11-14-2014, 01:43 PM
  • schnebbs
  • relapsed brush addict
  • chicago
User Info
[Image: 3O3SQY2.jpg]

there's a lot of discussion around the "fancy" side of pen collecting, so i'm wondering if that kind of appreciation follows across to the other end of the usage spectrum...
the *cough*humble*cough* drafting pen.

i work in advertising/design, and even though i love a nice montblanc, i'll reach over it for a multiliner practically every time. i grew up on rotring rapidographs that i'd
"liberate" from my dad, and i still curse the day i lost my rotring trio. now i'm hooked on copic... and i guard them jealously. they're great for my rough sketches, and then
i can tighten them up after with a thinner nib.

anyone play in the deep end of higher-end technicals?

1 43
 11-14-2014, 02:05 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Chris, I don't use these but please keep posting about them. It's how we learn and appreciate. Thanks.

May we see these uncapped?

2 11,211
 11-14-2014, 02:21 PM
  • schnebbs
  • relapsed brush addict
  • chicago
User Info
[Image: 2HPbCFH.jpg]
here is my set, in 0.1, 0.25, .03, 0.5 & bs (brush). there are also 0.03, 0.05, 0.2, 0.35, and 0.7 sizes.

[Image: K872QsN.jpg]
what i find particularly great is the ability to break down the pen and replace the nib when it goes flat or if it starts to fray. the cartridge is huge, and can
either be replaced or refilled, much in the same way as the copic art markers. that opens it up to a palette of 358 colors... with some patience and a fair
bit of creativity. =p

1 43
 11-14-2014, 02:49 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Neat! How would they be for everyday writing compared to a fountain pen?

2 11,211
 11-14-2014, 03:18 PM
  • schnebbs
  • relapsed brush addict
  • chicago
User Info
[Image: WNP4KAK.jpg]

i don't have anything in a fountain pen handy, but here's a side-by-side comparison with my montblanc 163. the copic is a touch longer, but also noticeably lighter.

[Image: B4rG0VQ.jpg]

1 43
 11-14-2014, 03:33 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Chris, I like your style of printing. Penmanship has always fascinated me.

I have a hunch the Copic might drag just a bit too much for my style of penmanship, which tends to be a bit 'flowing' for lack of a better word. See this sample for what I mean:

[Image: 8eHESIp.jpg]

2 11,211
 11-14-2014, 04:01 PM
User Info
Chris, nice collection! Smile

83 21,110
 11-14-2014, 04:46 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Thanks for posting Chris.

Since I got into more production art and away from design Sad, I've gotten away from my rapidograph pens, although I still have them all. Reading your post makes me want to pull them out though.

I will be looking at these copics and I'd love to know about your case.

Currently, my obsession has been with pencils, both technical and wooden. I love my rapid pro that I've been using a lot lately. I do have quite a few fountain pens, and other pens of all types. I see one I like and I just buy it, LOL. I'm the same way with pocket notebooks too though.

18 1,186
 11-17-2014, 06:58 AM
  • schnebbs
  • relapsed brush addict
  • chicago
User Info
freddy, the brush pens may have a bit of the play you're probably more accustomed to, but i'd be hard pressed to say that any
of them have much in the way of drag. then again, ymmv. =)

thanks celestino! it's not THAT much of a collection, but it gets the job(s) done for now. i really need to start working with those
brushes a bit more, as i've seen some incredible illustrators heading back to traditional brushwork for inking.

clinton, i'd say definitely get back in the habit of using them. the copics have treated me well... and you'll find that people get
intensely interested by them if you bring one out in a meeting. as to the case, it's a simple global canvas case i picked up at my
local art supply... here's a link.

1 43