11-18-2014, 08:02 PM
User Info
In your own experience how different is the face feel between a Rooney Heritage in Superbadger (in a fan shape) and a Simpson Duke 3 in Best?

I have a Shavemac 23mm and Seville Row 22mm both in 3 band Superbadger which I find quite soft. My understanding is that I'd likely find the Rooney less soft than these but a definite step up from the Duke 3 in Best.

What do you guys think?

15 145
 11-18-2014, 08:08 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
In my experience, they are very different. I would put them in two completely different categories.

I have a Duke 3 in a really, really, really, really, really, really soft Best. (It is soft.)
I had a Stubby 1 Heritage Super. I actually found it to be downright prickly and uncomfortable. It was dense, to be sure, but to me, the hair just felt of an inferior quality. It wasn't even as soft as my Frank Shaving brushes.

Now, I'm perfectly willing to admit, maybe my brush was the exception. I believe I even saw the same brush come up a few other times on the BST after I sold it, so maybe they accidentally caught a hedgehog in their badger trap or something...

-Craig

22 835
 11-19-2014, 08:10 AM
User Info
(11-18-2014, 08:08 PM)chamm Wrote: In my experience, they are very different. I would put them in two completely different categories.

I have a Duke 3 in a really, really, really, really, really, really soft Best. (It is soft.)
I had a Stubby 1 Heritage Super. I actually found it to be downright prickly and uncomfortable. It was dense, to be sure, but to me, the hair just felt of an inferior quality. It wasn't even as soft as my Frank Shaving brushes.

Now, I'm perfectly willing to admit, maybe my brush was the exception. I believe I even saw the same brush come up a few other times on the BST after I sold it, so maybe they accidentally caught a hedgehog in their badger trap or something...

-Craig
love the hedgehog reference

76 1,331
 11-19-2014, 08:43 AM
User Info
(11-19-2014, 08:10 AM)daveinsweethome Wrote:
(11-18-2014, 08:08 PM)chamm Wrote: In my experience, they are very different. I would put them in two completely different categories.

-Craig
love the hedgehog reference

Ha ha. That's good.

I've not had other Simpson Bests, but I have to say that I find mine pretty soft. It has some scritch. Definitely not as soft as my SR and Shavemac If I were going to spring for a Heritage I would want to know if it was going to be a step up from my the best. Don't mind scrub, I like to avoid scritch though as it aggravates some already irritable parts of my face.

15 145
 11-19-2014, 03:38 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I had a Chubby 2 and a Classic 2 in Best, and a Heritage Stubby 3 in Super. I got rid of the Simpsons and kept the Rooney. My comment on the subject.

7 2,359
 11-19-2014, 03:46 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
This is the wrong comparison. Rooney Super is silvertip, ie needs to be compared to Simpson Super, not Best.

39 1,892
 11-19-2014, 04:47 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
The line between Simpsons Best and Super is a very grey and very broad line. I definitely have "best" brushes that are more "super" than "super" brushes. I think it has a lot to do with what their particular stock is at a particular time.

22 835
 11-19-2014, 07:31 PM
User Info
(11-19-2014, 03:46 PM)German Wrote: This is the wrong comparison. Rooney Super is silvertip, ie needs to be compared to Simpson Super, not Best.

No it's actually not the wrong comparison. I have a Simpson's Duke 3 in Best and want to know if people who have used and the Rooney Heritage in super find an appreciable difference.

(11-19-2014, 04:47 PM)chamm Wrote: The line between Simpsons Best and Super is a very grey and very broad line. I definitely have "best" brushes that are more "super" than "super" brushes. I think it has a lot to do with what their particular stock is at a particular time.

Yes, I've heard this from a few people. I think I was on the lucky side with my Duke 3 in Best. It feels Super-ish to me. I imagine it's hard to create metrics for hair grading, but from what I hear it seems some makers seem more consistent in their hair grading than others.

15 145
 11-19-2014, 11:33 PM
User Info
Normally Geo (German) is right in that you should compare Super with Super, but in your case :

1. You specifically want a comparison between the two, for whatever reason, and that's fine
2. Simpson make Best brushes that feels softer than a lot of regular Super 3-bands
(They however also make Best brushes that feel quite harsh, just a matter of badger batch variations, and if you're lucky enough Marks picks you a Soft Best)

I have owned a Duke 3 best (sold all my Dukes, because I prefer my Chubby 2 and 3 10 times out of 10) and own a Rooney Heritage Super in 2-band, so not sure I can be of much help.

But I would pick my Rooney 10 times out of 10 over my Duke 3.
Not saying the Duke is a poor brush, it's CERTAINLY NOT, ITS GREAT, just saying its inferior to me to my Chubby's and my Rooney's

I own a limited edition Chubby 2 in best in swirled faux Ivory picked by Mark and it's easily one of my all time favorite brushes, easily competing with my Rooney Heritage Super 2-Band for face feel. The best hairs in that brush feels more like a 2-band, soft cloud like tips, ample backbone and great flow through.
I'll not sell that brush for less than twice what I paid for it.

24 6,018
 11-20-2014, 10:40 AM
User Info
I used to have a Rooney Heritage Stubby 1XL and I would presume the hair used in this brush was the same as the Heritage, but with just a much denser knot. The one I had was an extremely wonderful knot with great backbone and very soft tips. I much preferred it to Simpsons' Best and even to their Super. Personally, I would imagine the Rooney Heritage would have more backbone than the Shavemac and Saville Row since it is a larger knot and this might contribute to its perceived 'not-softer' tips, but I would refute that as I found the one I had just lovely.
Of course, this is all subjective and the only way you will find out is to buy one and experience it for yourself! Biggrin

83 21,111
 11-20-2014, 12:31 PM
User Info
Thank you for the detailed info guys in helping me make this decision! I do get what German was saying. In general when shopping for brushes certainly you'd want to be comparing equivalent hair grades. Looks like I came off a bit snippy. My apologies to German as I can only assume he was offering help. My purpose for the thread was a bit more specific —it was deciding whether to pull the trigger on a Rooney Heritage beehive in Super based on whether I would likely experience the knot as a solid jump up from my Duke 3 in Best. Or if there was a better than chance likelihood (based on your experiences) that the difference would end up being a "meh". Well, in any case I made my decision and the Rooney is beginning its journey across the continent today.

I'm encouraged by what I've read...sounds like lots of positive Rooney Heritage experiences (as well as with Rooney knots in general). For some reason that beehive handle spoke to me from the first time I saw one—talk about subjective.

I really didn't need another brush. One bonus though (as we all are quite competent as humans at coming up with after the fact reasons why we actually DID need another brush Smile) is that it appears that the knot on the beehive is a bit closer to the hybrid part of bulb to fan continuum than my Sevile and Shavemac. I love those two brushes, but they are definite bulbs, and the SR extremely so. So I do like that my beehive will be a couple of notches fan-ward. That is one reason I haven't unloaded my Duke 3 yet—I just enjoy the shape of the knot especially on soaps and face lathering. I still like the classic look of that Duke 3 handle too even though I've not been reaching for it much since getting the others.

Thanks again for the help. I'm still interested in hearing others' experiences in this realm if they want to weigh in.

15 145
 11-20-2014, 02:27 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Michael and I hope you enjoy the brush!

Boy, you have so many other brushes to experiment with if you really wanted to! It is a great time to be wet-shaving as we are just so fortunate! Biggrin

83 21,111
 11-20-2014, 02:45 PM
User Info
(11-20-2014, 02:27 PM)celestino Wrote: Congratulations, Michael and I hope you enjoy the brush!

Boy, you have so many other brushes to experiment with if you really wanted to! It is a great time to be wet-shaving as we are just so fortunate! Biggrin

Thanks Celestino! I have a couple other brushes than the ones we were discussing. If I've already run into these beauties after just a few months I can only imagine what is in store. Getting good advice you guys has been very helpful in finding the ones I now have. Much appreciated! I'm thoroughly enjoying the beginning of my journey. That's for sure!

15 145
 11-20-2014, 07:13 PM
User Info
Excellent, Michael! Biggrin

83 21,111