10-29-2014, 09:04 AM
User Info
Does anyone know what has happened to the razorock stealth? I know a batch was released and I understood that they were going into production for general release in October. October nearly over but cannot see if they have gone into production etc?

N

2 68
 10-29-2014, 09:07 AM
User Info
Yes, they are still being released in small batches every once in a while. But due to the negative feedback Joe got from the whole release process, he is no longer announcing the release times beforehand. So it's still just luck of the draw when you check the site.

10 2,062
 10-29-2014, 09:37 AM
User Info
Thanks John - but from what I can see they seem to be prototypes still?

2 68
 10-29-2014, 09:50 AM
User Info
(10-29-2014, 09:07 AM)taborcarn Wrote: Yes, they are still being released in small batches every once in a while. But due to the negative feedback Joe got from the whole release process, he is no longer announcing the release times beforehand. So it's still just luck of the draw when you check the site.

Any idea if he plans on having enough to keep them in stock on his site?

82 21,056
 10-29-2014, 10:12 AM
User Info
I don't think anybody knows anything for certain. I gave up dealing with the whole thing; it sounds like a good razor, but not worth the trouble.

29 1,776
 10-29-2014, 11:29 AM
User Info
(10-29-2014, 09:37 AM)Nrahuf Wrote: Thanks John - but from what I can see they seem to be prototypes still?

(10-29-2014, 09:50 AM)celestino Wrote:
(10-29-2014, 09:07 AM)taborcarn Wrote: Yes, they are still being released in small batches every once in a while. But due to the negative feedback Joe got from the whole release process, he is no longer announcing the release times beforehand. So it's still just luck of the draw when you check the site.

Any idea if he plans on having enough to keep them in stock on his site?

Sorry guys I don't know any more than that, was just reposting what I've seen on other forums and social media. But I did see people were able to purchase some as recently as last week.

10 2,062
 10-30-2014, 01:36 PM
User Info
Their like concert tickets someone buys all of em then sells on auctions for double or triple the price. Not worth the trouble imo

0 52
 10-31-2014, 08:46 AM
User Info
agreed i gave up as well

0 70
 11-01-2014, 03:10 PM
User Info
We'll have a mongoose on the way so probably give up also.

2 68
 11-03-2014, 10:44 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Joe painted himself into a corner on these. The CNC process does not scale well. That is, the per-unit cost and manufacturing time is the same whether you are making 10 or 10,000. Given that, under the best of circumstances, only 5-10 of these can be made per day, and the demand is in the thousands, it'll be some time before supply has caught up. If Joe were to make a waiting list, it would be over a year long.

I'm sure at some point, he will meet demand, but I wouldn't expect to see them in stock anytime soon.

22 823
 11-04-2014, 01:39 AM
User Info
It is frustrating - but I see the new ATT slants available soon - so will have to turn my attention thier I think.

2 68
 11-04-2014, 05:13 AM
User Info
(11-03-2014, 10:44 PM)chamm Wrote: Joe painted himself into a corner on these. The CNC process does not scale well. That is, the per-unit cost and manufacturing time is the same whether you are making 10 or 10,000. Given that, under the best of circumstances, only 5-10 of these can be made per day, and the demand is in the thousands, it'll be some time before supply has caught up. If Joe were to make a waiting list, it would be over a year long.

I'm sure at some point, he will meet demand, but I wouldn't expect to see them in stock anytime soon.
While it doesn't scale well he can still make more than current production. Above The Tie had no issues.

His issue is he is using a manufacturer with a small operation. This is apparent by how many he is making (very few) as well as all the finish issues. If you spec a razor finish and it doesn't meet the quality I can't imagine a shop having him pay for it. It has been out awhile now and even making 5 a day he should have over 100. His mistake was also posting 3 at a time. All that does is frustrate people.

0 70
 11-04-2014, 06:27 AM
  • slr31
  • Garden City, India
User Info
(10-29-2014, 10:12 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: I don't think anybody knows anything for certain. I gave up dealing with the whole thing; it sounds like a good razor, but not worth the trouble.

+1. I would love to buy it but not how it is sold currently. I do hope he can find ways for more razors to be made at a time.

81 557
 11-04-2014, 06:33 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
(11-04-2014, 05:13 AM)Jinx18 Wrote:
(11-03-2014, 10:44 PM)chamm Wrote: Joe painted himself into a corner on these. The CNC process does not scale well. That is, the per-unit cost and manufacturing time is the same whether you are making 10 or 10,000. Given that, under the best of circumstances, only 5-10 of these can be made per day, and the demand is in the thousands, it'll be some time before supply has caught up. If Joe were to make a waiting list, it would be over a year long.

While it doesn't scale well he can still make more than current production. Above The Tie had no issues.

His issue is he is using a manufacturer with a small operation. This is apparent by how many he is making (very few) as well as all the finish issues. If you spec a razor finish and it doesn't meet the quality I can't imagine a shop having him pay for it. It has been out awhile now and even making 5 a day he should have over 100. His mistake was also posting 3 at a time. All that does is frustrate people.

ATT hasn't suffered the same problem because the razors cost $185, not $80. Mark my words, if Stan sold ATT for $80, he would be in a very similar boat.

It's also my understanding that ATT contracts with multiple machine shops, or at least with a machine shop that has multiple machines. There is a danger in this, though, because you have to ensure that a razor that comes from machine A is identical to one that comes from machine B. Of course, it isn't impossible, but introduces a whole extra level of testing and quality control that may be above Joe's expertise. Stan has been at this for a little bit longer, and has probably learned from his experiences.

Still, if 2,000 people wanted an ATT razor, I think Stan would be hard-pressed to deliver on a "fast" timeframe.

Standard disclaimer: I'm talking out of my butt a little here, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I'm an IT geek with a logical mind and a good grasp on technology in general. However, everything I know about manufacturing, I learned from Google searches and watching "How It's Made" with my kids. If you know anything about manufacturing, you probably know more than me. Biggrin

22 823
 11-07-2014, 05:56 PM
User Info
(11-04-2014, 06:33 AM)chamm Wrote: Standard disclaimer: I'm talking out of my butt a little here, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I'm an IT geek with a logical mind and a good grasp on technology in general. However, everything I know about manufacturing, I learned from Google searches and watching "How It's Made" with my kids. If you know anything about manufacturing, you probably know more than me. Biggrin

You're doing OK, Mr. Chamm

0 19
 11-07-2014, 08:53 PM
User Info
(11-07-2014, 05:56 PM)JDCNC Wrote:
(11-04-2014, 06:33 AM)chamm Wrote: Standard disclaimer: I'm talking out of my butt a little here, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I'm an IT geek with a logical mind and a good grasp on technology in general. However, everything I know about manufacturing, I learned from Google searches and watching "How It's Made" with my kids. If you know anything about manufacturing, you probably know more than me. Biggrin

You're doing OK, Mr. Chamm

+1 Sound postulate, Craig! Biggrin

82 21,056
 11-10-2014, 02:50 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
If you really want one, the DLC stainless versions have been going on the bay for about 200 bucks. Granted, that is double the price that they originally sold for, but not much more than a stainless razor from ATT.

I am lucky enough to have this razor and love how it shaves, quite unique.

17 437