloc "French Set", 1957 (?)

Each weigh exactly 71gm. Each shave exactly the same. In reality the colours/tones are very similar. The each just catch the light a little differently in this picture.

I know there are other models. Anyone have any pictures to share? I am especially interested to see the inside stamping of a Monobloc French Set if anyone has one Smile

[Image: TgZDHFL.jpg]

0 1,846
 10-29-2014, 12:36 AM
User Info
I have a Monobloc french set in the yellow case.
The inside is marked BRIT.PAT. 694093
Under the head is the Gillette diamond logo and a II symbol. The knob on this razor doesn't have the groves/rings around it just plain knurling.
I checked my other HD Rockets in the blue cases, they're all the same!
with the BRIT.PAT 694093 inside and under the head Gillette diamond logo plus Made in England but no II symbol.
In the same blue case I have the 54a set with the thinner Rocket handle like a Parat. This has the BRIT.PAT. 694093 inside and under the head Gillette diamond logo plus Made in England and the II symbol.
Hope this is of some interest.

[Image: 045633.jpg]

0 875
 10-29-2014, 01:04 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Wow.

As for 'monobloc' I was going from Mr Razor's site (yes there is another like yours):

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Pie...%20Set.jpg

0 1,846
 10-29-2014, 01:42 AM
User Info
For some of the best information about Rockets that I've seen on the net, you can look at http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gi...d-de.8590/

You say that the stamp "II" indicates medium aggressiveness... where that information comes from? It is the first time that I read that.

About the "patent pending"... those were the earlier ones. The Patent is from 1953 or so, so razors pre-1953 were marked "patent pending"

2 5,548
 10-29-2014, 03:02 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(10-29-2014, 01:42 AM)oversaturn Wrote: For some of the best information about Rockets that I've seen on the net, you can look at http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gi...d-de.8590/

You say that the stamp "II" indicates medium aggressiveness... where that information comes from? It is the first time that I read that.

About the "patent pending"... those were the earlier ones. The Patent is from 1953 or so, so razors pre-1953 were marked "patent pending"

Yes, Patent pending, as indicated in my earlier post: 1953/54

The II is similar to the non-colour Gillette Flare Tip Rocket ( I have two of these, exactly these ones, again from Mr Razor (but mine have the II):

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Pie...Rocket.JPG

Mine also have the dispenser and instructions.

The Blue version of this (Mild) is marked as I; the Red Tip as III. Having said that, and as we know, different razors shave differently.

I don't have the 54a (as per Brian's post above) but I do have the quite similar Made in England 1949 Rocket (Patent Pending, 63gm..no case). It tears my face up: way too aggressive for me, and I LIKE the R41. Go figure. It may be the curve of the blade?

0 1,846
 10-29-2014, 06:42 AM
User Info
Interesting theory.

I have 2 Gillette British #58. One carries the "II" mark, the other doesn't. I have to test and see if I'm able to find any significant difference between the shaves of those two razors.

I also have some other English TTO's, I have to check them out.

2 5,548
 10-29-2014, 07:56 AM
User Info
Lovely razors, gentlemen! Smile

83 21,115