• Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Sharpness
Smoothness
Comfort (same as smoothness?)
Longevity
All around best
rate on a scale of 1-10. It might be a different blade that scores at the top in each category and a blade that doesn't score at the top in any may be the best all around.
Let's hear your picks. No wrong answers, that's why the make so many different ones.

7 2,279
 11-14-2014, 11:26 AM
  • Gordy
  • Wherever I am!
User Info
Sharpness - Feathers
Smoothness - Astra SP
Longevity - for me, Astra SP. I'm 11 shaves into and counting....
I'd rate either the Astra SP or Gillette Silver Blues as amongst the best "all around" when all the factors are taken into account. I'm using Astras because they are cheaper than GSB's. They also seem to get more mentions on here than any other, save for Personna.

0 246
 11-15-2014, 09:32 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Sharpness - Feather

Smoothness - KAI Stainless and Personna Med Prep.

Longevity - For me, the Personna Med Prep. An easy 7-10 shaves.

175 23,752
 11-15-2014, 09:45 AM
User Info
Feather, feather, feather...
Sharpness: feather
Smoothness: feather (I haven't found anything else that doesn't pull my beard)
Longevity: feather 7or 8 shaves for me
I'd give the feathers a 10 until I find something better.

6 589
 11-15-2014, 10:18 AM
User Info
I'm using almost only Astra SP blades. I say almost because I have quite a few blades that weren't good for me but I got them in samplers. I want to use them up, and if the package is un-opened, I will pass them along for someone else to try. YMMV is so true, especially regarding blades. I would have to put Derby and Merkur blades at the bottom of my list, but some people just love them.
I think that Feather is the sharpest, but Astra SPs I find smoother, and they are undoubtedly cheaper. If I can't get Astras, I will usually be OK with any blade that's platinum coated and made in Russia. In a pinch the chrome Sharks are good.
Euro

5 395
 11-15-2014, 01:49 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
We who have put feather to skin know they are easily the sharpest blade on the market. At least half of us felt flayed alive and had to abandon their further use. So, a very unusable 10 for me.

Polsilvers are easily the smoothest and lose out to feathers 'by a neck' in the race for #1 It's odd, but I think QC improved a little from my beloved Super Iridium supply. Being the same blade I give them a strongly felt 10.

All of the other Russian blades are oddly the most comfortable. They aren't as sharp as the two above. But, like a product from THE PEOPLES TRACTOR FACTORY #8 they get the job done. It takes me a very careful four pass shave with these. It's like using a axe VS a scythe. I think they demand just enough care to slow down a few RPMs and enjoy myself. Linking to their above brother Polsilvers I give a qualified 8

I don't worry about longevity. My post shave cleanup is perfunctory and I shave until the blade begins to drag. the unit price gives me shaves for pennies a day and I do not begrudge any blade that gives a week's worth.

Overall? I'm presently prejudiced by my exclusive cache of Super Iridiums:But not so much to turn my nose up at any blade offered-
Well, not MERKURS. I wouldn't patch a Quonset hut with those thingsAaaaa

2 3,171
 11-15-2014, 02:59 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
Preliminary DISCLAIMER: Although I am a veteran (55+ years) shaver and veteran (45+ years) wet shaver, my experience with DE blades goes back only seven months, and I have used only four brands of blades during that period, all in the same (Standard Razors) razor, so my base of comparison is narrow.

Sharpness: KAI, by a very, very wide margin. In my experience, a 10. By comparison with the KAI, Gillette Silver Blue, 7; Polsilver Iridium Super (Russian made, but in Wizamet packaging), also 7.

Smoothness: Again, KAI, but by a narrow margin this time, over Polsilver Iridium Super. As KAI is the smoothest, I must give it a 10 again, but the Iridium Super must get a 9, and the Gillette Silver Blue is close enough to the Iridium Super that I cannot demote it to 8, so the GSB gets a 9, too.

Comfort: Again KAI. I judge this category by a single criterion: if I apply a thin underlayer of Noxzema Classic Original after the first, and before the second, pass (which I do not do every shave, but I do fairly frequently), does it sting? With the IS and GSB, it does -- just a bit -- but with the KAI, it does not. That test makes it a 10 for KAI in a third category, with GSB and IS tied at 9.

Longevity: A three-way tie. I routinely get six shaves per blade from each of the brands of blade above; I have got seven shaves on a single KAI, seven shaves on a single GSB, and seven shaves on a single IS; as a science experiment I pushed that same IS to nine shaves, but the eighth and ninth shaves were clearly past its peak. With no basis to distinguish among the three blades I know best, I will give them all a 5.5: that is, right down the middle of the 1 to 10 scale.

Overall, the KAI gets a 9 from me, with the only caveat being that there is a little bit of a learning curve for the shaver coming from a different blade, a learning curve that may leave you seeing red patches in your lather without your ever having sensed by feel that you had sliced something off. The GSB and IS are virtually indistinguishable behind the KAI, at about 8 each, with the IS perhaps edging out the GSB by the narrowest of margins.

Footnote: A single Astra SP blade came with the Standard Razors razor, and I used that blade in addition to the three brands above, but I am not going to rate it on the basis of using just one blade.

0 1,049
 11-15-2014, 04:16 PM
User Info
sharpest feather
smoothest polsilver and persona med labs a tie

73 1,260
 11-16-2014, 05:33 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
For me, it's the vintage Personna 74s in every category. With the possible exception of vintage Wilkinson Light Brigades in the smoothness category. Among the current offerings Polsilver Super Iridiums/ Iridium Supers take first place in all categories. Feathers, for me, are way over rated. Smoothness and durability are so completely ignored in favor of sharpness that they are worthless to me. I can't get two complete three pass shaves out of one and the one I do get is like shaving with broken glass.

7 2,279
 12-15-2014, 12:23 PM
  • Deano
  • Iowa
User Info
Gillette Silver Blue's are a good fit for all categories. For me anyway.

7 898
 12-16-2014, 01:38 AM
User Info
For me it really depends upon the razor but here ones:
Sharpness Feather
Smoothness and Comfort Super Iridium with GSB a close second
Longevity Super Iridium is the only blade that I can use for 3 shaves everything else is 2 and toss.
All around best Super Iridium

In my 2011 R41 I can only a SI or GSB while in my Ikon SB I can use any blade but when paird with a feather it is awesome.

24 227
 12-16-2014, 07:07 AM
User Info
Easy for me...Voskhods for each category.

Ed

21 751
 12-16-2014, 07:32 AM
User Info
For me, I can put an Astra SP in any razor I own and they just work. In a mild razor like my Weber, I can use them for a week with no problem.

1 108
 12-17-2014, 03:47 PM
User Info
For me smoothness implies the ability to buff repeatedly with imperfect technique and still provoke little irritation. This is not necessarily indicative of a good blade, nor a sharp one. A smooth blade can be tuggy (bad) or sharp (good) and yet remain smooth. So with that disclaimer, my answers are:

Sharpness: Feather
Smoothness and Comfort: Gillette Silver Blues, Derby, Dorco 301, Tomac Hospital blades
Longevity: Gillette Super Platinum (Russian Blue)
Best Overall: Gillette Silver Blues

7 84
 12-19-2014, 06:51 PM
User Info
I still find the original Super Iridiums DE blades to work best for me. Smile

82 21,056
 12-20-2014, 03:54 AM
User Info
the iridium super makes for the best over all razor blade in all categories for me, about 8 points, but i have a blade i would rate higher, 9, the 'swede' in a plastic holder. don't know its real name.

7 1,624
 12-20-2014, 04:10 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blue. Hands down best ever. Polsilver Wizamet (browns) close second.

0 1,732
 12-20-2014, 04:51 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Vintage Gillette Spoilers are wonderful in my ATT razor

19 724
 12-20-2014, 08:01 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-19-2014, 06:51 PM)celestino Wrote: I still find the original Super Iridiums DE blades to work best for me. Smile

Isn't there some ambiguity in the phrase, "original Super Iridiums"?
  1. "Iridium" blades made in Poland
  2. Blue box Wizamet Iridium Super* made in Russia
  3. Blue Box Polsilver Super Iridium made in Russia
  4. Others?
* The blue box Iridium Super has the Wizamet "W" logo on the front and a tiny "Wozamet" inside the W logo on the rear of the box, and is labeled "Iridium Super" on the outside; but "Super Iridium" is printed on the blade itself. The word "Polsilver" does not appear on either the box or the blade.

So what are the "original Super Iridium DE blades"? Huh

0 1,049
 12-20-2014, 09:33 AM
User Info
iridium blades can be a little bit confusing. i think celestino means #2, as do i, the 'original' and first type made in st petersburg, russia. the polish made blades from wizamet are quite something else.

7 1,624