11-16-2014, 03:50 PM
User Info
I have been wondering this for awhile and with the arrival of my Mongoose so close I can taste it I thought I'd ask. (I realize this probably should be posted in the razor blade section but with the SE fervor reaching fever pitch I thought more people would see it here than there. Mods please feel free to move if it bugs you.)
I have a King Cobra that I love using but I have to admit I have never gotten more than 3 shaves from a Kai Titan, a Feather Pro, or Feather Super Pro. Then I read about people who are getting twenty shaves from the same blades I am using and I don't get what I might be doing wrong. After that third shave the blades tug so terribly that I just switch to a new one. I have tried palm stropping but feel like I am actually dulling the blade when I do it. Perhaps I am doing it wrong. Please enlighten me!

74 2,276
 11-16-2014, 05:01 PM
User Info
Can't help with those blades.

But I just got shave #21 today from a GEM SS ptfe coated blade in an ER '24. The shave was a BBS, and it has more shaves in it. I wish I knew if there was something that I was doing to make this happen, but I'm not aware of what the magic is.

32 6,459
 11-16-2014, 05:30 PM
User Info
I get about 6-8 with the feather pro, but that all I feel the need to stretch them. I can get 10-12 if I tried. I did not get along with the Kai's for more than 3-4 myself.

31 1,800
 11-16-2014, 06:24 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I get 3 maybe 4 from a Kai Mild. The Feather Pros can go longer but never beyond 8 for me. Beard coarseness may be a factor. The palm stropping has helped at times especially on the Gem SS blades.

59 4,503
 11-16-2014, 07:59 PM
User Info
Glad to hear some of you are getting similar results to what I am experiencing. How are these other guys doing it? Is the secret palm stropping? is there a right and a wrong way to palm strop?

74 2,276
 11-16-2014, 09:13 PM
User Info
I assure you that my beard is coarse. In fact, that is the precise reason why DE shaving didn't work for me. My stubble would cause the DE blade to flex and it would then give me tons of weepers and irritation. Even the Cobra Classic gave me a lot of weepers because of its moveable blade bed which made the blade less stable.

I shave with SEs only and I think I've learned how to get the most from using them. I go into some thoughts as to why I get so many shaves out of these blades while others are tossing them away so soon in my Mongoose Journal (I'll have to add a direct link later as I'm on my phone and going to bed now). I do believe a lot of the misconception is in what you should expect to feel from the stiffer SE blade as well as how you should expect to use the blade (technique).

It takes some experimentation if you want to get the most out of your tools. Not everyone is willing to put forth the effort when something else may work just as well and be less hassle. For me, however, that wasn't an option as nothing worked well for me until I found the SE side of shaving.

For the record, I just binned a Feather Pro blade after its 22nd use. This is the longest I've had one of these blades last for me. The previous long was 19. I routinely get 12-15 shaves out of all my preferred SE blades including Feather Pro & Super as well as GEM SS PTFE.

31 8,057
 11-16-2014, 11:20 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Just like SharpSpine I have a coarse beard (often shave twice a day with a Feather DX or straight). My routine is 15 shaves out of a blade and then a new one goes in.

In the past I have stropped them on a paddle with paste and that worked (could easily prolong one blade to over a month), but I don't do that anymore because you have to put the blade half in to the holder to strop, it's messy and I have enough blades to last for over 30+ years.

But just like many others in the beginning I had to replace my blades after 5-6 uses, in time as my technique improved they started lasting longer and longer. Far to much pressure (even when you think you're not using any) might be the reason.

28 1,442
 11-17-2014, 02:53 AM
User Info
I have a coarse beard too, and don't push Pros or Supers past 6 shaves. I chucked my last Pro at 5.

5 160
 11-17-2014, 06:09 AM
User Info
(11-16-2014, 09:13 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I assure you that my beard is coarse. In fact, that is the precise reason why DE shaving didn't work for me. My stubble would cause the DE blade to flex and it would then give me tons of weepers and irritation. Even the Cobra Classic gave me a lot of weepers because of its moveable blade bed which made the blade less stable.

I shave with SEs only and I think I've learned how to get the most from using them. I go into some thoughts as to why I get so many shaves out of these blades while others are tossing them away so soon in my Mongoose Journal (I'll have to add a direct link later as I'm on my phone and going to bed now). I do believe a lot of the misconception is in what you should expect to feel from the stiffer SE blade as well as how you should expect to use the blade (technique).

It takes some experimentation if you want to get the most out of your tools. Not everyone is willing to put forth the effort when something else may work just as well and be less hassle. For me, however, that wasn't an option as nothing worked well for me until I found the SE side of shaving.

For the record, I just binned a Feather Pro blade after its 22nd use. This is the longest I've had one of these blades last for me. The previous long was 19. I routinely get 12-15 shaves out of all my preferred SE blades including Feather Pro & Super as well as GEM SS PTFE.

22 uses!!! That has got to be some type of record! That is absolutely amazing!

74 2,276
 11-17-2014, 06:38 AM
  • Gordy
  • Wherever I am!
User Info
Can't advise on SE blades but I can tell you the difference in longevity in DE, with my experience. When I was just prepping with a wash and hot towel, I was getting no more than five shaves with the blades I trialled. I worked out a better prep routine for me -
1. Coconut oil rubbed in well in advance
2. Hot shower, glycerine soap, really well rinsed
3. Pre-lather and apply a hot towel for 3 minutes (Kyle's method)
The number of shaves jumped to twelve on Astra SP. The shaves are of a much higher quality now, BBS and no stinging with the Alum. I'm going to gradually work through some of the other blades I trialled, to see if they last much longer, especially Gillette Silver Blues.

0 246
 11-17-2014, 08:59 AM
User Info
(11-16-2014, 11:20 PM)Snuff Wrote: Just like SharpSpine I have a coarse beard (often shave twice a day with a Feather DX or straight). My routine is 15 shaves out of a blade and then a new one goes in.

In the past I have stropped them on a paddle with paste and that worked (could easily prolong one blade to over a month), but I don't do that anymore because you have to put the blade half in to the holder to strop, it's messy and I have enough blades to last for over 30+ years.

But just like many others in the beginning I had to replace my blades after 5-6 uses, in time as my technique improved they started lasting longer and longer. Far to much pressure (even when you think you're not using any) might be the reason.
Thanks for the input. I also have a very coarse beard. I could believe the no pressure thing being part of dulling the blade if I were experiencing poor shaves. However, I've got to say I have never had better shaves than I am experiencing with SE blades, zero irritation, it is amazing to me.
Tell me about the holder you have for stropping your blade. I am curious if my palm stropping has been the culprit for premature dulling of my blades.

(11-17-2014, 06:38 AM)Gordy Wrote: Can't advise on SE blades but I can tell you the difference in longevity in DE, with my experience. When I was just prepping with a wash and hot towel, I was getting no more than five shaves with the blades I trialled. I worked out a better prep routine for me -
1. Coconut oil rubbed in well in advance
2. Hot shower, glycerine soap, really well rinsed
3. Pre-lather and apply a hot towel for 3 minutes (Kyle's method)
The number of shaves jumped to twelve on Astra SP. The shaves are of a much higher quality now, BBS and no stinging with the Alum. I'm going to gradually work through some of the other blades I trialled, to see if they last much longer, especially Gillette Silver Blues.

Interesting. I hadn't considered prep as a potential issue. I feel like my prep is good, but definitely not as involved as the one you describe.

74 2,276
 11-17-2014, 09:13 AM
User Info
I get about 6-9 shaves with a Kai or a Feather SE which is about 2 more than the GEM coated stainless blade. I don't do anything special with any of the blades. For comparison, I get 3 shaves with a DE blade.

eric.

7 150
 11-17-2014, 09:25 AM
User Info
This morning's shave was #8 on a Gem stainless ptfe, and it was fine - should be good for at least a couple more.

For me, the shaves actually improve after the first two or three uses.

--Bob

0 185
 11-17-2014, 09:49 AM
User Info
(11-17-2014, 09:25 AM)spidey9 Wrote: This morning's shave was #8 on a Gem stainless ptfe, and it was fine - should be good for at least a couple more.

For me, the shaves actually improve after the first two or three uses.

--Bob

No question for me, too, on those Gem PTFE blades. Shaves 3&4 are way better than the first two.

I'm not sure how long they go for me... I keep s goatee (or "circle beard") which means less face shaved, but shave my head most days (which really chews up blades).

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

7 315
 11-17-2014, 11:04 AM
User Info
I also used to get 7 good shaves with the Feather Pros and I have a very coarse beard.

It could be your angle and prep that are causing the denigration of the blades. It could also be that you really have a very, very coarse beard.

83 21,081
 11-17-2014, 11:53 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(11-17-2014, 08:59 AM)merkur man Wrote: Tell me about the holder you have for stropping your blade. I am curious if my palm stropping has been the culprit for premature dulling of my blades.

I just use my razor (Feather DX) for that. I place the blade about halfway out of the holder to strop.

28 1,442
 11-17-2014, 04:22 PM
User Info
(11-17-2014, 09:49 AM)wagstaff Wrote: No question for me, too, on those Gem PTFE blades. Shaves 3&4 are way better than the first two.

I'm not sure how long they go for me... I keep s goatee (or "circle beard") which means less face shaved, but shave my head most days (which really chews up blades).

For me as well. I don't hand strop either. IMO, that just removes the 1st 4 shaves from the blade. I just use them very carefully for the first few shaves. FWIW, #22 shave on the current GEM SS ptfe and so far I'm seeing no degradation in cutting efficiency; or not enough to can the blade.

Yes, prep may have something to do with longevity. But I'm a piker there; nothing special. All I do is produce an ultralather and take my time face lathering. I want at least 3 minutes of face lathering to prep the whiskers. The ultralather is a fantastic lubricant.

32 6,459
 11-17-2014, 05:37 PM
User Info
Wow... I don't hand strop - haven't experimented with it yet anyway. But I'm surprised you think it takes about 4 shaves off a blade! I'm surprised that people find it adding much life to a blade, too, though. Perhaps I'll play with the idea.

7 315
 11-18-2014, 02:27 PM
User Info
The only reason I think that is because the blade that I get after 3-4shaves w/o hand stropping is the blade that results from hand stropping; or so I've been led to believe. I've never hand stropped. But clearly it does something to the blade for it to work.

32 6,459
 11-18-2014, 03:43 PM
User Info
I feel like I must be hand stropping improperly and rolling the edge because after I do it the blade I thought was still sharp when I finished shaving the day before is dull when I go to use it the following day.
I am currently on day four with a Feather Super Pro and things continue to feel sharp and no tugging occurs when I shave. All I have been doing is wiping down the blade and applying a bit of oil to it post shave. I'll see how long I can make this one last.

74 2,276