11-12-2014, 12:47 AM
User Info
For the past few weeks I've been using the Simpson Chubby 2 across different hair types including Super, Manchurian, 2 Band and Synthetic. They're all different and offer sublime shaving experiences, however I believe the Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic with the 54mm loft deserves a little more attention.

Damn handsome with 54mm hair-do:

[Image: NJk6tp.jpg]

I used this brush this morning with the Merkur Futur, a Gillette SB and some Castle Forbes Lime. Loading was for a mere 5 seconds, and after a quick loading inspection, I thought to myself 'there's not much on there, you should load for longer' but then reasoned 'well this is a synthetic so let's see what she can do'.

After 10 seconds of face lathering in circular then painting motions, I had a thick creamy lather and I was surprised at how quickly the lather formed, the quality and consistency of the lather was phenomenal. The knot is very dense and you do have to press the brush slightly into your face to make the knot splay, however this doesn't detract from the shaving experience. In terms of face feel, there is good backbone and extremely soft tips. The tips are so soft, you stop to think about just how soft those tips are, the tips feel as soft as lathering with a chubby duckling. I mean there are no softer tips in wet shaving.

The real kicker is that this brush is just as enjoyable as my other Simpson Chubby 2s, ok well maybe I do prefer the 2 Band, but at 65 pounds this thing is the best bargain in shaving.

I'm hoping that Simpsons decide to launch the M7 Synthetic. Do we have any takers?

Michael

23 474
 11-12-2014, 01:17 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Good to see another person enjoying the Chubby 2 synthetic. Your experience echoes mine with the shorter lofted first release ones. I really enjoy that brush.

Bob

0 1,694
 11-12-2014, 08:24 AM
User Info
Hi Michael,
I have the newer version with the higher loft like you do. While I enjoy the soap application with this brush, IMO, it doesn't hold a candle to my Manchurians and my 2 bands. There's 'something' missing with the synthetic brushes. They're artificially soft. I am sure my opinion is the minority view. It is however a good thing that you enjoy using yours. Enjoy!

39 3,869
 11-12-2014, 08:53 AM
User Info
Nice to see them in a higher loft. I still think they could use 2mm more for such a large knot even though I haven' used one.
Enjoy the brush! Smile

82 21,056
 11-12-2014, 10:25 AM
User Info
I had one with a 48mm loft and really didn't like it. The chap who has it now loves it!

I would order one with a higher loft but if I get one with a short loft again, I'd be quite annoyed.

7 1,182
 11-12-2014, 10:53 AM
User Info
The first brush with synthetic hair that I like aesthetically Thumbup

8 1,676
 11-12-2014, 11:40 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(11-12-2014, 01:17 AM)BobH Wrote: Your experience echoes mine with the shorter lofted first release ones. I really enjoy that brush.

Same here, recently obtained one in a trade and I really like it (Dipesh). May buy one of the higher lofts in the near future.

28 1,433
 11-12-2014, 04:02 PM
User Info
(11-12-2014, 08:24 AM)primotenore Wrote: Hi Michael,
I have the newer version with the higher loft like you do. While I enjoy the soap application with this brush, IMO, it doesn't hold a candle to my Manchurians and my 2 bands. There's 'something' missing with the synthetic brushes. They're artificially soft. I am sure my opinion is the minority view. It is however a good thing that you enjoy using yours. Enjoy!

I particular enjoy using the brush with hard soaps, the synthetic fibres really help to bring the lather out quickly compared to the natural fibres. I understand where you're coming from with the natural and synthetic debate, I don't really have this issue with brushes but I do with fragrances.

(11-12-2014, 08:53 AM)celestino Wrote: Nice to see them in a higher loft. I still think they could use 2mm more for such a large knot even though I haven' used one.
Enjoy the brush! Smile

It could do with another 2mm in loft as this would avoid having to intentionally splay the knot. While it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the brush, if Simpsons did launch the Chubby 2 Synthetic with a 56mm loft I'd buy it in a heartbeat! Wink

23 474
 11-12-2014, 06:10 PM
User Info
This brush remains my favorite synthetic. It definitely benefits from having a loft slightly higher than the first generation of CH2 synthetics, although I agree that the loft could go up to 54-55mm and be even better yet.

An M7 synthetic, with the right diameter and loft, would be great. I would certainly get one. The other Simpson handle I'd like to see with a synthetic knot would be the 58 or 59.

48 5,708
 11-12-2014, 07:37 PM
User Info
(11-12-2014, 06:10 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: This brush remains my favorite synthetic. It definitely benefits from having a loft slightly higher than the first generation of CH2 synthetics, although I agree that the loft could go up to 54-55mm and be even better yet.

An M7 synthetic, with the right diameter and loft, would be great. I would certainly get one. The other Simpson handle I'd like to see with a synthetic knot would be the 58 or 59.

Ricardo, you have very good tastes, sir! A 59 handle with a loft of 55mm would be lovely! Biggrin

82 21,056
 11-12-2014, 11:01 PM
User Info
I heartily agree Mix'!

I specified a longer loft (similar to the prototype I tested) when I bought my CH2 Syn' and it is just as fantastic as the proto' that I tested. FWIW, Mark sent me one with 54mm loft; the same as the prototype. I absolutely love the brush as much as you do.

Primo', I've heard the synthetic brushes described as "soulless". I assume because every fiber is identical. That doesn't bother me one iota to have them described that way. But no one fails to notice just how incredibly soft the CH2 is; at least those folks who I allow to see the innards of my shave cabinet.

The Classic Syn' is the same way, and I hope the production Classic is similar. But those brushes are much shorter lofted.

32 6,445
 11-13-2014, 03:55 AM
User Info
(11-12-2014, 11:01 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I heartily agree Mix'!

I specified a longer loft (similar to the prototype I tested) when I bought my CH2 Syn' and it is just as fantastic as the proto' that I tested. FWIW, Mark sent me one with 54mm loft; the same as the prototype. I absolutely love the brush as much as you do.

Primo', I've heard the synthetic brushes described as "soulless". I assume because every fiber is identical. That doesn't bother me one iota to have them described that way. But no one fails to notice just how incredibly soft the CH2 is; at least those folks who I allow to see the innards of my shave cabinet.

The Classic Syn' is the same way, and I hope the production Classic is similar. But those brushes are much shorter lofted.

Hi Brian, yes I remember reading how you got the 54mm loft like the prototype. The great thing is we finally have them as intended!! Good backbone, whisper soft tips and they absolutely kill hard soaps. They're also 1/4 the cost of a CH2 Manchurian or 2 Band and make me smile just as much Biggrin

23 474
 11-18-2014, 01:25 PM
  • schnebbs
  • relapsed brush addict
  • chicago
User Info
i bought a chubby 1 in best, as i kept hearing everyone rave about the brush. honestly, i just didn't get it. i wanted to like it, i tried to like it...
it just wasn't working for me. so i figured, maybe i need a bigger brush? maybe i need a different type of hair? but then the price points got a
little daunting, especially considering that i'm already down $100 on a chubby 1 that i don't particularly care for. =/

i'm interested in this synthetic, though. i read another post that likened it to using a 2-band (silvertip) hair brush, and i'm completely infatuated
with my leonhardy 7000 series knot, which is a silvertip. do the synthetic CH 2's have US distribution already? or are the just through the LE
section of the simpson website?

1 43
 11-18-2014, 02:22 PM
User Info
Chris, I need to make one comment before proceeding. Any anticipation to getting badger "feel" with a synthetic means you will both lose. Synthetics are NOT "badger like" in any way except maybe softness. Beyond that they definitely are their own fiber.

A meaningful response would be much easier if you told us more about what you want from the brush and maybe what you didn't like about the CH1 best.

OK, that having been written, I have never experienced any badger that has the "pushback" of a Simpsons synthetic. A "gel like tips" comparison would be valid.

Examine your brush technique. If you have a heavy hand (brush mash) with a brush the Simpsons CH2 is a natural since it will "fight" that tendency. Too, If you can force yourself to use more pressure than you ordinarily would if you don't brush mash it also might work. Once the lather begins to develop, and that doesn't take long, the fibers will remain splayed enough from the lather for the brush to work.

There are some other differences too, but get back to us, or just do a search and you'll find them. The biggest that I can think of is to not pre-wet the brush, or IMO any synthetic. You must be in control of the water.

32 6,445
 11-18-2014, 02:53 PM
  • schnebbs
  • relapsed brush addict
  • chicago
User Info
(11-18-2014, 02:22 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: A meaningful response would be much easier if you told us more about what you want from the brush and maybe what you didn't like about the CH1 best.

a fair request, to be sure!

while i've tried face lathering a few times, i tend to bowl lather by default. that said, my main dislike with the CH1 best was the ability to get a
good lather from the bowl to my face, or what i perceive as the "flow" of the brush. i could whip up a great head of lather, but getting it on my
face was always quite thin, almost stretched. by comparison, the leonhardy does a great job of laying down a (relatively) thick and consistent
layer of lather.

i'm completely open to the fact that my technique could be to blame, though i would be a little surprised that the same technique could be so
different from brush to brush. (yet i also know how different paint brushes can be... i guess my brain sees shaving brushes as functionally the
same, unlike paint brushes.)

i've also never tried a synthetic, so i have no frame of reference as to their feel vs the feel of a badger brush.

1 43
 11-18-2014, 05:14 PM
User Info
(11-18-2014, 02:53 PM)schnebbs Wrote:
(11-18-2014, 02:22 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: A meaningful response would be much easier if you told us more about what you want from the brush and maybe what you didn't like about the CH1 best.

a fair request, to be sure!

while i've tried face lathering a few times, i tend to bowl lather by default. that said, my main dislike with the CH1 best was the ability to get a
good lather from the bowl to my face, or what i perceive as the "flow" of the brush. i could whip up a great head of lather, but getting it on my
face was always quite thin, almost stretched. by comparison, the leonhardy does a great job of laying down a (relatively) thick and consistent
layer of lather.

i'm completely open to the fact that my technique could be to blame, though i would be a little surprised that the same technique could be so
different from brush to brush. (yet i also know how different paint brushes can be... i guess my brain sees shaving brushes as functionally the
same, unlike paint brushes.)

i've also never tried a synthetic, so i have no frame of reference as to their feel vs the feel of a badger brush.

I like the Chubby 2 a lot, but I face lather and have never seen the Chubby series as ideal for bowl lathering. It goes beyond the stubby handle. The Chubby series is so dense that, for me, it does not have the optimal flow of air and water for bowl lathering. However, that same density makes it superb for face lathering.

48 5,708
 11-18-2014, 09:47 PM
User Info
Very nice looking brush. what is the knot size ?

0 60
 11-18-2014, 11:44 PM
User Info
TLR nailed it IMO.

32 6,445