11-01-2014, 11:18 AM
User Info
If I use an alum block do I still need to use an aftershave? I know that a styptic pencil is for closing a cut, but can an alum block do that also? How many of these products do I need? What do i use first? The alum block or the aftershave?

0 98
 11-01-2014, 11:30 AM
User Info
The alum block will disinfect and seal up tiny nicks and weepers. An aftershave would really only be needed for scent at that point.

The styptic would likely only be needed if you have a nick that's too deep for the alum to handle.

25 242
 11-01-2014, 04:02 PM
User Info
I use the alum block after rinsing my face, I let that stay on my face while I rinse, clean, and rotate the blade in my razor for the next days shave. Then rinse the hell out of my face with warm water and pat dry. Then splash on some witch hazel let that soak in... then follow up with AS.

I haven't use a styptic for decades as the alum does it all. If I get a really bad nick, just press and hold the alum block on nick for a while.

Brought to you by Steven Banks, his Nokia Icon & Tapatalk

0 53
 11-01-2014, 04:07 PM
User Info
I like Pacific's Nick Stick. It lasts forever and you don't have to worry about white residue. I found that just using alum doesn't necessarily close up all nicks and weepers.

84 1,505
 11-02-2014, 06:10 AM
User Info
I still use an aftershave balm when my skin feels dry (we have very dry winters where I am), after Alum use. Like Mr Banks said, pressing and holding Alum on a knick can often seal it - I use my styptic way less after learning this trick.

0 4
 11-02-2014, 09:56 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I pretty much do the same. If I use witch hazel, then I dispense with the splash. I finish with a balm or shea butter.

(11-01-2014, 04:02 PM)S_Banks Wrote: I use the alum block after rinsing my face, I let that stay on my face while I rinse, clean, and rotate the blade in my razor for the next days shave. Then rinse the hell out of my face with warm water and pat dry. Then splash on some witch hazel let that soak in... then follow up with AS.

I haven't use a styptic for decades as the alum does it all. If I get a really bad nick, just press and hold the alum block on nick for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 286
 11-02-2014, 10:55 PM
User Info
Alum and after shave really do different things; so they aren't interchangeable IMO.

FWIW, I almost never use an alum block on my face, underarms, yes, but if I need alum for the face it's the styptic form. Then after it has worked it's magic, I blot it off and follow with an after the shave product. Alum is very drying if left on the face; after all, it's a salt.

32 6,445
 11-03-2014, 06:00 AM
User Info
My personal experience with the alum block was not good. I started off my DE adventure using it every day. What I thought was "feedback" about deficient technique, in the form of red bumps, turned out in my case to be irritation from the alum. I benched the block and turned to Shea Moisture's aftershave product (or sometimes Cool Fix by Shave Works if I've overdone it a bit).

As a result, I have been quite happy.

8 896
 11-03-2014, 06:15 AM
User Info
I use both alum and aftershave - but then, I shower after my shave and before putting on the aftershave.

3 4,373