05-28-2012, 07:13 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
So, my best friend spent the night last night, and for months I've been trying to get him to try wet shaving with a DE. He's admittedly terrified, and refuses to try it. Since he's captive at my house, I'm doing everything I can to get him to try it, even breaking out the scuttle and a silver tip.

Does anyone have any words of encouragement? I'll let him read the thread and hopefully we can get him to try it.

I've got three razors to choose from, and not 100% of which he should try. I've got on tap a 59' Fatboy, DE89, and an Ikon S3S. I think out of all of them, the fatboy set on 1 or 2 would make him the most comfortable.

Thanks in advance for any help!

9 408
 05-28-2012, 07:17 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Let him start off with the DE89. Start him off with a Red Personna or an Astra SP. If you need a 5 pack of Personnas or a 5 pack of Astra SP for him let me know and i'll send you some free

116 3,804
 05-28-2012, 07:22 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
(05-28-2012, 07:17 AM)Dave Wrote: Let him start off with the DE89. Start him off with a Red Personna or an Astra SP. If you need a 5 pack of Personnas or a 5 pack of Astra SP for him let me know and i'll send you some free

He's here right now, and won't do it on his own, so i'll go look at the blades I have for him to try.

I have a pretty decent assortment, so hopefully there'll be something good for him. The ones I know I have for sure are feathers, derbys, wilkinson swords, and some bic's. Ok, I also have person reds, 7'oclock yellows, vidyut supermax and an assortment of treet blades.

Thank you very much for your offer! I'm going to go check the den and see what's in there.

9 408
 05-28-2012, 07:26 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I'd start him off with the BIC's honestly. Derbys to me are far too unreliable as are Wilkies. If you start him off with a feather, then make sure it's in the DE89.

116 3,804
 05-28-2012, 07:29 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Got some personna reds as well. Looks like we've got the right combo!

9 408
 05-28-2012, 07:31 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Use the Personna Reds and the DE89. That should work well.

116 3,804
 05-28-2012, 07:34 AM
User Info
I'd second the DE89 for the razor. As for blade I can't recommend much as DE blades don't usually work well for me unless they are in a slant. Then my go to is a Voskhod, but I don't know if you have any of those. Good luck.

I'd just tell him that he's only going to have a single blade going across his face instead of 5+. Just no pressure and a good lather which you may want to make for him and go. Even if he still uses a cartridge I'd at least make him a lather so he can feel the difference between quality cream & goo.

31 7,914
 05-28-2012, 10:19 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Of course, blades have always been YMMV but I have always had good shaves with the Israeli Personna Red Pack blades. They are my blade of choice when I travel because they are so reliable.

2 11,211
 05-28-2012, 10:32 AM
User Info
(05-28-2012, 07:13 AM)biggiej42 Wrote: So, my best friend spent the night last night, and for months I've been trying to get him to try wet shaving with a DE. He's admittedly terrified, and refuses to try it. Since he's captive at my house, I'm doing everything I can to get him to try it, even breaking out the scuttle and a silver tip.

Does anyone have any words of encouragement? I'll let him read the thread and hopefully we can get him to try it.

I've got three razors to choose from, and not 100% of which he should try. I've got on tap a 59' Fatboy, DE89, and an Ikon S3S. I think out of all of them, the fatboy set on 1 or 2 would make him the most comfortable.

Today's cartridge and disposable razors are encased in plastic, and I think that's why people are afraid to handle a razor blade. Heck, I'll admit that I have cut myself changing blades.

It gives people the impression that DEs and SEs are dangerous, when in fact they really offer a smoother and more comfortable shave than the stuff currently in vogue.

0 282
 05-28-2012, 10:41 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Well, he went for it!

Used the DE89 and a red Personna blade, some tobs sandalwood and my DB 1.5 scuttle. He enjoyed it a lot, and had much much less irritation than with the cartridge. Unfortunately, he said he's unwilling to do it every morning, or every other morning, that he just doesn't have the time. He did say that he really like the feeling, and the shave, but too much work for him.

The only cuts/nicks were on his nostril, which he did by accident and not paying attention, and on the left side of his mouth. He said that his skin no matter what razor he uses, starts bleeding on the left side of his mouth. I couldn't believe it, no nicks or cuts, but blood. Must be super super sensitive skin there.

Anyway, he may come back to it if he feels he has the time in the morning, and I do plan on getting him his own DE89 just in case! He's already got a few AOS kits at home, so he's set in that department. He did mention he's going to start using the AOS cream in conjunction with a brush now though.

9 408
 05-28-2012, 10:58 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
If you convince him to keep trying the DE 89 is what he should start with. He will get quicker each time so you just have to keep him doing it.

45 3,955
 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
It's a good start. If he gets to enjoy it when he has the time he may discover that it doesn't take much longer to shave with a DE than it does with a Fusion, Hydro, Mach 3, or whatever the latest and greatest (Rolleyes) is out there and with incredibly better results. At least he took that first step and got past the fear factor. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 05-28-2012, 11:13 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(05-28-2012, 07:13 AM)biggiej42 Wrote: So, my best friend spent the night last night, and for months I've been trying to get him to try wet shaving with a DE. He's admittedly terrified, and refuses to try it. Since he's captive at my house, I'm doing everything I can to get him to try it, even breaking out the scuttle and a silver tip.

offer to give him his first shave using the DE89, if he agrees, do a quick map of his stubble growth, and only do a WTG, XTG one way, XTG the opposite way... and tell him

*well, at least it's not a STRAIGHT!!! Wink

best to you both!

9 1,684
 05-28-2012, 12:43 PM
User Info

Traditional wetshaving in its entirety is not everybody's cup of tea. Since it is the safety razor which instills apprehension in your friend, why not focus on the other aspects of traditional wetshaving? Even if he uses a cartridge razor, he will still benefit greatly from a good brush and a high-quality soap or cream. In time, he might decide to use a safety razor every day - or not. Either way, that is OK as he can still have better shaves than with goo-in-a-can. Giving him a copy of Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving might also help. It is an invaluable reference and quite inexpensive.

0 303
 05-28-2012, 01:48 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
He's definitely passed the fear factor, which is encouraging. I think he'll try DE again, but I told him to use the cream/brush in the meantime. It really only takes another minute or two, and much more enjoyable. I think he's slowy understanding. I set up the scuttle for him, so that took a few minutes extra, but I explained that he doesn't need to use one, and can lather up in a bowl or on his face.

We'll see how it goes, he did make a remark about how nice his face felt. He's just got to figure out why the one area of his face bleeds wether he shaves with a cartridge or a de.

9 408
 05-28-2012, 03:19 PM
User Info
You provided the opportunity. Give him time and he may choose to return to the DE another try on days when he has more time for the morning shave. He will move into this at his own pace and you have been a great friend to help him discover wet shaving.

29 1,731
 05-28-2012, 05:44 PM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
I am glad you got him to try wet shaving, keep us posted on any progress.

0 539
 05-28-2012, 07:26 PM
User Info
Now that he's had the experience, he knows what to expect, so that's good. I suggest getting him a '40s Super Speed or a Tech -- something really mild he can use to build some confidence. I think Derbys, Reds, or even the Yellow 7 o'clocks would be fine as a starter mix -- they're all smooth for me, anyway.

And here's a nutty idea -- have him dab an alum block there at his bleed-y spot before the shave. It might work.

Another good approach might be to get him a decent brush and some easy software, like some Speick or La Toja cream. Something almost foolproof and really, really nice. Get him hooked on that, and in the mean time get him a pack of Bic Metals disposables. I think they're Bics. Anyway, get him away from the multiblades, with proper software and brush and technique -- and bam, he's wetshaving. And a '40s SS is almost foolproof...

9 166
 05-28-2012, 09:08 PM
User Info
My goodness, what a strange comment! "i don't have time in the morning." What does that mean? i know that some folks are busy with kids and things, but that is bizarre to me. Even when i was not wet shaving, i still made time to get ready to go to work in the mornings. Do folks not do that any more as they are too busy, stressed or fatigued?
You should tell your friend that he will eventually get up excited about his morning shaves, with more vigour and energy to start the day instead of dreading getting out of bed! Biggrin

75 20,883
 05-28-2012, 09:36 PM
User Info
The loyal opposition speaks: when I mentioned this fellow to my wife, who is extraordinarily fearful that I am going to cut myself shaving and bleed to death, she said, "Just leave him alone. If he doesn't want to do it, that's fine." She said it, not I.

184 12,003