11-02-2014, 10:14 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Not living in the US, the typical barbershop aftershaves aren't exactly easy to come by. Brands like Old Spice, Skin Bracer and some others used to be locally available until the 80s and then, they all disappeared. As I only had to start shaving in 1985, I've never used what my elders depended on daily.

That changed two days ago. I was in a fragrance shop to pick up some things for the lady of the house when I spied a few familiar looking bottles. I snagged some Skin Bracer and Old Spice Classic.

The Mennen scent isn't something I Iike but it's mild cooling effect is quite refreshing. Scent fades quickly enough so it doesn't clash with whatever fragrance I choose to wear.

Tried the Old Spice and I like the scent better than Skin Bracer (with all due apologies to the late Jack Palance.) Post shave feel was good and the scent mellowed to even more agreeable levels after an hour.

Not inclined to use these when I go to the office but for weekends and my upcoming sabbatical, both will do just fine.

Now, I'm even more curious about the phenomenon named Floid.

2 286
 11-02-2014, 10:23 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I've been shaving since 1962. My father always used Mennen shave cream and Skin Bracer, and my grandfather Old Spice shave soap and aftershave, and I therefore used them exclusively for over 20 years. I agree, they are not something that I would now use when going to the office, but I still occasionally use them on weekends, as they bring back many fond memories. I feel the same way about Floid products, although many people use these daily.

38 5,108
 11-03-2014, 08:51 AM
User Info
All I love is the classics, besides a couple new fragrances.

Pinaud Clubman, Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Brut, all of these are my go to products daily. Pinaud Vanilla, being my absolute favorite.

1 1,975
 11-03-2014, 04:12 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
A lot of products with a expatriate ( US military) customer base left after Mount Pinatubo closed down the bases. I worked one summer making solar panels. The local Filipino gang 'satanas' decided my aftershave made my sexuality suspect.
I'm in the men's room and 3 come in flicking balisongs. I hear my name and a balisong comes flying over a toilet stall, which I caught and flicked open.
Then retired USN CPO Reyes comes out, still zipping his pants and takes out two yelling 'ano am agustimo?. CPO Reyes was A. an Escrima champion and B. wore Mennen aftershave

2 3,171
 11-04-2014, 10:56 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Kav,

Yes, these old brands used to be more readily available when the American bases were still up and running. I'm assuming that this unsavory experience happened outside the base?

2 286
 11-04-2014, 08:06 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Karlo
This happened in California long after we were both out of the military. We have a sizeable Filipino community so I have ready access to panzit. CPO Reyes was shocked A. I knew what balut was and B. ate one with him.
I posted a comment in the cooking thread. Sharing food is probably one of the most sacred acts between people. It certainly helped gaining his respect!
balisongs are illegal to carry now, but it was fun flicking it in front of the one satanas' noseHambre with my best crazy look.
I have it packed away somewhere. I should try shaving with itConfused

2 3,171
 11-05-2014, 04:22 PM
User Info
Most drug stores around here (Cleveland) carry some of the classics. I got a few to try out: Skin Bracer, Old Spice, and Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum. Skin Bracer's scent is OK, but my skin loves it. I really like Old Spice (though I understand it doesn't smell like it used to), and it's OK on my skin. The Pinaud Bay Rum seems to be the only one with a scent that sticks to me for a while. Initially, I thought it made me smell a bit like a Honey Baked ham, but it has grown on me.

0 1,070
 11-05-2014, 05:30 PM
  • lowjax
  • I can customize myself
  • Milwaukee, WI
User Info
Not much in the chain drug stores here. Some Brut, Old Spice, Mennen, and maybe Aqua Velva. A beauty store chain has some Pinaud Clubman Original, but that's about it for box stores. Anything else has to be ordered online or else at a boutique/specialty store.

1 47