11-04-2014, 05:14 PM
User Info
Anyone have the Classic synthetic in here? I was wondering how it performed. I have the Chubby LE synthetic and it makes a mean lather but requires a little too much pressure to splay for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18 326
 11-04-2014, 06:44 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
The first release of Chubby synthetics had a 48mm loft. I have one of those and enjoy using it. The current offering is a 52mm loft and is a very different brush. I consider it one of my top brushes. I have not tried the Classic, but it seems very similar to the current Chubby 2 synthetic. I don't see an entry for it on their site, but I assume the main difference would be a smaller knot.

19 566
 11-04-2014, 07:21 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 326
 11-04-2014, 07:36 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
I too have both the prototype (first offering) and current CH2 synthetics, they are different brushes for sure. I also have a prototype Classic synthetic.
Simpson has done the same with the Classic as they did with the Chubby. The first release was the prototype fiber that they used in the first CH2s. Mark has said that the production Classics are going to have the new fibers that they are using for the CH2s.
I would think that the difference would be similar. The current CH2 synthetic dose not need the same pressure and is a very nice very soft brush.
Simpsons made a tweet today about the Classic 1 Synthetic being available now. No mention on price.

28 1,622
 11-04-2014, 07:43 PM
  • Rob W
  • Central IL, USA
User Info
I think the Classic 1 Synthetic that was tweeted about today is a different fiber than the Classic 1 Prototype that was sold previously. I think these fibers are going to be the same as the ones in the Chubby 2 Synthetic. I could be all wrong however.

4 633
 11-05-2014, 04:36 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
How does the Simpson synthetic fiber compare to Mühle's current STF? The Classic size is great for travel but in Best, does not dry as quickly as I would like.

2 286
 11-06-2014, 10:37 PM
User Info
Try Mühle Silvertip Fibre

0 1
 11-06-2014, 11:50 PM
User Info
Supposedly the production Classic 1 was going to use different fibers.

It's listed in Simpsons "Limited Editions" now, and I have an inquiry out to them asking about the fibers used.
-------
How does the Classic 1 Syn' compare to the Muhle? The Classic 1 is denser and has more push back than the Muhle that I have (Muhle 20mm STF w/ faux ivory handle) . I believe my Muhle is the lastest fiber. But that makes sense since The Classic 1 is shorter lofted so as to fit into the travel tube. I don't find either to be better or worse, but different. I like both brushes.

Edit: I got an answer back from Mark. Yes, the fibers are different in the production version of the Classic 1. They are the same fibers as used in the Chubby 2 and he claims they are very soft.

32 6,459
 11-07-2014, 08:59 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Brian, don't know if I understood this correctly. You're saying that the current Classic 1 on sale at the Simpson's website now has the same Gen. 4 fibers the Chubby did? Which are different from the Classic 1 you bought.

26 4,928
 11-07-2014, 09:14 AM
User Info
(11-07-2014, 08:59 AM)TheMonk Wrote: Brian, don't know if I understood this correctly. You're saying that the current Classic 1 on sale at the Simpson's website now has the same Gen. 4 fibers the Chubby did? Which are different from the Classic 1 you bought.

That's exactly the way I understood it. I'll post Marks response and my questions to Mark.

What we bought a few months ago were prototypes and it was understood at the time that the prototypes would be different from the production brushes. Mark confirmed that.

Our correspondence follows: (blank lines removed)

Hi,
I have a Classic 1 synthetic in prototype flavor. Is the current offering still the prototype, or is it the production version?
Too, is there much of a difference in the fibers if it is the production version? If different, in what way?
Thanks!
Brian K

Hi Brian,
This is the full production version – same hair that is being used in the Chubby 2 synthetics, very soft.
Many thanks.
Kind regards,
Mark Watterson

32 6,459
 11-07-2014, 09:19 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Thanks for clearing it up, Brian. That could make for a very interesting travel brush indeed.

26 4,928
 11-07-2014, 09:19 AM
  • Rob W
  • Central IL, USA
User Info
I don't know if the fibers in the Classic 1, that was just announced, are the same as the Chubby 2 synth. I can say that the fibers in the Classic 1 that was on sale a few months ago were different than the Chubby 2 and were an older generation that the Chubby 2. They were not as soft. I was not a big fan of the knot that was in that Classic 1. I hope this is a different knot in the new Classic 1.

4 633
 11-07-2014, 09:33 AM
User Info
I have the first run chubby synthetic le. I'm thinking about selling it and getting a classic and new chubby 2 synthetic. My main priorities are soft brushes that splay easily

18 326
 11-07-2014, 09:51 AM
  • Rob W
  • Central IL, USA
User Info
(11-07-2014, 09:33 AM)Miketorrge Wrote: I have the first run chubby synthetic le. I'm thinking about selling it and getting a classic and new chubby 2 synthetic. My main priorities are soft brushes that splay easily

If easily splayed is a priority, then I would not recommend the Chubby 2 Synthetic. Regardless of what loft it has it is not a brush that splays easily. I would look at a Plisson. I have not tried the EJ XL yet but a lot of good things have been said about it, I should have one next week so I will be able to comment then.

4 633
 11-07-2014, 10:49 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(11-07-2014, 09:51 AM)Rob W Wrote:
(11-07-2014, 09:33 AM)Miketorrge Wrote: I have the first run chubby synthetic le. I'm thinking about selling it and getting a classic and new chubby 2 synthetic. My main priorities are soft brushes that splay easily

If easily splayed is a priority, then I would not recommend the Chubby 2 Synthetic. Regardless of what loft it has it is not a brush that splays easily. I would look at a Plisson. I have not tried the EJ XL yet but a lot of good things have been said about it, I should have one next week so I will be able to comment then.

I'm also looking forward to try the EJ XL, but it will most likely not splay as much as the Plisson, specially due to the higher density, in comparison to the Muhle 25mm.

If you want a synthetic brush that is soft and also splays easily, your best bet is the Plisson.

26 4,928
 11-07-2014, 12:52 PM
User Info
Thanks guy. You just saves me some money. I may get the classic still. It seems to have a higher loft which should open up nicely. I have an stf and a plisson and both are very good. Edge goes to the Plisson for me. Just wanted to test out their new fibers at Simpson

18 326
 11-07-2014, 08:45 PM
User Info
Mike, good luck with the Classic and let us know what you think if you get it! Smile

83 21,077
 11-09-2014, 12:07 AM
User Info
I just dropped the hammer on one. I haven't been buying much lately, but the production version of this brush I have definitely been waiting for. I'll be able to compare the prototype and the production fibers. Not that I don't like the prototype (I do), but I hope the production brush is significantly different. I simply like variation.

FWIW, today it's about $80 shipped to the USA; about 50 GBP.

32 6,459
 11-09-2014, 08:29 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Brian, please let us know how it behaves. I'm seriously tempted to replace my Muhle STF v2 21mm with this one, but the short loft and consequent lack of splay always scares me. That's the reason I sold my only Simpson to date, the earlier batch CH2.

26 4,928
 11-09-2014, 08:58 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
45mm is a real short loft for a synthetic...

37 1,862