11-06-2014, 06:34 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I received the new Barrister & Mann Fougère Classique after shave splash yesterday and thought I'd post some initial thoughts on it.

Packaging: I like the little brown bottle and the plastic cap with hole that allows you to splash just the right amount into your hand.

Skin care: I can feel the witch hazel in the splash, as I get a little burn from it initially. My skin felt a little tight the first 15 minutes or so afterward, then evened out to a nice, smooth, normal feel. I don't feel like the splash is moisturizing, and it certainly doesn't leave any sort of a film or greasy feeling - just a clean, toned result. Depending on the weather, I might want a little more moisturization from my AS, but that's just my skin type.

Scent: Here's the crux of the matter, and the reason I think for buying this product. Will has concocted a very sophisticated fragrance here, and I find it very appealing. If you read the fragrance notes on the B&M website, you'd think he just threw in everything but the kitchen sink:

"Notes of oakmoss, coumarin, and lavender are lightened by refreshing bergamot and warm, sunny geranium. Touches of vanilla, heliotrope, jasmine, rose, and ylang ylang round out the top of this lush, elegant scent, underlaid by rich musk, anise, patchouli, vetiver, and velvety labdanum."

Over the course of the day, I pick up hints of most of these notes, and the scent of the AS lasted me a good 5-6 hours. Will has said this AS complements the Fougère soaps in his catalogue, and I think the word "complement" should be taken to mean just that. In my opinion, the AS does not smell like the soaps, but the scent of it goes well with the soaps. If you want an AS or cologne that smells like the B&M Fougère soaps, you will be happier with Penhaligons English Fern or (my preference) Trumper Wild Fern. The B&M Fougère Classique AS smells more floral and powdery than the Fougère soaps, and I attribute this to a pretty dominant geranium note in the AS. The more herbal and earthy tones found in the soaps are present in the background of the AS and present themselves as mere hints or suggestions.

I'll sum this up by saying I really enjoy this new AS from B&M. I think it is one of those complex scents that I will become even more fond of the more I use it.

Andrew

43 1,705
 11-06-2014, 06:39 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Very enlightening Andrew, excellent write up...thank you for posting your thoughts! Mine is on the way and I'm very excited to receive it.

34 1,627
 11-06-2014, 06:51 PM
User Info
It smells fantastic but did leave my face feeling toned and a bit tight ... great, lingering scent though.

I think if Will made this fragrance in Tonique and Kyouvu formulations it would be lights out.

102 1,541
 11-06-2014, 06:57 PM
User Info
Great Review! Thank you!

46 1,102
 11-07-2014, 06:37 AM
User Info
(11-06-2014, 06:51 PM)Boonie21 Wrote: It smells fantastic but did leave my face feeling toned and a bit tight ... great, lingering scent though.

I think if Will made this fragrance in Tonique and Kyouvu formulations it would be lights out.

This IS the Tonique formulation. It's not meant to be a massively moisturizing splash, but it is supposed to counteract the drying effects of the alcohol. Interesting that you found that it left your face tight.

That said, wait until you see my new aftershave gel. Biggrin

5 407
 11-07-2014, 07:22 AM
User Info
(11-07-2014, 06:37 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: That said, wait until you see my new aftershave gel. Biggrin

Good thing I don't have kids to put through college. Biggrin

1 108
 11-07-2014, 09:01 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Very detailed review, Andrew. Thanks for sharing.

26 4,953
 11-07-2014, 11:56 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Andrew. I look forward to reading your continued experience as well as everyone else's.

(11-07-2014, 06:37 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: That said, wait until you see my new aftershave gel. Biggrin

What's this? I was just hoping this morning that you'd come out with a balm or something similar...Nice to hear you've been busy in the lab. Can't wait for this...

18 1,186
 11-08-2014, 08:51 PM
User Info
I haven't used it yet but so far just from smelling it out of the bottle, it's the best smelling aftershave I've ever come across. Two thumbs up to you, Will! Thumbup

46 1,102
 11-08-2014, 09:56 PM
User Info
Used this today, right after it arrived. The scent is complex, and lasted many hours. I already received two compliments!
Thanks.

10 1,708
 11-08-2014, 09:59 PM
User Info
Witch hazel burns?

3 254
 11-09-2014, 09:04 PM
User Info
Oh boy... There goes more money for the gel when it releases.... Slow down Will! Wink

102 1,541
 11-10-2014, 01:48 AM
User Info
Will, i think you need to tell us more about this gel.

IPhone 5S using Tapatalk

13 1,313
 11-10-2014, 06:23 AM
User Info
I've been using this aftershave for the past four days and I am a big, big fan. It is powdery when it first goes on, but settles into a nice, rich complex scent (I'm terrible at detecting specific notes, but I know it just "works"). I get a little "tingling" feeling at first (no burning, just an "antiseptic" tingle) that I cannot say is the result of the alcohol or the witch hazel. For an aftershave with alcohol, its very kind to my skin. Only Krampert's Finest has the same high-quality ingredients and balance of alcohol-based toning and moisturizing.

84 1,505
 11-10-2014, 08:03 AM
User Info
(11-10-2014, 06:23 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I've been using this aftershave for the past four days and I am a big, big fan. It is powdery when it first goes on, but settles into a nice, rich complex scent (I'm terrible at detecting specific notes, but I know it just "works"). I get a little "tingling" feeling at first (no burning, just an "antiseptic" tingle) that I cannot say is the result of the alcohol or the witch hazel. For an aftershave with alcohol, its very kind to my skin. Only Krampert's Finest has the same high-quality ingredients and balance of alcohol-based toning and moisturizing.

This saved me a lot of typing. I also get the tingle feeling and it even gives a warmth to my skin. It's quite comforting actually, like a warm hug to my face after I just scraped a metal blade across it several times. Biggrin

31 8,058
 11-10-2014, 08:11 AM
User Info
(11-10-2014, 01:48 AM)Rui Marques Wrote: Will, i think you need to tell us more about this gel.

IPhone 5S using Tapatalk

I'm nearly finished developing an alcohol-free gel that contains multiple botanicals to soothe irritation and moisturize the skin. It's kind of a bizarre product and might be a little revolutionary (I've certainly never seen anything else like it), so I'm a little hesitant to give more info on it for now. It will be available soon, though. Smile

5 407
 11-10-2014, 08:16 AM
User Info
(11-10-2014, 08:11 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote:
(11-10-2014, 01:48 AM)Rui Marques Wrote: Will, i think you need to tell us more about this gel.

IPhone 5S using Tapatalk

I'm nearly finished developing an alcohol-free gel that contains multiple botanicals to soothe irritation and moisturize the skin. It's kind of a bizarre product and might be a little revolutionary (I've certainly never seen anything else like it), so I'm a little hesitant to give more info on it for now. It will be available soon, though. Smile

Thanks Will. I know it is a little soon.
But it will be a preshave or after shave?

13 1,313
 11-10-2014, 08:17 AM
User Info
(11-10-2014, 08:16 AM)Rui Marques Wrote:
(11-10-2014, 08:11 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote:

IPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Aftershave. I'm developing a pre-shave too, but that will take me a bit longer.

5 407
 11-12-2014, 06:35 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
(11-10-2014, 08:17 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote:
(11-10-2014, 08:16 AM)Rui Marques Wrote:
(11-10-2014, 08:11 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: I'm nearly finished developing an alcohol-free gel that contains multiple botanicals to soothe irritation and moisturize the skin. It's kind of a bizarre product and might be a little revolutionary (I've certainly never seen anything else like it), so I'm a little hesitant to give more info on it for now. It will be available soon, though. Smile

Aftershave. I'm developing a pre-shave too, but that will take me a bit longer.

I am liking the sound of this. Can't wait...

18 1,186
 11-12-2014, 07:52 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I'm really interested in trying Baudelaire. Any ETA on more stock Will?

Andrew

43 1,705