11-01-2014, 07:30 AM
User Info
Just had my first safety razor shave. I didn't use a shaving cream or soap, instead I've used a shaving foam. Used an Edwin Jagger 89DE that I got from West Coast Shaving and the Derby Extra blades that the razor came with. I did 2 passes(WTG and XTG). I thing that I did OK for my first time. No nicks, no cuts. Loved the sound that the blade was making but most of all loved how the blade glided over my face. Never had that feeling with a cartridge. Definitely like this a lot. Already have a brush. Silvertip 22 mm knot and 50 mm loft from Whipped Dog. Just didn't have any shaving cream at hand.

0 98
 11-01-2014, 07:37 AM
User Info
welcome to the brave new/old world. one thing to consider now is skin care together with these wonderful shaves. you will want to get an alum block and styptic pencil. one person here said blood is natures lubricant. another one I suggest is a good quality witch hazel from something like a health food store. just leave the alum on while you clean up and then don't forget to rinse it off. witch hazel is excellent for skin irritation. then pick an aftershave that you enjoy and you are done.

73 1,297
 11-01-2014, 05:57 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Another thing. You said you have a brush. Get some shave soap so you can make your own lather. Try the VanDer Hagen, available in most major drug stores and Wal Mart. It works great and is easy to lather. There are many threads on Shave Nook that will teach you how to make it. BTW--- The aerosol agents in that gel or any canned goo for that matter, dry your skin. Until you make and use lather you ARE NOT wetshaving. Also, Hydration is most important for a great shave. Shower or wash your face and leave wet. Then apply your lather. After you have completed your shave, rinse and apply Witch Hazel and let it dry. Then finish with aftershave.... Alum is a bit too drying for me. Good Luck Newb.....HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 11-03-2014, 09:58 AM
User Info
Nowhere to go but up from here. Smile

Let us know how things go once you've tried a soap or cream.

I second the suggestion of using an aftershave. I wouldn't have thought it would make much of a difference, but the skin on my neck doesn't like to go without it.

Good luck and happy shaving!

0 1,072
 11-03-2014, 10:20 AM
User Info
Congratulations on taking the first steps of your journey. Don't hesitate to ask questions, that's one of the reasons we're here.

207 12,266
 11-03-2014, 10:22 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
All good advise above. Might also look at using a good balm. Especially during the dry winter months.

178 23,809
 11-03-2014, 01:08 PM
User Info
I'm with Johnny. Balms are excellent!

1 1,975