11-18-2014, 12:33 PM
  • schnebbs
  • relapsed brush addict
  • chicago
User Info
apparently, someone needs a few more veggie dishes in his repertoire... and having just hosted my wife's vegan *shudder* friend for a weekend, i've got a polenta dish that you may find suitable. (this is the vegetarian version... uses milk and cheese.) =p

creamy polenta and mushroom "ragu" - (serves two easily)

-for the polenta
• 9 oz of polenta (i tend to cheat and use 1/2 of a store bought polenta "log")
• 1/4 cup shaved/grated parmesan cheese
• milk (the higher fat, the better, but you can use skim... or even water)
• white pepper (though black works just fine)

-for the ragu
•1 1/2 cup of tomato sauce (homemade or store bought, your call... no judgements)
•1 lb fresh mushrooms (whatever your preference, but i particularly like oyster or hen of the woods in this dish)
• 1/4 cup red wine
• inexpensive balsamic vinegar (not the good stuff!)

first, i start with the sauce, because that can simmer for a good while. tear (or chop) the mushrooms into bite-sized strips. tearing will give a nice rustic feel, and works very nice with oyster mushrooms. get a pan nice and hot, add a bit of oil, then toss in the mushrooms to brown. (i may salt them towards the end, after a good deal of the natural moisture has been cooked off.) once the mushrooms are browned, add the tomato sauce, wine and some balsamic to taste. it's okay if it's a little loose... just let it simmer in the pan until it reduces a bit.

crumble the polenta into a saucepan, and slowly add milk (or water) until you reach the consistency of mashed potatoes. bring up on a medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent burning. if the polenta starts to get too thick, just add a little more liquid. once it's heated through and at the desired consistency, add in the parmesan and white pepper, and stir (or whisk) thoroughly. you can even add a bit of garlic powder if you like. take off the heat and let set for a few minutes before serving.

i like to get a medium-sized bowl, and scoop the polenta in first. then top with a healthy portion of the mushroom ragu. my wife scoops a bit of each with every spoonful, but i tend to mix it all together as i go. there's not a lot of salt, if that's a concern, because there's already some in the cheese that goes into the polenta. everything beyond that is fairly easy to control.

it's a very simple dish, but it offers a lot of opportunity for experimentation and substitution. i've done the same thing with shrimp, or left the red sauce altogether and used a poached egg.

anyone else have a"non-meat" recipe to share? Wink

1 43
 11-18-2014, 01:54 PM
User Info
Hey Chris, thanks for the Thread. This recipe looks delicious. I have been eating alot of different kinds veggie recipes for a long time. There really isn't a veggie that I don't like except over-cooked spinach...you know the one that came from a big can and served to you at the school cafeteria? I'll give the recipe a go. We like the polenta logs, mushrooms, etc. Copied, saved and printed.

Again, Thanks.

P.S. Feeling much better today. Heart and lungs are good and healthy according to the Doc.

0 1,007
 11-18-2014, 02:08 PM
  • schnebbs
  • relapsed brush addict
  • chicago
User Info
you're quite welcome! i do most* of the cooking around our house, and we've actually cut down on a lot of our red meat consumption over
the past couple years. (she made the comment "we eat a lot of beef." which i took to mean "your rely on red meat too much!"... either way,
i got the hint. =p) we also tend to do a lot of vegetable rice dishes with runny-yolked eggs (over medium, poached or soft boiled, depending
on how adventurous i feel.) those are also stupid-simple to do, but leave plenty of room for experimentation.

if i think up any more that seem fun, i'll add them in. Biggrin

*by "most" i mean "virtually all." my wife makes one thing for dinner... reservations. and she does it extremely well.

and glad to know that you're feeling better! Thumbup

1 43
 11-18-2014, 02:31 PM
User Info
Chris,

If you haven't already checked out some of the veggie recipes I've posted. See Red Lentil Dal, Veggie Taco soup, Thai Soup(with or without chicken). The wife and I have replaced two evening meat meals with veggie only meals per week. It's too easy to do.

0 1,007
 11-18-2014, 03:11 PM
User Info
Polenta is delicious, but I've never gone beyond making it, cooling it, then slicing and frying for use with eggs. Delicious that way. To me it tastes like "popcorn for breakfast". Except that it has body and is filling and popcorn has neither.

32 6,471
 11-18-2014, 03:19 PM
  • schnebbs
  • relapsed brush addict
  • chicago
User Info
mmm... fried polenta. that was my introduction to polenta, warm with a little bit of tasty cheese melting on top of it. it never crossed my mind
to treat polenta like grits for the longest time, even thought they're basically the same corn meal. funny that you bring up popcorn, too...
i watched a cooking show where a chef made grits out of pan-popped popcorn, butter and milk. looked AMAZING.

1 43
 11-20-2014, 04:47 AM
User Info
Veggie lentil soup tonight.

0 1,007
 11-24-2014, 09:33 PM
User Info
Great thread, and following a vegan diet isn't as bad as it sounds, most of the time. I partook in that for over 20 years. Biggrin

83 21,115
 11-28-2014, 09:10 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
There are very good arguments for reducing red meat consumption both for individual health and world ecological considerations.
But,domesticated animal breeds are just that and ironically
are facing the same loss of breed and genetic diversity as crop plants facing factory farming.
I like buffalo( American bison aka Ta Tonka in Lakota), as my redmeat source. It is very lean, higher in nutrients across the whole list VS domesticated and contains no hormones or residual drugs. They are the only known large mammal that is cancer free! As our Midwest sees continued population loss an old idea of restoring parts of the tall grass prairie with buffalo is becoming more viable.
So, seek out rare domesticated breeds for your meat and eggs!

One day at the Redwood Summer protests 'Hey,the Lakota's just brought buffalo stew for dinner.( various vegans) uh,er that's terrible ( smell of hot stew drifting over camp) uh,er ( drooling) well, it IS sacred to them like the sacrament in church and( DROOLING) it would be impolite and disrespectfull and'........general melee trying to get some before the vegans ate it allBiggrin

2 3,171