11-08-2014, 01:53 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Does anyone here know how to fly a small toy rc helicopter and/or quadcopter. I am looking for something small that can be flown indoors, isn't expensive, and doesn't have a huge learning curve. (I do realize that there will be learning involved but I am not looking at a complicated machine.)

Unfortunately, I need to read and have illustrations. There seem to be almost no books on the subject, directions come in almost impossible to figure out English translated from Chinese, and You Tube videos don't work for me. (I've tried and most are very poorly done, though well meaning.)

Any help would be appreciated.

2 11,211
 11-08-2014, 02:13 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Freddy, I have a vast RC background and have flown/fly everything from quads and helis to giant scale gas planes and even warbirds. I would recommend looking at the Blade brand, distributed by Horizon Hobby or at your local hobby shop. In their beginner series they have the "nano qx" that is a fun little quad, and for helis I'd recommend looking at the mcx2. Both should be easy to fly for a beginner and come in <$100, and the best part is when/if something happens, you can buy the replacement parts individually so you don't have to buy a whole new set up. Also, both are made for indoors.

Hope that helps...

34 1,628
 11-08-2014, 02:22 PM
User Info
I got a Parrot2 AR Drone, and it couldn't be easer to fly. Controlled from my tablet, it simply stops and hovers if I let go of the controls. The manual that came with it wasn't the most in depth, but it was in proper english at least Tongue

Their new Mini-drones uses the same control system (at least if their website and videos are to go by), but are much smaller and costs less. Downside is that you don't get two cameras and some of the other fancy stuff... the stuff that usually ends up with me having to put my drone back together Wink

3 4,482
 11-08-2014, 02:51 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Thanks, guys. I'll look at both. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 11-08-2014, 11:36 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Check out UJToys.com. I've bought both my helicopters from them (Syma S107 and S031G). Great prices and they have the spare parts you are going to need WHEN you crash it.
Get something small/cheap to learn on before you get anything larger.

47 1,923
 11-09-2014, 12:37 PM
User Info
Best of luck, Freddy! I always new you were still a kid at heart! Biggrin

83 21,077
 11-09-2014, 12:46 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Sounds like fun Freddy!

46 18,323
 11-09-2014, 01:05 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Thanks for the help and encouragement, guys. I have purchased a couple of inexpensive small copters (both heli and quad) but they seem to get away from me no matter how hard I try. I cannot seem to get them to hover or to move at less than the breaking of the sound barrier. I believe I burned one of the motors out on a small quad (new motor on its way) and my little heli doesn't want to lift up anymore. I was hoping to find something offering a bit more control and also find decent reading material to help me get properly prepared.

2 11,211
 11-11-2014, 02:52 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(11-09-2014, 12:37 PM)celestino Wrote: Best of luck, Freddy! I always new you were still a kid at heart! Biggrin

You mean there was a doubt?! A47

2 11,211
 11-25-2014, 03:53 PM
User Info
How about a hover craft? Or, is it called a hover drone?

0 1,007
 11-25-2014, 04:38 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(11-25-2014, 03:53 PM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: How about a hover craft? Or, is it called a hover drone?

Isn't that a drone, Aaron? These things are fun but boy can they get away from you, even in an indoor setting! I keep screwing up but I have to admit I'm having fun. I need to find someone who can take me through this step by step.

By the way, I am talking inexpensive toy helicopters and drones. The real hobby types can go into truly big money and for someone like me, who is just experimenting, it makes no sense to spend the big bucks, at least not now.

2 11,211
 12-21-2014, 08:57 AM
User Info
Start small. Don't let anyone talk you into buying a bigger one first. You will wreck it. Ask me how I know.

Sent from my iPhone

2 55
 12-21-2014, 09:08 AM
User Info
My six-year-old son wants an RC helicopter for Christmas (I'd love to know how the idea got into his little head).

My first choice was going to be the Syma S107. Reviews I read called it the perfect starter choice, and it's less than $20.

However, we don't have room indoors, and if you go outdoors, light interferes with infrared controls. So I got the radio-controlled v911 from WLToys. We'll see how it goes.

8 915
 12-21-2014, 12:54 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(12-21-2014, 08:57 AM)travispitt Wrote: Start small. Don't let anyone talk you into buying a bigger one first. You will wreck it. Ask me how I know.

Sent from my iPhone

Travis, I definitely started small! See the photos. Smile

(12-21-2014, 09:08 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: My six-year-old son wants an RC helicopter for Christmas (I'd love to know how the idea got into his little head).

My first choice was going to be the Syma S107. Reviews I read called it the perfect starter choice, and it's less than $20.

However, we don't have room indoors, and if you go outdoors, light interferes with infrared controls. So I got the radio-controlled v911 from WLToys. We'll see how it goes.

Rory, I started quite small. I live in an apartment above shops on a main street so, to start, I definitely needed small and indoor. The first copter I got this size I eventually crashed one too many times. It was hard to control. This one is the same model but a 3.5 channel instead of 2.5 as the first one was. That shouldn't make a difference but I do seem to have a bit more control over it and have actually managed to land it upright a couple of times. Rolleyes I get a kick out of attempting to fly them and they are tiny enough to be perfect for indoor flying. Although I had to wait several weeks to get it, as it shipped from China, it was only $9.99 and there was no charge for shipping.

I also have the Syma S107 but I am definitely going to wait to use it until I get control over this little guy. As you can see from the photo of it on my palm, it is tiny. It is only about 3¼ inches long and 2 inches high.

[Image: 3XPIXDu.jpg]
The helicopter as packaged

[Image: nhdSSVT.jpg]
The helicopter stores in the tiny transmitter

[Image: r4dYE7L.jpg]
The helicopter by itself

[Image: nOklK4q.jpg]
The helicopter on my palm (I have small hands so the picture is somewhat deceiving.)

2 11,211
 12-22-2014, 06:21 PM
User Info
Wow, so cool and tiny.

0 1,007
 12-22-2014, 08:01 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Definitely cool and tiny, Aaron, but there is definitely a learning curve to this little guy if you've never flown one. Tongue

2 11,211
 12-23-2014, 12:36 AM
User Info

The instructions stink, but it works well in an indoor environment with no breeze once you figure it out.

One of my cats will punch it out of the air frequently, the other doesn't like it so much. It's proven to be durable in the hands of an adult that doesn't heavily abuse it.

4 146
 12-23-2014, 09:03 AM
User Info
Freddy sent me one of the tiny yellow 3.5 helicopters. I've had a great time with it! I took mine outside on the deck. With 3 cats and a crazy dog I figured it would be a goner if I flew inside. It went up and over my little house easily. My landings aren't pretty but the copter survives without damage. I'm hooked and I looked at some drones with cameras on board. I have RC car experience from my brothers who used to have them but flying is all new and FUN! I doubt I will buy anything as spendy as a drone to crash, but I'm sure there will be something flying around.

1 346
 12-23-2014, 09:23 AM
User Info
My father is big in to gas powered RC cars but has started playing with small heli's. He currently has a couple of Air Hog choppers you see on TV and can get at Walmart but was given something more advanced on his Bday. Sorry I cant remember the brand. About every time I go see him hes got one of them flying around.

The Air Hogs are rather inexpensive and seem to be able to take a beating. Could make another good entry level model to look at.

147 3,536
 12-23-2014, 10:01 AM
User Info
I've flown RC quite a bit. I owned at one time a Cessna trainer, a low wing sport acrobat and a giant P51D Mustang. But helo's are a whole nother monster.

0 1,007