11-07-2014, 05:19 AM
User Info
Hey Guys,

I'm in the market for a new brush; a silvertip. I want something super soft but with some backbone and no scritch. I have a TGN 2 band badger; a few of them actually which I love but I want something a little softer, but with similar backbone.

I've had a Vie-Long silvertip in the past, but the strikes against it were that it had a hint of scritch and the loft was a little too long. It wasn't floppy, but I found it a little hard to manage. The scritch would feel like the occasional pin prick while face lathering.

I also have a WD silvertip, but it's frustrating to use at times because it has very little backbone; so it's like lathering with a ball of cotton. It's very soft, but to the point of being unusable (for me and my liking).

I was just looking around online and came across TSS house brand Silberspitz knots. I can't find any reviews online so I turn to you to see if anyone has tried it and can comment. Here is a link to what i'm referring to: https://thesuperiorshave.com/german_brushes.html more specifically the Acrylgriff Schwarz handle.

I also wanted to see what the verdict was for Vie-Long's premium silvertip; specifically this one: http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/premium-s...16568.html

Thanks so much!

Hugh

23 656
 11-07-2014, 08:52 AM
User Info
Hugh, what size of knot are you looking for?

83 21,081
 11-07-2014, 09:31 AM
User Info
(11-07-2014, 08:52 AM)celestino Wrote: Hugh, what size of knot are you looking for?

My ideal knot size is 21-23mm. I find 24mm too large and haven't really used anything less than 20mm.

23 656
 11-07-2014, 04:54 PM
User Info
Vie Long 3-band amd 2-band badgers are the most overlooked high quality brush BY FAR !

I prefer my Vie Long badgers over my Semogue badgers.
They are excellent brushes at rather fair prices.

I would not hesitate a second to buy a Vie Long badger from Phil on bullgooseshaving or giftsandcare DOT COM.

24 5,972
 11-08-2014, 01:10 PM
User Info
Thanks Claus!

I've had a Vie Long silvertip in the past which was great but i'm hesitant to purchase another one as mine had the occasional stinger which would give me the odd pinprick while facelathering. Maybe the brush needed to break in some more but it was enough to make me trade the brush. I regretted the trade almost immediately though. I'm tempted to try another VL offering again.

My research leads me to believe that there have been over 300 TSS brushes brushes been sold since they started offering them, but I can't find a single review. Surely someone must have picked one up that can chime in?

23 656
 11-09-2014, 06:50 AM
User Info
I bit the bullet and ordered a Silberspitz in a walnut handle. They're supposedly handmade knots and handles from a little known German brushmaker.

I'll post a review once I get the brush in my hands.

23 656
 11-09-2014, 07:55 AM
User Info
got a olive handled one couple of weeks ago to compare the hair to higher end brushes ie a thader I wanted. the hair was quite soft not quite thader soft, the knot was 20.5 which without sufficient hair seemed floppy to me. the handle was gorgeous. if you are looking for a very soft pillow with not too much density this is a fine brush. I prefer em denser packed.

73 1,297
 11-09-2014, 11:16 AM
User Info
Thanks daveinsweethome. I pulled the trigger last night so too late to back out now. I have a Thater silvertip which is the right blend of backbone and softness for me; the knot/handle is just a little too large.

I'm looking for something that's soft, but with just enough backbone to provide some scrub. The reason I went with the walnut handle is the loft is 52.5 vs 57 which seemed typical of all the other models. Hopefully my assumption proves to be fruitful and I get an ideal brush.

23 656
 11-09-2014, 12:26 PM
User Info
(11-09-2014, 06:50 AM)Starkicker Wrote: I bit the bullet and ordered a Silberspitz in a walnut handle. They're supposedly handmade knots and handles from a little known German brushmaker.

I'll post a review once I get the brush in my hands.

Best of luck with the brush and let us know how you find it. Smile

83 21,081