11-18-2014, 07:36 PM
User Info
Just had my first shave with it today. It seemed harder to work into a lather than most other soaps I've used, even following the Stop Shoppe's suggestion that it's a soap that requires a lot of water. Despite this slickness seemed good. Cushion was also good and I'll learn more about hitting the sweet spot as far as lathering as I go.

"This fragrance features notes grapefruit and bergamot with hints of amber and patchouli with an oakmoss, and sandalwood finish."

Fragrance is the part I want to post about. I hadn't experienced many of these as components of fragrances. When I got the soap, I liked how the combo smelled, though it smelled pretty subtle, very faint compared to many soaps. Lathered up it came together nicely and I very much enjoyed the the scent. One thing I found interesting is that this soap had a totally different face feel than any other soap or cream I've used. I totally dug it. Smooth, sleek, clean. Top notch for me. It smelled great after the shave as well. Lingered amazingly well given how faint it smells out of the container. It smelled so good that I was hesitant to put on my usual EDT that would overshadow it. It acted like fragrances that smell quite different when worn given you body heat and chemistry. Best of all my wife who had sniffed it out of the jar and found it too faint could smell it just fine when it was on me and she really liked it. I wish they'd make a cologne with this.

So I hope the lathering gets better, as I suspect it will, but scent and face feel wise, it had me at shave number one.

What have you guys experience with Austin?

15 145
 11-20-2014, 10:44 AM
User Info
I haven't tried Austin, but I did just receive a pot of their newest soap,"Via dell'Ambra", w/tallow and lanolin.

"The Strop Shoppe is proud to offer this custom fragrance blend of amber, blood orange, spices, and patchouli in our exquisite Limited Edition formula. Our limited edition line is based on our tallow Special Edition formula, with modifications to provide the ultimate in performance and post-shave feel."

-Shaved with it this morning. Excellent performer...thick, yogurt-like suds. Good glide and post-shave feel. The scent is not strong but quite pleasant. A pretty thirsty soap...like you,
it took a few minutes to get the water ratio just right, but it was well worth it in the end.

Still prefer the 1887 lanolin soap they had a year or so ago. Too bad it was discontinued.

0 10
 11-20-2014, 11:17 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I have several Strop Shoppe scents and they all seem a bit faint, which does not bother me. However, I found the scent of Russian Tea (+tallow) to be pleasantly robust.

I love Strop Shoppe soaps. I have not had a problem lathering with it. Are you using the non-tallow versions? I accidentally ordered a tub of vegan unscented and found the lathering more difficult. It did not give a thick stable lather but a thin, slick lather which did provide a good shave. But IMHO, the tallow-based formulations of Strop Shoppe are superior to the vegan.

1 796
 11-20-2014, 11:40 AM
User Info
@TeddyBoy-"Are you using the non-tallow versions?"

-"...but I did just receive a pot of their newest soap,"Via dell'Ambra", w/tallow and lanolin." Biggrin

0 10
 11-20-2014, 01:48 PM
User Info
I love Austin. I like it far more than some of their other offerings that smell too cologne-y for me

11 489
 11-20-2014, 04:44 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(11-20-2014, 11:40 AM)flattop Wrote: @TeddyBoy-"Are you using the non-tallow versions?"

-"...but I did just receive a pot of their newest soap,"Via dell'Ambra", w/tallow and lanolin." Biggrin

Well, did you have a problem lathering?

1 796
 11-20-2014, 04:50 PM
User Info
(11-20-2014, 04:44 PM)Teddyboy Wrote:
(11-20-2014, 11:40 AM)flattop Wrote: @TeddyBoy-"Are you using the non-tallow versions?"

Well, did you have a problem lathering?

The one I got is tallow. I haven't had a chance to use it again since I made the OP BTW has anyone tried WSP Mahagony? If so what did you think?

15 145