11-06-2014, 01:31 PM
User Info
We've all had those mornings where we just don't get going as early as we should. However this doesn't change our appreciation of a good shave.

For me it's a quick face lathering with a shave stick, usually Arko, a fast lather with a TGN 2-band brush dipped in hot water and 2 efficient passes while deliberately slowing myself down to focus on good technique. A quick splash of Clubman, rinse my of my razor and cleaning of my brush and out the door.

I'm always amazed at how good these hurried shaves are.

What's your "I'm in a hurry shave"?

3 460
 11-06-2014, 01:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When I use to have those situations it was the Lather King Hot Lather Machine and the Schick Injector. Two quick passes and some Mennen Skin Bracer.

Since retirement, there is no such thing as a rushed shave. I no longer let a clock or a Franklin Planner run my life.

179 23,946
 11-06-2014, 01:44 PM
User Info
I can't wait for those times, Johnny.

Just a Trac II for me and a very cold shave if possible. Though, I only head shave.

1 1,975
 11-06-2014, 03:15 PM
User Info
My shaves don't vary much even when I am in a hurry with my gear and what you see in my SOTD pics from Monday to Friday is what I use. However, I have been using my straight on the weekends, but I would never use one of those if I were in a hurry! Biggrin

83 21,115
 11-06-2014, 03:25 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I can shave pretty quick when I have to. Like Johnny I reach for my Schick (E3 for me). There's a VDH bowl (the blue and green one) on the counter with a puck of Deluxe in it. That and the Schick and I can do one or two passes pretty fast. And a one pass mix of WTG and ATG with the Schick will work 90% of the time.

2 1,697
 11-06-2014, 06:33 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I usually don't allow that to happen. I'd rather miss breakfast or get up extra early, than rush my shave. I can now shave nearly as quickly with a straight as I did with a DE, but if I ever did have to rush, it would be with my Cobra.

38 5,201
 11-07-2014, 08:59 AM
User Info
Mine is is also with a shave stick, and a refurbished Simpson Berkely 46 with a TGN two-band knot. I can normally get a decent one-pass shave if I'm really hurried, or a two-pass with the following:

RazoRock Stealth Slant (definitely built for speed)
Simpson Berkely 46 w/ TGN two-band
Speick Shave Stick or Synergy 1.5 CaD Shave Stick
RazoRock Alum Stick (if I have the extra 30 seconds)
Speick Splash or Fine American Blend

I used the "hurry-up-offense" shave the other day, and from the time I started rubbing the soap on my face, until the time I put my razor away was about 7 minutes for two passes, alum, and cleaning and drying my razor. If I skip the alum, do one pass, and only do a quick rinse of my razor I can be done in under 4 minutes. But, who wants to do that? I certainly only do this when I have to, and I really enjoy taking my 15 minutes or so to do a proper shave.

6 61
 11-07-2014, 09:03 AM
User Info
La Toja shave stick, or Em's place cream (with a pump dispenser), directly to the face. Lathered with a synth (usually a TGCo or an older generation FS). Two passes -- with an iKon SB or Weber DLC usually, though the past couple/few weeks it's been all SE experimentation. I can go pretty quick and close with the Ever Ready 1924.

7 315
 11-07-2014, 09:25 AM
User Info
(11-06-2014, 01:31 PM)redrako Wrote: I'm always amazed at how good these hurried shaves are.

maybe your great hurried shaves are due to extreme focus and you just take action without thoughts on your self?

i never do a hurried shave. i walk slowly.

7 1,624
 11-07-2014, 10:10 AM
  • lowjax
  • I can customize myself
  • Milwaukee, WI
User Info
When I am forced to be rushed, then I use C.O. Bigelow Shave Foam. It's not great, but it works. I do have 2 other brushless creams as well that I have on deck. I will probably always have one brushless or foam on hand for those days. I had a tub of Every Man Jack cream that I really liked, but that's gone now. I might restock that in the future.

[Image: premiumfoam_500.jpg]

[Image: 300.JPG]

1 47
 11-07-2014, 03:27 PM
User Info
(11-06-2014, 01:31 PM)redrako Wrote: We've all had those mornings where we just don't get going as early as we should. However this doesn't change our appreciation of a good shave.

For me it's a quick face lathering with a shave stick, usually Arko, a fast lather with a TGN 2-band brush dipped in hot water and 2 efficient passes while deliberately slowing myself down to focus on good technique. A quick splash of Clubman, rinse my of my razor and cleaning of my brush and out the door.

I'm always amazed at how good these hurried shaves are.

If in a hurry, I use Proraso shaving foam (either of the 5 depending on my mood) and a Fusion cart. Do I have 1 minute extra, I use the Proraso preshave cream to get the extra benefits. I find that the preshave cream really works when you use the canned goo, because you really need the extra protection in this case Wink

24 6,021
 11-08-2014, 09:19 AM
User Info
I'm almost NEVER in that big a hurry. Maybe once every three or four months.

When it happens, I apply TOBS cream with my hands and shave two passes with an Atra.

Like I said, though, it's a RARE occasion for me.

2 1,557
 11-08-2014, 10:27 AM
User Info
When I'm in a hurry it's a two pass shave using the green can of Barbasol and my Gillette Sensor. I apply the lather with my Semogue 1305. It's really a nice shave actually.

Clayton

6 636
 11-08-2014, 10:31 AM
User Info
Mdc and a 2-pass shave, done in no time! Smile

54 1,214
 11-08-2014, 10:47 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Those are times I reach for a DE... Usually a Weber.

Since I use straights 99% of the time, the DE shave is about as abbreviated as I need. Three passes with the DE take about a tenth of the time a nice straight shave takes.

Software and brush don't change

33 914
 11-08-2014, 11:00 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(11-06-2014, 01:39 PM)Johnny Wrote: When I use to have those situations it was the Lather King Hot Lather Machine and the Schick Injector. Two quick passes and some Mennen Skin Bracer.

Since retirement, there is no such thing as a rushed shave. I no longer let a clock or a Franklin Planner run my life.
+++1, second paragraph.

7 2,361
 11-08-2014, 11:03 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
When Im in a hurry: TOBS or Simpson cream, Ikon 101, Gillette Silver Blue (new blade) and whatever brush is at the front of the cabinet. Two passes and done in less than ten minutes.

29 1,627
 11-08-2014, 05:06 PM
User Info
I'm better off skipping a day instead of having a rushed shave. They're not pretty...

If I know that I'm going to be short of time in the morning, then I shave that night. It's not BBS in the morning, but it's more than presentable.

0 27
 11-08-2014, 10:08 PM
User Info
If I'm pressed for time I'll reach for a Schick Injector instead of one of my usual single edge razors, I'll use a shaving cream instead of my usual shaving soap, and I'll just do a two pass shave.

Mostly I try not to put myself in that situation.

--Bob

0 185
 11-09-2014, 08:24 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I really don't like to shave in a hurry, but when it happens (mainly white traveling), I usually use a shaving stick like the Valobra or La Toja, a synthetic brush like the Muhle STF v2 21mm, the Merkur 34C and the Azulen aftershave balm.

26 4,953