03-04-2012, 08:31 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
When I first started on the boards, the Royall line of aftershaves was all the rage, especially Royall Limes , Royall Vetiver, and Royall Bay Rum. You could only get it at a few places (Vintage Blades and maybe Smallflower) and it was going for around $55.00 per bottle plus shipping. Everybody seemed to have a bottle and those who didn't have one sought them out on the B/S/T.

Fast forward a bit and Royall introduced a few more scents (Mandarin, Spice) and the aftershaves became readily available on Ebay, Amazon and even at discount Brick and Mortar stores such as TJMax. The same exact aftershave, the exact same packaging but with prices at less than half the original MSRP. Funny, now that it is both readily available and affordable, you never hear of it anymore.

I used the Royall Lime aftershave this morning for the first time in a long time. It is a decent aftershave and at the TJMax or Ebay prices, well worth picking up a bottle or two. I believe that I got my bottles for around $20 each through Ebay.

45 16,359
 03-05-2012, 11:55 AM
User Info
Royall, for the quaint old-world misspellings that denote quality. I was in Bermuda for New Year's and saw Royall products in several stores. My fingers were itching, but buying anything would have meant checking my bag when heading home. It was a tense internal debate, I can tell you. But I did pick some Lyme aftershave recently, and I really like it. I now realize I have a lot of lime, lemon, and orangy software. It's going to be a citrusy summer.

9 166
 03-05-2012, 08:44 PM
  • function
  • lavendarian
  • Houston, Texas, US
User Info
Fantastic reasoning there middlesmith. I think I might di something similar.

0 18
 03-06-2012, 04:31 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
IIRC... The Royall with the the heavy metal cap was made in the Bermudas. However, they started making it in the US, it has a different cap and many were complaining the quality had dropped along with the price. I can't say that I have noticed any change in the product. However, I did keep my better caps to replace the plastic caps from the US made bottles.

0 253
 03-11-2012, 02:38 PM
User Info
We may not hear of Royall aftershaves much on the forums nowadays, but the total number of forum members is just a tiny drop in the shaving bucket. What about the other 99.999999% of shavers? Given the very large number of brick-and-mortar and online outlets selling the stuff, Royall aftershaves must be quite popular.

0 303
 03-11-2012, 03:20 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Last time I was there Classic Shaving still has them in 2 sizes...you can purchase on line or in the Palm Springs CA store.

6 1,913
 03-11-2012, 05:55 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I do remember when it was all the rage and everybody had to have it. Now that its not so popular nos has to be gotten rid of.

100 12,450
 06-30-2014, 04:22 AM
User Info
The Lyme was my dad's favorite, and I remember receiving a bottle of it as a gift when I was in college. Loved that heavy metal cap. I wonder if by chance my dad still has one of those bottles.

6 725
 06-30-2014, 09:32 AM
User Info
Anybody seen this at TJMaxx lately?

15 762
 06-30-2014, 02:48 PM
  • jcmy53
  • Cincinnati, OH
User Info
I regularly use Royall, good stuff. I recently bought both the Royall Mandarin and Royall Rugby, both still have metal caps, although now lined with a plastic insert. Royall is available at Brooks Brothers.

--
John

13 2,105
 06-30-2014, 03:32 PM
User Info
I love this stuff, I bought the 8 oz bottle off FragranceNet during a recent sale just to backup my 4 oz bottle in the bathroom.

The fresh lime top-note fades quickly, but that is OK thanks to the warm masculine base notes that hang around

8 240
 07-04-2014, 04:49 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I regularly have 2/3 Royall aftershaves in my rotation. Currently it's Spice and Lyme, but I'll be adding a Bay Rhum, my favourite BR, as soon as I've finished my Captain's Choice.

5 761