11-14-2014, 10:31 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Couldn't believe my luck. And the luck I am having lately. I went to a flea market this morning in Rozelle, and found this: it came with the original blue case which I am in the process of restoring (see last picture). I am always on the lookout for an Aristocrat (haven't got one) and this landed in my lap.

Technically it isn't/wasn't called an Aristocrat, but it certainly was produced amid the production of the 30s Aristocrats. The Popular seems to come in either a metal case, or a blue (like this: 1939 model) or white bakelite case (gold). The plating is exceptionally good. The colours are reflections, not brassing, although there are minor spots here and there.

It has the flat inner plate, just like the Aristocrat does. I'm calling it an Aristocrat in spirit. Open comb, too, nice Smile

What did I pay? The equivalent of $15 US. Yes, I know Smile What's it worth on the market? I would't have a clue.

[Image: xsaCUk1.jpg]
[Image: bmRtPan.jpg]
[Image: DkUk01A.jpg]
[Image: 1VWzDGa.jpg][Image: pyApi6F.jpg]

0 1,732
 11-14-2014, 10:54 PM
User Info
woohoo - how cool! and the lapis color and shape of that box is 'prikken over i-en' - as we say in norway - the dot over the 'i' - meaning the last thing - what made it complete {•_•}

7 1,624
 11-14-2014, 11:36 PM
User Info
Very nice score Smile
I have one similar minus the case. I believe they were silver plated.

0 875
 11-15-2014, 04:35 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Update: I went to Mr Razor and checked out the old advertisements just to work out exactly what this model razor is. There is some confusion on the internet.

The "Popular Model" came in a few varieties, but in the context of this thread, we are speaking of the 45, 46 and 47 sets. The 45 and 47 are the same razor; the first came in the blue box (my one, making it a #45 'Popular Model') while the 47 came in the nickel-plated metal case. The 46 came in the white bakelite case: same razor except gold-plated.

Here is the ad: Achim (Mr Razor) puts these at circa 1939 (as per the ad), but 1938 is also correct. 1938 ads exist too, but they show a plain knurling on these models.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Werbung/C%201939...ngland.jpg

I have seen the same model but without the stamp on the lower ring. I believe this unstamped model is plated in nickel and is a later version/model (but which? when?). The 45 and 47 appear to have the head and curved 'flute' under the head plated in rhodium (also the lower ring areas), and the handle in nickel, but this is not specified in the ads. The Aristocrats of the same year (#15) are specified as being plated in rhodium.

Here is another ad, but CHECK THE DATE!!! November 15! Same day as I bought it, only 75 years later Smile

0 1,732
 11-15-2014, 08:47 AM
User Info
SCORE! I need to move to Australia, you guys have all the "good stuff".

6 589
 11-15-2014, 12:57 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(11-15-2014, 08:47 AM)captain caveman Wrote: SCORE! I need to move to Australia, you guys have all the "good stuff".

Hmm, I always assumed it was the Yanks and the Poms Wink

0 1,732
 11-15-2014, 01:57 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
I agree, great score!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 860
 11-15-2014, 07:53 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
More pics: now showing razor with restored original blue (lapis) case, complete with two blade cases. This box was BROWN when I got it; see photo at beginning of thread where I'd left the lines as they were to give some indication. The case is damaged and cracked, yes, but it came up well.

To restore it I sandpapered it down in diminishing grit size, finally with 1200 wet and dry, then Brasso for sheen. Then beeswax. Looks ok Smile Took HOURS ha ha.

[Image: uMTm8Ny.jpg]
[Image: k9rfBFH.jpg]

0 1,732
 11-15-2014, 08:43 PM
User Info
Shaun - tremendous case restoration. That is a very nice set, thanks for taking the time to post pictures - enjoy your shaves!!!

18 194
 11-16-2014, 08:21 AM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
Very nice!! Can I borrow it for a week? I will pay for postage, only 1 way though.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

0 76
 11-16-2014, 11:08 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(11-16-2014, 08:21 AM)tave Wrote: Very nice!! Can I borrow it for a week? I will pay for postage, only 1 way though.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Dodgy

0 1,732
 11-17-2014, 01:33 AM
User Info
Lovely razor and restoration work! Congratulations!

2 5,545
 11-18-2014, 04:25 AM
User Info
Is the head same as aristocrat? its so nice and shiny ! i envy you !

0 60
 11-18-2014, 04:39 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(11-18-2014, 04:25 AM)jinxster Wrote: Is the head same as aristocrat? its so nice and shiny ! i envy you !

Yes, as far as I can tell, it's either the same head, or very, very close indeed to the #15 British Aristocrat 1938 OC. I'm now thinking the whole razor is in fact rhodium plated, not just the head and flute. The #14 was also the same Aristocrat, but in a different case. The only differences between the head of the Popular and the #15 seem to be the stamping under the head which is in a very slightly different spot... the "D" in 'England" touches the wing slot... experts can point out other differences if there are any. I'm no expert Smile I do know that some #15 Aristocrats had 'wings' on the centre bar (like this Popular) while others did not, so the look underneath the base plate is slightly different between the two #15 OC Aristocrats, because the slots had to accommodate the wings (where they exist) as they rose and fell when opening and closing the silo doors. Check this thread (hope it's ok to post here) and scroll down to see the differences):

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....-15-and-20

I am not sure why the design was changed, but I like the look of the wings, personally.

Now I don't know if I am right here, but some #15s were advertised as being more like the modern TTO: when you'd turn the handle, they open completely. With the Popular, when you turn the knob, the silos do rise, but then you have to open the doors with your fingers, or with a flick, or do it upside down. That's right, and that's normal. Maybe the earlier Aristocrat was like that too?

0 1,732
 11-18-2014, 10:24 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
what an incredible surprise find! Never have I found anything like that out in the wild Tongue But the big surprise is how well its been restored back with a bit of effort. Congratulations on the stunningly handsome razor and the beautiful case.

Have really open my eyes regarding the Popular as I was only having tunnel vision in trying to obtain a 15 for the longest time.

35 1,329
 11-18-2014, 09:12 PM
User Info
(11-18-2014, 04:39 AM)Shaun Wrote:
(11-18-2014, 04:25 AM)jinxster Wrote: Is the head same as aristocrat? its so nice and shiny ! i envy you !

Yes, as far as I can tell, it's either the same head, or very, very close indeed to the #15 British Aristocrat 1938 OC. I'm now thinking the whole razor is in fact rhodium plated, not just the head and flute. The #14 was also the same Aristocrat, but in a different case. The only differences between the head of the Popular and the #15 seem to be the stamping under the head which is in a very slightly different spot... the "D" in 'England" touches the wing slot... experts can point out other differences if there are any. I'm no expert Smile I do know that some #15 Aristocrats had 'wings' on the centre bar (like this Popular) while others did not, so the look underneath the base plate is slightly different between the two #15 OC Aristocrats, because the slots had to accommodate the wings (where they exist) as they rose and fell when opening and closing the silo doors. Check this thread (hope it's ok to post here) and scroll down to see the differences):

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....-15-and-20

I am not sure why the design was changed, but I like the look of the wings, personally.

Now I don't know if I am right here, but some #15s were advertised as being more like the modern TTO: when you'd turn the handle, they open completely. With the Popular, when you turn the knob, the silos do rise, but then you have to open the doors with your fingers, or with a flick, or do it upside down. That's right, and that's normal. Maybe the earlier Aristocrat was like that too?
Good to know that. Did you plan to shave with it yet?

0 60
 11-18-2014, 10:06 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Shave with it????

Yes Smile I'll post about it too Smile

0 1,732
 11-19-2014, 02:06 PM
User Info
Wow, very cool find!!!

0 78
 11-22-2014, 12:15 PM
User Info
Stunning razor. ..enjoy ď

11 61
 11-22-2014, 01:46 PM
User Info
(11-15-2014, 04:35 AM)Shaun Wrote: Here is another ad, but CHECK THE DATE!!! November 15! Same days as I bought it, only 75 years later Smile

pity that handsome sailor didn't come with the set though [Image: Fp4AZoS.gif]

7 1,624