05-27-2012, 04:37 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: 1000x1000_elite_shave_soap.jpg]

I can only say : what a great shaving soap this one is! I know that some people who have tried old Floris shaving soaps and new ones,complaint about the "poor" performance of the new ones.However I have tried JF and this Elite and I can only say that are BRILLIANT shaving soaps.Worth of their price?Well,thats up to every person,but Im happy with the Elite and JF shaving soaps.

I have received one of the previous new blue packaging,and these are its shaving ingredients :

[Image: componentes.jpg]

So as you can read its a soap which contains Potasium and Sodium Sterate and Palm Oils,and also,its soap based formulation its pretty similar to some of the best UK made in shaving soaps,like Trumper Coconut and Violet :

[Image: GFTss.jpg]

Or even the Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad and Sienna shaving soaps :

[Image: C_E_Sienna_Shave_Soap.jpg]

It seems that the new Floris N89 (the reformulated version) is only Palm Oil based :

Potassium palmate, Sodium palmate, Potassium Palm kernelate, Sodium Palm kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua, Parfum, Palm Kernel fatty acid, Sodium chloride, Pentasodium pentetate, Tetrasodium etidronate, Limonene, Linalool, Geraniol, Citronellol, Coumarin, Citral, Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) Extract, Benzyl Benzoate, CI 77891 (titanium dioxide).

Something else that I do like about the Floris soaps are its wooden bowls : I find them to be the best ones out there,much better than the Creed ones,and always so nicely finish it.

[Image: P1240233.JPG?m=1338156564]

The lather I can make from this soap its really thick and creamy,something that reminds me of Yardley shaving soap (yes,I know what Im saying).Once again,the Floris Elite lather is really creamy and I cant make such a creamy lather with many soaps out there (and I think I have tried a few myself...).Here is a pic of the lather :

[Image: P1240237.JPG?m=1338164844]

Like the JF shaving soap,this provides a lot of skin care protection as well as a good glide of the razor.Its a slick lather,with not a lot of cushion like a shaving cream,but good enough.

My skin after the shave feels perfect,not a sign of dryness,even when my skin its really dry.I tested it today with the New Muhle 41 open comb razor (3 passes) and my skin was perfect after the shave.

And what about its scent?

According to Floris,these are the notes of the Elite shaving soap :

Quote: The mellow woody notes are enlivened with a cool citrus twist of bergamot, lemon and orange punctuated with the green resinous notes of cedar leaf and spicy juniper berry. Lavender and fir balsam with a touch of bay are key to the character of the heart and are reinforced by the woody notes of patchouli and vetiver. Mossy notes then play a leading role as the fragrance evolves with amber, musks and a hint of leather in the base.

This is a manly scent,no doubt about it,but not as fresh as the JF one,and with more deep notes.Maybe is not the best one for summer/hot days but perfect for the rest of the year.Of course,is an elegant fragrance,not a "macho man" one and would pleasure the ones are looking for a classy scent on the mild zone.

The scent also lingers through the shave and leaves your skin lightly perfumed after it.

I know that UK soaps (but D.R. Harris) arent enjoying their best days.However,I find that many UK soaps are simply great,and this is one of them with not a shadow of a doubt.A puck of JF is heading my way too,another good UK soap.

86 7,123
 05-27-2012, 10:37 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-27-2012, 10:27 PM)offshoot Wrote: Brilliant? Really?

Brilliant mate,really.

86 7,123
 05-27-2012, 10:54 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Teiste,

Thank you for another fantastic review. I have the no 89, and have been less than impressed with it. Do you have any suggestions? Perhaps the difference between the formulas is what has been giving me difficulty

9 541
 05-27-2012, 11:38 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-27-2012, 10:54 PM)GreekGuy Wrote: Teiste,

Thank you for another fantastic review. I have the no 89, and have been less than impressed with it. Do you have any suggestions? Perhaps the difference between the formulas is what has been giving me difficulty

Im afraid that JF and Elite soaps are better than the N89,my friend.I haven't tried the new N89 but a gentleman from the Spanish forum,who is a Floris lover,have tried it,and told me that even now its not as good as the other two ones. Potassium and Sodium Sterate,I think thats the secret for JF and Elite to work that wells,omething that the new and previos N89 shaving soaps,dont have,but the vintage one.

These are the ingredients of the "vintage" N89 shaving soap :

[Image: Floris.jpg]

This is the previous N89 shaving soap formulation (some of the pucks didnt even lather) :

sodium palmitate, potassium palmitate, water, sodium cocoate, potassium palm kernelate, sodium palm kernelate, glycerin, fragrance, Palm kernel fatty acid, sodium chloride, Titanium dioxide, tetrasodium etidronate, pentasodium pentetate, tetrasodium EDTA, limonene, linalool,geraniol,citronellol and coumarin.

And this is the newest one (2011) :

Potassium palmate, Sodium palmate, Potassium Palm kernelate, Sodium Palm kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua, Parfum, Palm Kernel fatty acid, Sodium chloride, Pentasodium pentetate, Tetrasodium etidronate, Limonene, Linalool, Geraniol, Citronellol, Coumarin, Citral, Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) Extract, Benzyl Benzoate, CI 77891 (titanium dioxide).

86 7,123
 05-27-2012, 11:44 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Thanks Tieste. Thats unfortunate news about the no 89. I'll try longer loading to see if that solves the problem. I find it performs closer to GFT than DRH for me.

9 541
 05-27-2012, 11:46 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-27-2012, 11:44 PM)GreekGuy Wrote: Thanks Tieste. Thats unfortunate news about the no 89. I'll try longer loading to see if that solves the problem. I find it performs closer to GFT than DRH for me.

Would you let me testing it?Im pretty interested in finding a "dud" puck of Floris or GFT,since I havent came across with one yet.

86 7,123
 05-27-2012, 11:48 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(05-27-2012, 11:46 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(05-27-2012, 11:44 PM)GreekGuy Wrote: Thanks Tieste. Thats unfortunate news about the no 89. I'll try longer loading to see if that solves the problem. I find it performs closer to GFT than DRH for me.

Would you let me testing it?Im pretty interested in finding a "dud" puck of Floris or GFT,since I havent came across with one yet.

Absolutely

Although perhaps the problem lies with me in that I have only tried them each a few times respectively (large rotation...) and haven't given them a fair chance. If you say you haven't found a dud puck I will certainly take that as evidence that I need to try harder

9 541
 05-28-2012, 12:02 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-27-2012, 11:48 PM)GreekGuy Wrote:
(05-27-2012, 11:46 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Absolutely

Although perhaps the problem lies with me in that I have only tried them each a few times respectively (large rotation...) and haven't given them a fair chance. If you say you haven't found a dud puck I will certainly take that as evidence that I need to try harder

No,I think that I have been lucky,thats all.There is a lot of evidences out there about many made in UK shaving soaps not performing as such...well,not even as a hand soaps, since its impossible to make them lather.

86 7,123
 05-28-2012, 04:45 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review Teiste. I've only used the no.89 shave cream, might have to try to find a puck of Elite...

91 17,798
 05-28-2012, 11:10 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-28-2012, 04:30 AM)offshoot Wrote:
(05-27-2012, 10:37 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(05-27-2012, 10:27 PM)offshoot Wrote: Brilliant? Really?

Brilliant mate,really.
Ok, if YOU say so, most likely it is then.

I had JF and Elite cakes 3-4 years ago and I wouldn't say they were brilliant. There has been some improvement I think.
Vesa,are you still having them,my friend?Do you know its ingredients list?

86 7,123
 05-28-2012, 11:15 AM
User Info
(05-28-2012, 04:45 AM)ben74 Wrote: Great review Teiste. I've only used the no.89 shave cream, might have to try to find a puck of Elite...

If you check the selling and trading section, you'll see that I have one for sale.

183 12,002
 05-28-2012, 12:22 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I, too, had no luck with the No. 89. I wrote and complained to the company a couple of years ago and they admitted to trouble with that formula and sent me the Elite, as well as a bottle of the Elite aftershave balm, for my trouble. The Elite soap back then was better than my original No. 89 but still not that great for me. Maybe I'll have to revisit the Elite.

Edit: I just checked my puck of Elite and while mine is in the green packaging, the ingredients are identical to your puck.

2 11,211
 05-28-2012, 03:13 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-28-2012, 12:22 PM)freddy Wrote: I, too, had no luck with the No. 89. I wrote and complained to the company a couple of years ago and they admitted to trouble with that formula and sent me the Elite, as well as a bottle of the Elite aftershave balm, for my trouble. The Elite soap back then was better than my original No. 89 but still not that great for me. Maybe I'll have to revisit the Elite.

Edit: I just checked my puck of Elite and while mine is in the green packaging, the ingredients are identical to your puck.

Well,its clear that some batches of these soaps arent as good as others,for what it seems like.

86 7,123
 05-28-2012, 05:14 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Tieste,

I tried lathering with the soap today again. I discovered 2 things. First, it is important to use a very dry brush or else you will end up with more frothy lather than a bubble bath. Second, I was able to make a very nice looking thick lather. I was about to believe that I was far too quick in judging this soap. Once I applied it to my face, however, it quickly dried out. I suspect that this is one of those soaps that requires a lot of loading, and then slowly working in water to the lather, or "coating" it with water on the face to maintain the consistency. It's not a technique I've had to employ often but certainly one I've needed in the past.

Here is a photo after loading:

And another showing the brush remnants:

The strange thing, however, isn't that it breaks down like some poor performers (new Pen's, I'm looking at you) but that it dries out very rapidly

9 541
 05-28-2012, 05:51 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-28-2012, 05:14 PM)GreekGuy Wrote: Tieste,

I tried lathering with the soap today again. I discovered 2 things. First, it is important to use a very dry brush or else you will end up with more frothy lather than a bubble bath. Second, I was able to make a very nice looking thick lather. I was about to believe that I was far too quick in judging this soap. Once I applied it to my face, however, it quickly dried out. I suspect that this is one of those soaps that requires a lot of loading, and then slowly working in water to the lather, or "coating" it with water on the face to maintain the consistency. It's not a technique I've had to employ often but certainly one I've needed in the past.

Here is a photo after loading:

And another showing the brush remnants:

The strange thing, however, isn't that it breaks down like some poor performers (new Pen's, I'm looking at you) but that it dries out very rapidly

Very interesting,my friend.

This is how I load my brushes,with a kind of dry brush and loading it,for at least,40 seconds.Later I will add drops of water and there you go,a creamy lather.

Looking forward to test this soap,my friend,Thanks for the pics!

86 7,123
 06-02-2012, 12:31 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have received a new Floris Elite shaving soap,and check out this formulation :

[Image: P1240309.JPG?m=1338668641]

Which is NOT the same,than this other one :

No Potassium and Sodium Sterates,no Stearic Acid either,just palm oils,no good on my book.I havent tried it yet,but now I can understand why so many people have been seriously dissapointed with some Floris soaps...Angry

86 7,123
 06-02-2012, 12:41 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Great write up Teiste. I have the 2nd most recent version of Floris 89 soap (immediately prior to this latest version). I can get a decent shave from it, but it's not brilliant. The scent is my favorite of all the soaps in my den, though, so I continue to use it. But now I think I must pick up a puck of the new JF or Elite.

43 1,690
 06-02-2012, 01:30 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info, Teiste.

75 20,883
 06-03-2012, 12:26 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
To add more confusion,I got this puck for testing purposes from Freddy (thanks my good friend) :

[Image: P1240314.JPG?m=1338753949]

[Image: P1240317.JPG?m=1338753949]

It has this formulation :

but it lathers and smells different to the other two pucks that I alredy have.This one smells even more intense and better,much better.But requires a lot of time to build in the lather,since the first lather you get its really frotty and I thought "no way I can make quality shaving lather with it".Well,after almost 3 minutes,I did and it was super creamy lather,so I have to post pics of it and compare it with the other two pucks of Elite I already have.

86 7,123