11-10-2014, 05:36 PM
  • jostalli
  • Stockbridge, GA
User Info
Well I finally took the plunge and made my first shave using a Safety Razor. I am now on the hunt for the right blade. I have a sample pack for sensitive skin from the Razor Emporium. I started with the Gillette Silver Blue. It seems to be a decent blade, I just don't have anything to compare it to as of yet.
I am also sticking to just a NS pass (did 3) for a few days to work on my technique. Need to work on the blade angle.
Over all it was not real close but a decent shave with only one small nick.

[Image: Safety-Razor-Shave-Day-1.jpg]

0 15
 11-10-2014, 05:44 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Sounds like things went pretty well for a first go, Nice job.
Keep it up and be patient the technique will come.

59 4,387
 11-10-2014, 06:00 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Great product choices. I had my first shave in 2007 with Proraso and a badger brush. I still use the Neutrogena after shave lotion, its quite good.

My first wet shave was so enjoyable I still remember it like it was a significant event. lol

I hope this becomes a hobby for you like it did for me. Smile

15 541
 11-10-2014, 06:10 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Very nice, and congratulations! It sounds like you're off to an excellent start with excellent products. It will take some time and experimenting to get your preferences down (blades, razors, brushes, soaps, creams, etc...). In the beginning there are so many variables to deal with, but with each shave you will continue to learn. Don't hesitate to ask any questions on here...you won't find a finer group of gents anywhere else IMO Biggrin

34 1,628
 11-10-2014, 06:33 PM
User Info
Great, Jon...gillette silve blue is a mighty fine blade imo. You started with the bar set high, but practicing technique will be a key to better shaves!

31 1,800
 11-10-2014, 07:08 PM
User Info
Congratulations! It gets easier and easier (but not on your wallet!)

84 1,505
 11-10-2014, 10:33 PM
User Info
(11-10-2014, 07:08 PM)jpakstis Wrote: Congratulations! It gets easier and easier (but not on your wallet!)

+1 Biggrin

82 21,056
 11-11-2014, 09:51 AM
User Info
Great to hear Jostalli! I agree on working on technique. I'm always working on mine

1 169
 11-11-2014, 09:53 AM
User Info
Sounds like you're on the right track. I've been doing this for almost a year now, and I just started getting brave and doing more than just north-south strokes. Hold off until you get your blade angle down! Learn some techniques like blade buffing, you can get a DFS with just two passes north-south using blade buffing on the second pass.

21 555
 11-11-2014, 12:30 PM
  • Gordy
  • Wherever I am!
User Info
Glad to see you've found real shaving, good luck with it. Don't try for close shaves at this stage or you'll just cause more issues. BBS will come when all things come together. Very good blade to start with.

0 246
 11-12-2014, 09:48 AM
User Info
Great "beginner" products you got there! It only gets better from here on out! Enjoy and welcome to the obsession.

0 62
 11-19-2014, 02:50 AM
User Info
you wont turn back to cartridges, great set up

0 60
 11-19-2014, 09:49 AM
User Info
Congratulations on your "conversion". Keep us posted on how you progress.

When I started, I bought a giant box of blades and stuck with them until recently. I'm not sure if it's better to try one blade until you get your technique down, or to experiment right away. Perhaps others can chime in on this.

0 1,053
 11-23-2014, 09:12 PM
User Info
The quest for that elusive perfect blade. I went at it the same way that Brian did — just started shavin' with anything and everything. Looking back, I'm sure I would have saved myself some frustration and trouble if I'd been more methodical, but I'm not sure I'd want to — had lots of fun too.
After trying dozens of different blades I reached the conclusion that almost all the blades I liked best had two things in common: they were platinum coated, and were made in Russia. Further winnowing led me to my “main squeeze” blades ~ Astra SPs.
I wish you luck and, even more important, joy with your new pursuit. I don't want to get all Kung Fu wisdom on you, but just as the master told his pupil, “It is never wrong to ask a question. It is always wrong to remain ignorant.”
Ignorance, in this sense, doesn't mean foolish; only yet to learn.
You are certainly in the right place for that. The members of this forum have taught me more than I could have discovered on my own in decades.
I find that the best thing among so many good things about DE shaving for me is that it's changed a daily chore into something I look forward to — a nuisance into a joy. May you find the same thing.
Euro

5 395