11-14-2014, 07:00 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The upstairs tenant just moved out and did his best to shake the unit into debri. It reminded me of a product I first used working as a volunteer curator at the L.A. Southwest Museum now popularly called Earthquake Wax after the Northridge earthquake.
It's neat stuff, holds delicate ceramics and glass FIRMLY to shelving without marring either, yet allows for easy lifting with a slight twist and pull.
I'm sitting here, admiring again all your collections and thought to pass this on. It's available at many stores.

2 3,171
 11-14-2014, 08:02 PM
User Info
that’s interesting, and i never heard about such a thing. i only knew of what they do in japanese museums to make irreplaceable items «earthquake proof»: fishline [Image: WxiOHus.gif]

[Image: yhJswdo.jpg]
e-garatsu chawan with fern design, kyushu, 17th century

7 1,624
 11-14-2014, 08:28 PM
User Info
That's good to know about, kav. I have worried sometimes about my vintage brushes sitting on the old printer's drawer rack on my wall.

206 12,189
 11-15-2014, 09:02 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Seattle was locus for one of the most powerful earthquakes recorded in modern timesEeeeek
That's a pretty shaving bowlRolleyes

2 3,171
 11-18-2014, 03:07 PM
  • schnebbs
  • relapsed brush addict
  • chicago
User Info
[Image: collectors_hold_museum_putty_prepare_for...quakes.jpg]

this is probably very similar... it comes in both clear and white, and is available at home depot and the container store, among others.
i've used it to pose lightweight paperclay sculptures for photos and display, and it works quite well!

and yes, that's a beautiful chawan! (i'm getting a second chawan from a potter in miami to use as a shave bowl... Biggrin)

1 43
 11-29-2014, 09:45 AM
User Info
interesting. thanks for sharing!

0 70
 12-01-2014, 03:24 PM
  • Carson
  • Adelaide, Australia
User Info
Most interesting - especially if one lives in an earthquake prone area.

In saying that, I think it would be arduous to use the earthquake putty every time you wanted to use/put away a shaving item. I say just use your shaving items and pack them away well and don't worry about 'what if' events outside your control occur such as earthquakes, house fire, theft etc. Chuck

0 108
 12-01-2014, 04:56 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
It's a simple matter of 'twist and lift' to remove from display.
Some members have extensive collections of brushes& bottles that may be used infrequently. My great grandmother was in the San Francisco Earthquake; grandmother's home damaged in the Northridge Earthquake with a near total loss of Waterford, English China, Lalique etc. I've lost count of how many shakers I myself experienced, or the site of priceless artifacts sitting en situ because of the wax used.
Imagine a few dozen brushes and glass cologne bottles on the floor.

2 3,171