10-29-2014, 08:23 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Wanted to share this brush I made for a friend, and thank those here who gave me tips in my other thread! I spent more time on the polishing with this one, cross sanding in each grit up to 12k, then polishing with an automotive plastic lens polish and it came out perfect Heart

Love the look of this material, a dark purple and copper swirl, one side being more purple, the other being more copper. I just wish it had a little more weight to it.

He wanted a brush that would be easy to control on his face for winter time, when he grows a beard and just needs to shave around the edges, so I picked out a 20mm Finest Fan from TGN

Measurements ended up being:
Knot at base: 22.5mm
Loft: 47mm
Handle Height: 55mm

(Ignore the crooked knot, it hasn't been glued in yet)
[Image: CopperPurpleSwirl1_a.jpg] [Image: CopperPurpleSwirl1_b.jpg]
[Image: CopperPurpleSwirl1_c.jpg]
[Image: CopperPurpleSwirl1_d.jpg]

Thoughts on the knot choice? I bowl lather, shave everything, and prefer bigger knots in a bulb shape...so I'm just guessing/hoping this will work for him

And again, any critiques are welcome. This is still a learning experience for me Biggrin

10 411
 10-29-2014, 09:29 PM
User Info
Daryl, funky-looking handle! I like it. Smile

82 21,056
 10-29-2014, 10:39 PM
User Info
It looks great!

67 2,171
 10-30-2014, 06:54 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Thanks guys Biggrin
Celestino, it looks like the pattern in this would fit right in as a background to your avatar pic there lol

10 411
 10-30-2014, 07:07 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
That material has a gorgeous color! Nice job!

34 1,628
 10-30-2014, 10:18 AM
User Info
Nice work!

0 33
 10-30-2014, 10:26 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Thanks Biggrin

Well, no one chimed in on the knot selection, so I set it with the epoxy on my lunch break today and will just cross my fingers that i made the right choice lol

He didn't give me much to go on; "not a big knot" and "a longer, thinner handle".
Pretty sure this is only his second or third brush, so he wasn't really sure what he's looking for yet

10 411
 10-30-2014, 10:31 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I'm sorry...I was too taken by the gorgeous pictures to notice that the knot wasn't glued in Tongue

I think the TGN finest in fan that you have in there is perfect...Definitely a crowd pleaser and an excellent all around choice, particularly for someone not sure what direction to go. I think it offers a broad range of attributes.

34 1,628
 10-30-2014, 10:50 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I did mention it......sheesh, I'm going to have to start posting questions first and make you wait for the pics, people get too easily distracted by pretty pics around here LOL Tongue

Thanks for the comment though, it's reassuring Smile

10 411
 10-30-2014, 11:07 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(10-30-2014, 10:50 AM)Kavik79 Wrote: people get too easily distracted by pretty pics around here LOL Tongue

Completely true in my case Tongue

I am mesmerized by the color. I have seen it before but your pics give it a different perspective from what I've seen before. You have successfully added a brush with this resin to my list of "must haves" for my den....thanks Biggrin!

34 1,628
 10-30-2014, 11:25 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Anytime! Happy to be an enabler lol

This is a tricky material to capture in a pic. These were taken under a "daylight lamp", so it should be close to naturally lit, but in mid-day sunlight the purple is a little lighter. Under cool temp bulbs in my bathroom the purple is darker, almost fading to black. And between those two options and the warm light bulbs in my dining room, the copper ranges from reddish copper to bright copper to gold. It's a photography nightmare haha

10 411
 10-30-2014, 01:25 PM
User Info
Great brush, excellent work!

1 632
 10-30-2014, 02:42 PM
User Info
lovely handle!

8 43
 10-30-2014, 03:05 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(10-29-2014, 08:23 PM)Kavik79 Wrote: Wanted to share this brush I made for a friend, and thank those here who gave me tips in my other thread! I spent more time on the polishing with this one, cross sanding in each grit up to 12k, then polishing with an automotive plastic lens polish and it came out perfect Heart

Love the look of this material, a dark purple and copper swirl, one side being more purple, the other being more copper. I just wish it had a little more weight to it.

He wanted a brush that would be easy to control on his face for winter time, when he grows a beard and just needs to shave around the edges, so I picked out a 20mm Finest Fan from TGN

Measurements ended up being:
Knot at base: 22.5mm
Loft: 47mm
Handle Height: 55mm

(Ignore the crooked knot, it hasn't been glued in yet)
[Image: CopperPurpleSwirl1_a.jpg] [Image: CopperPurpleSwirl1_b.jpg]
[Image: CopperPurpleSwirl1_c.jpg]
[Image: CopperPurpleSwirl1_d.jpg]

Thoughts on the knot choice? I bowl lather, shave everything, and prefer bigger knots in a bulb shape...so I'm just guessing/hoping this will work for him

And again, any critiques are welcome. This is still a learning experience for me Biggrin
I have a TGN Finest Fan knot in a Made Rite handle that Gary did for me. It is great for bowl lathering hard soaps and is very good at face lathering as well with it's notable back bone. I really like what you did there.

7 2,281
 10-30-2014, 06:36 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Very nice!

12 743
 10-30-2014, 08:08 PM
User Info
Pretty cool design

0 98
 10-30-2014, 08:18 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
(10-30-2014, 01:25 PM)Simpson1919 Wrote: Great brushes, excellent work!
Wow, that's high praise, considering the source! Blush

(10-30-2014, 03:05 PM)Mouser Wrote: I have a TGN Finest Fan knot in a Made Rite handle that Gary did for me. It is great for bowl lathering hard soaps and is very good at face lathering as well with it's notable back bone. I really like what you did there.
Thanks for the review of the knot Mouser! I think you just talked me into trying one of their fans myself, next time I place an order Biggrin

And thanks to all the other compliments!
The knot glued in perfectly, nice and straight, now I've just got to wait a week before the guy is back in the area to see how he likes it

10 411
 10-31-2014, 04:06 AM
User Info
Nice work Daryl! Biggrin

3 900
 10-31-2014, 05:57 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Daryl, great job on the brush. Second brush I restored had this knot in it. I have a thread about it here. I absolutely LOVED that brush with that knot. I too prefer smaller knots and used to have a goatee back then, so I can assure you, it's a great choice. I now prefer slightly larger bulb shaped knots and I gave away the fan knotted brush to a friend since. He is new to using a shaving brush and it was his first brush. He likes it a lot! It is a great knot and works real well in a smaller size.

The handle and the pictures are also very pretty. The material is amazing. It is a PIA to turn if it's PR, which I think it is. Got go slow and steady or it will blow up or tear out like crazy. As to finishing, I think you did a great job. I find PR to be easier to finish than a CA coated wood. You can just go crazy with abrasives on the PR whereas on a CA coat you have only so much thickness to get the finish to your liking. If you go over that you need to start over with more coats. Been there, done that.

Good luck on your turning, you are doing great!

--
Vladimir

26 1,737
 10-31-2014, 06:44 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Thanks for the additional reassurance on the knot Vladimir. That restore you did looked nice!

I had bought a bunch of different materials, from different sites and different manufacturers....i don't remember anymore which were what, so i was calling it acrylic as a general term, but that's probably not right
I looked it up and this material was referred to as Acrylester.....i guess that would be some sort of polyester acrylic?
Either way, you're right though, it polishes up beautifully, without having to add any additional finish, but it does love to send shrapnel flying at you if you're not careful! And, man, what a mess it makes lol

10 411