11-09-2014, 10:07 PM
User Info
Hey Guys,

I'm a new SR shaver and I just noticed some rust forming on the tang and top jimps of my daily driving SR. what is the best way to remove the existing rust and treat it to prevent the rust from spreading/returning.

Thanks!

Hugh

23 656
 11-10-2014, 02:54 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
you can use some maas or other mild metal polish.
the best way is actually prevention. i try to keep the scales, tang, and jimps dry. they only thing need get wet is the blade. if they do get wet, wipe down thoroughly after the shave. some people use oil but that is a pain for me, others use the silicone impregnated sleeves from superiorshave for storage and swear by it.

17 439
 11-10-2014, 03:54 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Wipe your razor down when finished including between the scales and let it air dry before closing it to put away. Like Lando said the best is prevention, only the blade need get wet while shaving. Metal polish should remove light rust and for in the jimps you could try using a toothbrush to apply the polish.

Bob

0 1,694
 11-10-2014, 05:25 AM
User Info
I like Flitz, but Maas pretty solid, too. If file jimps are rusty you'll be greatly aided by a soft worn toothbrush in the process. Rust never sleeps; the only sure bets are living in extremely arid environments or protecting all parts of the steel after every shave, the latter all too easy to also seal some moisture upon the steel if it isn't bone dry before your protectant (exceptions; some modern firearm lubricants pass thru the water, & ancient/messy Ballistol will allow that water to escape).

0 72
 11-10-2014, 06:16 AM
User Info
Use a small bradawl clean out the jimps then a small brass brush the same you use for cleaning suede shoes, in future make sure your fingers are dry as a bone when holding the razor and even then still wipe the razor over with kitchen paper towel when you've finished.

11 1,940
 11-10-2014, 07:54 AM
User Info
Thanks guys. I thought I was pretty meticulous about keeping my razor dry, but I'm still a newbie and haven't really gotten the hang of how to hold onto the dang things yet. I'm pretty sure I've gotten water/soap into the pins and I've used liberal amount of liquid superlube; to the point where the blade spins freely out of the scales, taking a good slice out of my thumb!

I use car polish quality micromesh cloth to dry the razors and then rest the razors to dry on a dry surface. Is there a better material to use to wipe and dry the razors?

23 656
 11-10-2014, 05:04 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
All the above are pretty good suggestions. everyone's shave cave is different and so one may work better than another for you.
I do not like to use a brass brush; if the water is a the least acid, they may sometimes leave a brass plating on the steel. Not often but I had it happen.
~Richard

8 1,194
 11-10-2014, 10:45 PM
User Info
Good luck with resolving this issue.

82 21,077
 11-11-2014, 02:47 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(11-10-2014, 07:54 AM)Starkicker Wrote: Thanks guys. I thought I was pretty meticulous about keeping my razor dry, but I'm still a newbie and haven't really gotten the hang of how to hold onto the dang things yet. I'm pretty sure I've gotten water/soap into the pins and I've used liberal amount of liquid superlube; to the point where the blade spins freely out of the scales, taking a good slice out of my thumb!

I use car polish quality micromesh cloth to dry the razors and then rest the razors to dry on a dry surface. Is there a better material to use to wipe and dry the razors?

Ouch, too much of a good thing is not too good. Sorry to hear you cut yourself. That is the reason I don't like loose pins.

I don't know what everyone else uses but some folded up toilet paper works fine for me drying razors.

Bob

0 1,694
 11-16-2014, 01:44 PM
User Info
This, I once oiled and put up a razor thinking I had dried it thoroughly, only to discover a huge rust swathe on it a couple weeks later. Now I make sure it is absolutely dry and keep the razor out a couple hours before oiling it up and putting it away.

0 75
 11-16-2014, 06:15 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I am quite anal when it comes to post shave maintenance. I do try to keep water only on the blade, but best laid plans...

I dry the razor well. Then blow out the pivot (careful how you present the razor or.. well, use your imagination). Then two squares of TP to dry between the scales and around the pivot.

Before it sits for the day, I strop it on linen and leave it exposed and slightly open. Close it, and any water you missed that might be on the scales can easily leave marks on a close blade where it touches the scales.

Every few weeks the entire razor gets a coat of Renaissance Wax. It protects the blade and brings a wonderful luster to the scales.

I've been lucky with this approach.. an ounce of prevention..

33 914
 11-17-2014, 08:25 PM
User Info
I use my bath towel to dry the blade. While shaving I use toilet tissue to wipe the lather from the blade.

You can use dental floss to clean around the pins.

21 1,668