Poll: Do you have a rotation?
 05-27-2012, 02:51 PM
User Info
It seems like most people on these shaving forums have a rotation rather than always using the same stuff all the time.

I, at the moment, have a rotation. But once I'm done using everything on my "To get" list, I might just stick to using what works best for me. Probably not, but maybe. Confused

I imagine most of you long-time traditional wet shavers never had a rotation before the internet, right?

0 214
 05-27-2012, 02:57 PM
  • England
User Info
I just open the box and pick what ever takes my fancy. Biggrin

0 110
 05-27-2012, 02:58 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-27-2012, 02:51 PM)Pnume Wrote: It seems like most people on these shaving forums have a rotation rather than always using the same stuff all the time.

I, at the moment, have a rotation. But once I'm done using everything on my "To get" list, I might just stick to using what works best for me. Probably not, but maybe. Confused

I imagine most of you long-time traditional wet shavers never had a rotation before the internet, right?

To show you how ignorant of all this I am (but I'm learning!) I had no idea what anyone was talking about when they mentioned their "rotation". The thought of having more than one razor was inconceivable to me until recently. As soon as possible I intend to get me one started too. Anyone know a good divorce lawyer??? Biggrin

0 396
 05-27-2012, 04:29 PM
User Info
I don't have a specific set rotation but I don't use the same razor, soap or brush two days in a row.

0 145
 05-27-2012, 05:11 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
A rotation implies a schedule, to me, and I don't do that. But I do use lots of different soaps.

10 1,858
 05-27-2012, 05:24 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Neither poll answer seemed to fit.

I open the drawer, choose a soap or cream, then determine which brush will get used.
I'm stuck on using an R89 most days.
However, Saturday's are usually "SE Saturday."

47 1,378
 05-27-2012, 05:42 PM
User Info
I have a rotation but my father and grandfather both used one brush, one soap, one razor and one bottle of aftershave. I know that my father used Old Spice and I think that my grandfather used Yardley. I think that they would get a good laugh out of what we do today. I remember that they looked at shaving as a chore that had to be done to look presentable and not as a lifestyle choice.

0 64
 05-27-2012, 06:00 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I don't really have a rotation either, although I love the idea of SE Saturday and Sunday. I think I'll steal that from you Max if that's ok.

116 3,804
 05-27-2012, 06:35 PM
User Info
Variety is nice to have, but not essential as it is just a luxury we have at the moment. i would guarantee that we would all use one of everything if we were required to, but fortunately, would do not have to.
i rotate my 10 brushes, 7 preferred open-comb razors + my Cobra and my three soaps; just use OSMA alum, Thayers and Unrefined Shea Butter and water as my constant items.

75 20,883
 05-27-2012, 09:30 PM
User Info
No set rotation for me. I'm pretty set on my razors; either the Gem OCMM or Valet AutoStrop VC1. Occasionally the DE will get used and that is almost always the Sledgehammer Slant. As for lather making I'm very "willy nilly"! Just go for a soap & brush that I feel like using. Tomorrow for instance, I was planning on using MWF with my Muhle Black Fibre brush, but as I'm typing this I'm now leaning toward the La Famiglia Zi' Peppino with the SOC 2-band. Oh, I so love choice when it comes to lather.

31 7,914
 05-27-2012, 09:47 PM
User Info
Variation is part of what makes this fun!

3 3,580
 05-28-2012, 01:41 AM
User Info
"Variety is the very spice of life, that gives it all its flavour." Cool

2 5,532
 05-28-2012, 01:57 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
Random selection within the scope of what's in the Nook - it's the only way to go (for me). Mood has a lot to do with the day's choice.

1 290
 05-28-2012, 03:17 AM
User Info
I do tend not to repeat razors, but select the day's one by mood ... same with soaps / creams.

On the other hand, I have only 3 brushes I tend to gravitate to my New Forest 2201 ... it is getting a lot of use.

What remains fairly constant is the use of Bozano's (almost never change) and home mentholated hammamelis + skin food as an after (ala 444).

0 68
 05-28-2012, 04:31 AM
User Info
No rotation,one or two bulletproof stainless steel razors get it done for me these days,I enjoy zen like peace in knowing a razor very well.

I'll occasionally pull out something vintage on the weekend but not often.

7 414
 05-28-2012, 05:47 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I rotate, but selections are random...

91 17,875
 05-28-2012, 05:57 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
The best part of traditional wet shaving is the variety of products available. I love using a variety of brushes, soaps, blades and razors.

1 3,507
 05-28-2012, 07:21 AM
User Info
I rotate my brushes according to an obsessively maintained schedule. I semi-rotate my razors, depending upon how I'm feeling. And I just match the soap/cream to whatever brush I happen to be using and an aftershave to the soap or cream. And of course Mournful Mondays dictate vintage stuff.

184 12,003
 05-28-2012, 07:34 AM
User Info
I pretty much stick with what works best for me. However, when I first became involved with shaving forums, I tried a lot of different shave gear (which I still have and may use again some day)! Smile

0 1,377
 05-28-2012, 08:44 AM
User Info
I voted no, but I do jump between Proraso green and Proraso red; which I only do to keep the tubes at an even level. I use Alt Innsbruck about twice a month rather than my everyday Proraso A/S, I'll also use 4711 if the mood strikes me. I use the same razor unless I get my hands on something I've never tried or feel like using a straight and in that case it's the same straight. I use the same brush until I get something new and exciting. Same blades unless I run out and need to go to my back ups.

I don't really screw around with what works for me--it took many products and many razors to reach this.
Here's my "If it ain't broke..." set up:
Hoffritz slant or 6/8 Wacker
Feather - Back up Personna and Astra
Proraso red and green creams
Proraso A/S - Alt Innsbruck and 4711 occasionally
Semogue OC boar (didn't like it at first, but now I love it)

Typically I'll buy some cream or soap that I've never used when I restock just to try it out. I'm done trying aftershaves and blades.

9 451