11-06-2014, 01:04 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My very first online order was a MERKUR HD, 50 MERKUR BLADES, a 'starter brush in best badger' Harris Rose in the wooden bowl and two refills.
O.K. two out of three and I discovered shaving forums, Phil and the Merkurs did do yeoman duty cleaning mold from the bathroom pre painting. Mold screamed louder than I didBiggrin
I discovered MWF and Super Iridiums about the time my nephew bought a EBAY straight razor and a can of BARBASOLA47
So I gifted the starter brush and remaining Harris to him.
He just visited. He's admiring my small shaving area and admitted HE'S STILL USING BARBASOL. My brother made some crack about 'girlymen' using rose scent and not OLD SPICE like me and your grandfather.
The Harris has sat, unused these past few years. The bowl is hopelessly crackedDodgy but I have 2 unopened refills.
I just rediscovered how GOOD this stuff is. I give up. I was going to stick with a Spartan regimen of product; Mais, viva la difference! Now I want some Sandalwood.
lesson learned: Products have their 'day in the sun and on forums.' It pays to go back and get reacquainted.

2 3,171
 11-06-2014, 03:24 PM
User Info
Enjoy the soap, sir! I really enjoy the way your transcribe your thoughts into words! Clap

82 21,076
 11-06-2014, 04:00 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
You have DR Harris Rose Soap? I didn't even know it existed! I have a vintage DR Harris soap that mentions a "Cologne" scent being available (along with the Arlington, Almond and Lavender which are still made) but I would love to see a rose puck, especially if you still have the box listing the ingredients.

Interestingly, my vintage soap has tallow and lanolin and makes for a great shave!

144 2,743
 11-06-2014, 04:49 PM
User Info
Makes me wonder why Harris (the gold standard among soaps) stopped making Rose.

Also, for those who want one, why they don't make a fragrance-free soap.

I would talk to DR himself but he is long gone. How does that go - - "old shavers never due, they just lose their edge."

16 351
 11-06-2014, 05:08 PM
User Info
(11-06-2014, 01:04 PM)kav Wrote: My brother made some crack about 'girlymen' using rose scent and not OLD SPICE...

your brother is wrong. real men love rose scent and roses.

here is shah jahan - a great macho - albeit a refined cultural man of merit. i have visited his rose gardens in srinagar & lahore & elsewhere.

[Image: zZCGD0b.jpg]

7 1,624
 11-06-2014, 06:02 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
OOPSBlush I have GEO F Trumpers AND Harris soaps I gifted him. The rose is Trumpers. They are both lovely products.
As for the Shah? I was newly returned from military service and a short string of adventures (Europe by rail, 3 months in a Buddhist temple, 3 months doing a grizzly bear survey on the Katmai in Alaska) to shake off those 6 years before starting University.
It was post Iran revolution and 'International Day' on campus with ethnic food booths. I saw my friend Roya in ancient silk dress and pillbox hat with another Persian girl; Faribha.
They were being ostracized so I started wiping out my monthly food budget on kebabs, basmati etc.
I'm impressing Roya quoting from the Rubaiyatt. But Faribha is staring WIDE eyed like the whole night sky was in them in wonder at this American quoting Persian poetry in front of some hostile football team members swaggering back and forth like wannabee John Waynes.
I'm on my 3dh plate of kebab and can smell Faribha's rosewater splash. Roya gently whispered she was Shi'ite and, 'oh, remember I'm jewish.'
Then Faribha whispered " I DON'T CARE." We dated VERY FORMALLY for a year before she went back east for post graduate work.
I have a set of miniature painted cufflinks of a rosegarden she gifted me.
roses rockHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

2 3,171
 11-09-2014, 12:32 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
As a quick followup; Both soaps were old stock. I know UK soaps had a hiccup in bad production runs when the actual maker changed.I recall people getting upset when their badger brushes turned a faint pink from the rose colouring too.
Again, it comes back to a simple stratagem: one I financially wish I could follow.
If you find a product and really love it- buy as much as you can.
My nephew just admitted the Harris had fallen down his back seat. That is two years of car temps ranging from the high desert cold to 100 degrees.
It lathers like I grabbed it off the lorrie.

2 3,171
 11-10-2014, 04:52 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
love the stories kav
and hoarding! i fully approve (even if my wife doesn't)

17 439
 11-13-2014, 01:31 AM
User Info
Thanks! This reminds me I have two cakes of old stock Trumper's Rose in my little box Smile

0 57
 11-15-2014, 05:19 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
"a refined cultural man of merit..." - now that is something to aspire to.

I love Rose. BUT it needs to be done right...like Wickham's or Simpson's. A true English Rose. Would love to try a vintage Harris rose soap.

168 1,376
 11-15-2014, 08:16 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
A great thread. I am inspired, I think I will put my only rose, Czech & Speake No.88, on deck for tomorrow.Biggrin

28 1,622