11-10-2014, 03:52 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Tuesday, November 11 is Veterans Day. I will be thinking about my Dad, John Clifford Petree who served in the Army Air Corp during WWII and all the other veterans who have served our country with honor.

[Image: 2keo9gK.jpg]

The below youtube video is probably the best 7 minutes I've ever spent watching a video. It brought big tears to this old mans eyes. This wonderful 11 year old boy honoring those who died at Normandy. You won't be sorry you watched it.

179 23,931
 11-10-2014, 04:14 PM
User Info
(11-10-2014, 03:52 PM)Johnny Wrote: Tuesday, November 11 is Veterans Day. I will be thinking about my Dad, John Clifford Petree who served in the Army Air Corp during WWII and all the other veterans who have served our country with honor.

[Image: 2keo9gK.jpg]

The below youtube video is probably the best 7 minutes I've ever spent watching a video. It brought big tears to this old mans eyes. This wonderful 11 year old boy honoring those who died at Normandy. You won't be sorry you watched it.

http://youtu.be/8k9Si28k0Fk

Thanx Johnny! That was time well spent. Yes I can forget the lack of proper "Attention", after all, he did his best and that's all anyone has reason to expect. It was what the intent was after all. He did good.

I need to get my eyes checked. Whenever I hear Taps I get something in them. It always happens. Such a simple few notes too. Damn Butterfield!

32 6,470
 11-10-2014, 04:22 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Someday, there will be no war. Someday, no matter where we come from, we shall get along. Someday, a video like this will never have to be made again. Someday... Sad

2 11,211
 11-10-2014, 04:45 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
We can Hope...we can Pray....we can Dream....but we must never Forget...Sad

6 2,045
 11-10-2014, 04:53 PM
User Info
Thank you to all who have served

31 1,800
 11-10-2014, 06:32 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Thank you Johnny...both for your words and the video. My time in the military was the most meaningful 6 years of my life. The call to continue to serve my country still burns strong within me...and I'll always remember those who perished doing the same thing I was. I'm not the emotional type, but little things from the service, like the welcome we got in Hawaii after coming back from deployment after 9/11, had tears streaming down my face as I was manning the rails on USS Carl Vinson, and it drove home the reason why we did what we did. My thoughts are always with those that have now taken my place and continue to make this country the wonderful place it is.

34 1,627
 11-11-2014, 12:05 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
A lot of generations have been born since and they only know it from the movies and stuff, they can't even begin to imagine the horrors

And still we haven't learned anything from the past, we are self destructive as a species

Imagine what could be done with all the money that goes into warfare
If only they could put every young person in the reality of a combat situation for a few hours (keeping them safe) where they could see ....... their lives would never be the same again.

28 1,449
 11-11-2014, 01:48 AM
User Info
Thanks for sharing the video! Very beautiful!

0 375
 11-11-2014, 04:33 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
We call it Remembrance Day in Canada and the Commonwealth. I always think of my father's service in WW II this day. He died many years ago and would have been 104 this year. He volunteered in September 1939 and was mobilized to England in December 1939 and was de-mobbed in 1946. For this entire period to VE Day he served in NW Europe: Belgium, Holland, France (D-Day on Juno Beach), Luxembourg and Germany with the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps (tanks). He survived somehow, but said he would take being at the front over the Blitz in London. He said very little about the war, but whenever he was back in Canada after the War until his death he did look up his fellow officers from his regiment. One of the few things he did say was that he had several nasty run ins with the SS, but wouldn't elaborate. Following VE Day he went to the Far East to help mop up the Japanese.

7 934
 11-11-2014, 05:34 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Brian, your Dad and mine were about the same age. My Dad was born in 1911 making him 103 this past October. That was a great generation of men.

179 23,931
 11-11-2014, 05:46 AM
  • lowjax
  • I can customize myself
  • Milwaukee, WI
User Info
Thanks for the post, Johnny.

Thanks to all veterans, everywhere who have served or who are currently serving.

1 47
 11-11-2014, 07:41 AM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Thank you, Johnny for this thread!

God love the Vets and those that did not survive to become one!

My heart is with those left behind and who in some ways are paying the highest price.
The Vets had an idea what they were taking on; the families have had to learn.
My former son in law had 3 trips to Afghanistan. it destroyed the family and he has gone his own way..

I am a 5 year vet and did not see combat.
~Richard

8 1,194
 11-11-2014, 08:22 AM
User Info
yes, thanks for this! I rmember my dad he was a Navy man.

0 155
 11-11-2014, 08:41 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My grandfathers @ 6 generations back started our family service. One was a Choctaw scout and skirmisher for Andrew
Jackson at New Orleans and was rewarded with his farm seized and deportation to Oklahoma.
Corporal Patrick Kavanaugh left Ireland and was one of the 'Wild Geese' serving in the Austro-Hungarian artillary
before emmigrating and enlisting for the Mexican War. The Irish deserted after repeated looting of Catholic churches
and formed the San Patricio Brigade. He escaped capture and self deported back to California, where we've been more or less ever since.
There's a memorial to them in Mexico City at the Plaza de Revolucion. The irony, is today combat vets from Iraq/Afghanistan/Vietnam who were later deported as 'undocumented' will gather at that memorial to honour their own service. The US ambassador will not attend.
@25% of our incarcerated population are vets. @40% of our homeless are vets.
WE SHOULD DO BETTER.

2 3,171
 11-11-2014, 04:26 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
....bump...
~Richard

8 1,194