11-18-2014, 08:09 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Hello SR users. I recently purchased 2 shavettes from gentleman Johnny. I would love to learn how to properly use a straight and before I tackle the upkeep of a real straight I figure I would try and master the technique of shaving with a straight by starting with a shavette. I've read threads and watched a few videos and my cheeks and chin are fine. WTG and ATG on the neck I have accomplished also. My problem is XTG strokes on the neck. I have whiskers that run from right to left all the way across my neck. Left to right on the left side only. Of course these areas are not a problem with a safety razor. I just can't figure how to get under there with a straight..... Before I behead myself, any help would be appreciated. Thanks and HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 11-18-2014, 08:43 PM
User Info
Unless you have supple, flexible wrists and hands, some areas are only possible for WTG or ATG or XTG. There is an area on my neck where I have to twist my wrists into impossible angles to go ATG. So I just go WTG and XTG twice and get it about as smooth.

0 75
 11-19-2014, 05:25 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
ShaveWares,

The neck is s problem for many of us straight razor shavers. The hair on my neck, in part on both sides, grows toward the ears. So I do one pass north to south with the grain, one pass south to north in part against the grain. For the final pass, I hold the razor vertically and come across from the ears to Adams Apple horizontally. This is a difficult pass, and dangerous, unless you are a seasoned straight shaver. Even then, I do not get a perfect shave on the neck — and settle for the best I can and be done with it. You can make the angle for your final pass on the neck not as steep as mine and that might work for you.

150 3,019
 11-19-2014, 07:29 AM
  • schnebbs
  • relapsed brush addict
  • chicago
User Info
i too, started with a shavette... and the neck almost put me off straights altogether, at least on the first few attempts. finding the right blade for
yourself is key... the first two i tried were horrible, but the third blade worked a fair bit better. my neck also tends to be entirely XTG, as i'm not
near brave enough to try obie's horizontal passes. two passes will do it with very little fuss.

on the bright side, once you feel confident enough to move up from the shavette, a true straight razor will make it a heck of a lot easier... or at
least it did for me. Biggrin

1 43
 11-19-2014, 08:24 AM
User Info
I could do this the rest of my life and I'm sure I'l never get adept at the moves that are against the growth below the jawline to either side of the Adam's apple which are so easy for the safety razor.

Maybe if I had 3 hands and one of them was not affixed where my shoulder is I might have a chance there.

So, I go straight north and south towards and away from the jawline, which is never perfectly aligned with that neck hair.

On a good day with a DE and a feathery touch I can do that neck ATG move and get it smooth as the baby's rear with nary an ingrown, but I can just as easily get a few weepers or ingrowns from asking the very most out of the blade and hair.

No matter what I do with the straight, I do not get either; it is just a question of getting it as free of stubble.

Having that skin really wet and the spine extremely low helps there for me, in fact I get the best result from less stretching, sort of pushing down with the spine nearly flush and moving 90-deg from the angle of pressure I'm making. Amazing how when an edge is 'smooth' enough it will pick up that skin and cut that hair without cutting the skin. Do note that this is not possible with the Shavette, but I would also argue that, being so much sharper, it has no need for it.

0 72
 11-19-2014, 10:24 AM
User Info
Looks like that is where the coticule comes into play.

Even when I got my shave at Trumpers, it still wasn't perfect BBS. But I like to equate shaving with a straight razor to playing golf, its all about getting closer and closer, using our strokes.

0 75
 11-19-2014, 07:03 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
After I posted this thread last night , I went in and gave it a go. I can see where it's one of those things where you just have to do the best you can. I did a bit better but I still don't know if I can ever achieve a bbs in the neck area. The blade is just too darn wide to fit. I will continue to work on it as I'm not one to throw in the towel. I enjoy the feel of straight razor shaving... and yes I already own 3 real straights that need some expert attention. Still need a strop too. That is in the plans....

Just like anything new. I guess you have to jump on if you want to learn how to ride. Thanks and would like to hear from more of you gentleman....

5 1,151
 12-10-2014, 04:50 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
I can say that this interactive has been a real help to me for shaving the cowlick on my Adam's apple:
whiskarmap/
Click on a hair growth direction and then place it on the area it corresponds to. I did it as a mirror image so it was available to help me shave. Helps to also figure the blade direction for use.
Have fun!
Here's what it looks like when you go to the site:
[Image: obxIz4C.jpg]
~Richard

8 1,194
 12-10-2014, 10:09 PM
User Info
I too have a neck like Obie and it took about 75 shaves before I had the dexterity to pull off those very light ATG passes on both sides of my neck,(ear to Adam's Apple). Now it seems allot easier and with a very sharp and smooth edge I can get a BBS shave most days even on my most difficult areas.
A big step toward that end came when I did a beard map as Richard suggested above and learned how to hone a razor to a very sharp state.
I also have to twist my head up and away from the side I'm shaving to help stretch the skin on these areas.
A very slick&wet lather is a must as I can't stretch my neck skin as tight as I would like while doing these passes.
Remember it takes time and practice, keep trying and eventually it will all come together.

4 41