11-15-2014, 04:48 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I hold strong prejudices for natural products. We still used massive manila lines in the USCG and I slept through a near blizzard on a University field trip in a cowboy bedroll that everyone laughed at- until they had to sleep 4 in a VW beetle in these polyester things. I watched people rekit in GORETEX and discover that after 3 generations, special soap and seam sealing post purchase it still doesn't work. I did eventually buy a premium down bag until it loaded up on sweat and condensation and weighed as much as my bedroll. Today, I use a synthetic lammilite bag or that old bedroll.

I just received one of Phil's Grooming Co. synthetics; the black and white swirl. I did a crash course on the old reviews and posts making notes. O.K.I have to learn to use my water to soap ratio differently, it's a great face latherer- good, I am too, has a short handle- I just gave my WEE SCOT a sabbatical after a stunning Vie Long Beehive appeared in the mail and it dries quickly.

My technique would horrify most people. I microwaved some distilled water to just hot and unwrapped the brush. HEY! Where's the funky badger smell? If GC is going to make faux two band brushes I want faux badger funkBadger
Brush in water, brush out and into my coffeecup of DITTMARS.
The brush loaded like a sponge and in seconds I looked like those time lapse Chia Pet commercials.
I did four passes with just a little rewetting of the soap as it dried. As an aside, I received a bottle of GC aftershave balm and it's nice stuff.
This is a VERY impressive brush at an outstanding price. You can hardly buy a badger starter brush of indifferent quality for this.
I still love my badgers for near intangible reasons of asthetics and tradition that could cause issue with some of my activist friends. But, like my canvas and wool bedroll and WIGGYS bag I just made that firststep off the Lunar Lander- and didn't trip.

2 3,171
 11-15-2014, 07:25 PM
User Info
Congratulations on your first synthetic! Biggrin

82 21,056
 11-15-2014, 09:18 PM
User Info
Congrats. Yes, todays synthetics are very good.

32 6,445
 11-16-2014, 12:44 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My second shave was still a learning experience. Preliminary field testing was by Pyewacket. He has taken to supervising my shaves and decided the GC was a prey object. I chased him into the living room where he advanced and dropped it at my feet. So, the knot really is DURABLE! with no damage except the smell of catfood breath.
A simple rinse and I was good to go. I still love my badgers,
but will greet new synthetics with equal interest.

2 3,171
 11-16-2014, 01:20 PM
User Info
Nice report. I like TGCo's brush quite a bit, too. I like it a lot more now than I did the first couple of times I used it, too. The size of it is no longer bothering me, and the "springiness" of it is fine with me, now. I was a little less certain at first, though I liked it well enough. It's becoming my "go to" over the last week or so. At some point I'd like to try the forthcoming larger version, and at some point I'd like to try the EJ XL that is so highly touted 'round here. But this little brush doesn't make me feel like I'm lacking anything when I face lather in the mornings.

I'm starting to really appreciate the helpfulness Pyewacket provides in testing new products, too. Go Pye!

7 315
 11-16-2014, 01:25 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Have to agree with you KAV, today's synthetics are surprisingly good. I have a Muhle V2 synthetic and a Kent Infinity Silvertex and find them both provide a very satisfactory lathering experience. What I really like about them is how fast they dry making them outstanding travel brushes. I was a bit sceptical about the Kent prior to purchase as it costs about a quarter of the Muhle, but it does hold its own remarkably well. I'm not about to abandon my badgers by any means for synthetics, however, as I find the synthetics don't have the same "soul" as badgers.

5 887
 11-17-2014, 04:15 PM
User Info
I'm not about to abandon my other brushes either. I'm long on record as stating that they add another dimension to the formula known as shave variety.

32 6,445
 11-17-2014, 08:28 PM
User Info
(11-17-2014, 04:15 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I'm not about to abandon my other brushes either. I'm long on record as stating that they add another dimension to the formula known as shave variety.

And a completely different feel on the face! Biggrin

82 21,056
 11-17-2014, 11:48 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
I'm loving my new synthetic, but the badgers stay.

17 437
 11-20-2014, 12:42 AM
User Info
(11-17-2014, 11:48 PM)Lando Wrote: I'm loving my new synthetic, but the badgers stay.

Agreed !

Synthetics are my travel brushes, badgers are for serious performance at home ;-)

At one point I thought my badgers were being treated, but it was just for a shave or 3........ :-)

Badgers totally rule over ANY synthetic, and I mean ANY SYNTHETIC. I HAVE OWNED THEM ALL !

24 5,857