11-04-2014, 10:22 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
This review is recovered from the old review section for archival reasons

Disclaimer: This review is in no way the opinion or endorsement of The Shave Nook

Feather Artist Club SS Japanese Style Razor.

I shaved with straight razors for many years, but due to some nerve damage in my hands due to age and diabetes, I had to give up straight razor shaving.

I've often stated I would give anything to be able to shave with a straight again and Ravi excepted the challenge.  He said he had a razor he wanted me to try and if I liked it he would make me a deal.  Well, I fell in love with this little razor and the deal was made.  What that deal was is between Ravi and me.

Now to the razor.  First off for me this razor is easy to hold.  The non-slip handle makes it easy to steady and the way it is shaped makes it easy to rotate between my fore finger and thumb, no matter which hand I use.  It is extremely easy to maneuver around those tight places like the nose and ear areas.

I've tried most of the blades out there for this type of razor and I have found for me the KAI Captain Mild and the KAI Captain Titan Protouch MG blades works best.  For now I have decided to use the Protouch MG blades just in case I get a twitch in my hands.  I feel this gives me a little better protection from putting a slice in my face or neck.  With this blade I can get an extremely close three pass shave.  Not BBS, but pretty darn close.

So, if you are like me and find it difficult to use a straight razor, I highly recommend you try one of these.  I just wish I had tried one years ago.

Thanks Ravi for the great razor.

[Image: Photo0551.jpg][Image: Photo0522.jpg][Image: Photo0527.jpg][Image: Photo0532.jpg][Image: Photo0512.jpg]

178 23,807
 11-04-2014, 10:24 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Excellent, Johnny!

102 18,647
 11-04-2014, 10:55 AM
User Info
Nice one Johnny great to see you get back into straight razor shaving, and more importantly find a razor that really suits your needs.

11 1,940
 11-04-2014, 11:03 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I feel like a kid in the candy store with this razor. My wife leaves the room when I start to shave as she fears I will remove something I'm not suppose to. Wink

178 23,807
 11-04-2014, 01:30 PM
User Info
Congrats and thanks for the review.

9 1,203
 11-05-2014, 04:56 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I've enjoyed seeing the razor in your SOTD photos Johnny.
Thanks for review.

59 4,486
 11-05-2014, 01:22 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Excellent Johnny! Biggrin

This is one of my favorite razors of ANY type!!!

Blessings,
James

9 1,684
 11-07-2014, 03:13 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Johnny, these types of reviews are what make TSN so valuable. Kudos to Ravi for the suggestion. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 02-09-2015, 06:58 AM
User Info
I got one of the folding Feather Artist Club DX razors and the Feather pro-guard blades. I didn't know about these other blades that are available. Thanks for your great review and the tip about Captain Titan.

I always enjoy your posts.
Euro

5 395
 03-13-2015, 02:55 PM
User Info
Loved using the SS on poonjaji's tour...such a cool razor.

8 915
 01-08-2016, 02:45 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
I have been wanting to get one of these or one of the folding to try out maybe its time...

16 784
 01-14-2016, 06:45 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Recently re-acquired this razor. The first time I tried it - I just couldn't get the hang of things - did not feel comfortable.

Round 2 is going much better. I enjoy learning this new skill. With the current Yen-USD exchange rate - this razor is also much more economical.

I recommend this razor for those making their first foray into straights.

17 535
 05-01-2016, 09:12 AM
User Info
Question on this razor as I am thinking about trying straights again, I had serious troubles with a new boker I tried last year and then quickly went back to a safety.

When we watch Youtube videos or getting info on how to use is the same basic principal the same whether it be a shavette or a straight?

It seems though sharper the SS with the beginners blades might be a bit more forgiving and the angle a bit steeper.

Any suggestions or input would be highly appreciated.

Erik

5 139
 05-01-2016, 09:41 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(05-01-2016, 09:12 AM)Azpatriot66 Wrote: Question on this razor as I am thinking about trying straights again, I had serious troubles with a new boker I tried last year and then quickly went back to a safety.

When we watch Youtube videos or getting info on how to use is the same basic principal the same whether it be a shavette or a straight?

It seems though sharper the SS with the beginners blades might be a bit more forgiving and the angle a bit steeper.

Erik

Erik, I am a big fan of the Feather Pro Guard blade and use it exclusively in both of my Feather DX razors. It does provide extra protection while being a very sharp and smooth shaver. I use the same techniques and shaving pattern as straight razor shaving with just a lighter touch in consideration of the increased sharpness of the feather. Good Luck if you decide to give it a try.

59 4,486
 05-01-2016, 11:07 AM
User Info
(05-01-2016, 09:41 AM)eengler Wrote:
(05-01-2016, 09:12 AM)Azpatriot66 Wrote: Question on this razor as I am thinking about trying straights again, I had serious troubles with a new boker I tried last year and then quickly went back to a safety.

Erik

Erik, I am a big fan of the Feather Pro Guard blade and use it exclusively in both of my Feather DX razors. It does provide extra protection while being a very sharp and smooth shaver. I use the same techniques and shaving pattern as straight razor shaving with just a lighter touch in consideration of the increased sharpness of the feather. Good Luck if you decide to give it a try.

Thank's Ed,

I am going to give it a try but before I get it in I am going to hunker down on info/videos and then go slow with the learning.

5 139