11-19-2014, 04:40 AM
User Info
Hi

As per title I am looking for a good synthetic shaving brush, I have the Body shop synthetic at the moment but this brush is not great tbh , bristles are waayyy too stiff, holds no water at all, am wondering brands make good synthetics

0 60
 11-19-2014, 05:03 AM
User Info
I don't believe you can do any better than with the Edwin Jagger XL synthetic brush. The latest V2 fibre knots are superb. You can read all you need, along with extensive confirmation of this brush's qualities here:-

http://shavenook.com/thread-edwin-jagger-xl-synthetic

31 5,293
 11-19-2014, 05:44 AM
User Info
I agree with David.
I'm not a fan of synthetic brushes, but I was able to test the EJ 25mm and I was surprised by the density and quality of these new fibers. It is not for me, but definitely a positive surprise.

17 908
 11-19-2014, 05:53 AM
User Info
thanks for the replies, sounds like the EJ is the way to go

0 60
 11-19-2014, 07:13 AM
User Info
If you are looking for a soft, pliable, not dense, and medium-sized brush, I have become a big fan of the Muhle HJM black fibre brush. When dry, it feels like it would be too soft and floppy, but it has done a great job building lather out of softer soaps like Barrister & Mann and hard soaps like MWF.

The handle can be characterized as "modern" or "dull" depending on what you think, but the knot and the brush itself has exceeded my expectations. I tried the Muhle STF "medium" (23mm) brush and felt it was too dense and springy. I prefer to "mash" and splay out the brush on my face in both circular and side-to-side motions and the HJM handles it very well.

84 1,505
 11-19-2014, 08:36 AM
User Info
Just pick a brush made today, that is, not 4 years ago, and of a name brand, and it should be good.

There are so many good ones today that I won't/can't specify any one brush. Too, I don't have your face and can't know what you'll like or what you need. Find the characteristics that you'll like.

You say you don't know what you'll like? You're in a great spot to learn. Much has been written on these pages to describe various synthetic brushes.

Oh, and don't expect a synthetic brush to "hold water". They don't. In fact to even get it to try to hold water is a huge mistake. Don't pre-wet the fibers as you would with a natural fiber brush. The synthetic fibers don't need it and won't respond to it. Another reason is that synthetic fibers do hold a bit of water, but then they just wait for the first opportunity to dump it somewhere. When I was first learning to use synthetic brushes it was the most difficult habit to break (pre-wetting). When I learned to put the water where I wanted it, that is, on the soap puck, or just on the very tips of the brush I got much better results. With a synthetic you absolutely must be in control of the water, don't allow the brush to control it.

32 6,459
 11-19-2014, 09:45 AM
User Info
(11-19-2014, 08:36 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Oh, and don't expect a synthetic brush to "hold water". They don't. In fact to even get it to try to hold water is a huge mistake. Don't pre-wet the fibers as you would with a natural fiber brush. The synthetic fibers don't need it and won't respond to it. Another reason is that synthetic fibers do hold a bit of water, but then they just wait for the first opportunity to dump it somewhere. When I was first learning to use synthetic brushes it was the most difficult habit to break (pre-wetting). When I learned to put the water where I wanted it, that is, on the soap puck, or just on the very tips of the brush I got much better results. With a synthetic you absolutely must be in control of the water, don't allow the brush to control it.
Thanks, some useful info there, I noticed that my Body shop brush does not hold any water and wondered if this was true of all synthetic brushes

0 60
 11-19-2014, 10:57 AM
User Info
For the money it is very hard to beat the L'Occitane Cade Plisson synthetic at only $30.

http://usa.loccitane.com/cade-shaving-br...tm#s=29434

This and its counterpart direct from Plisson are my daily drivers.

Another great option if you want more backbone but keep the soft tips of the Plisson is the Grooming Company brush that you can order from BullGoose.

http://bullgooseshaving.com/grooming-co-...g-brushes/

31 8,057
 11-19-2014, 11:49 AM
User Info
For the money and performance, Plisson synthetic!

83 21,078
 11-19-2014, 02:02 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
I'm sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but I've been contemplating a synthetic as well. I've seen a lot of Plisson synthetics on the SOTD thread. Can anyone help with the dimensions of that brush. They aren't listed on their website. Thanks in advance.

75 1,321
 11-19-2014, 02:29 PM
User Info
(11-19-2014, 02:02 PM)Gabe Wrote: I'm sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but I've been contemplating a synthetic as well. I've seen a lot of Plisson synthetics on the SOTD thread. Can anyone help with the dimensions of that brush. They aren't listed on their website. Thanks in advance.

Most of them should be around 22-23mm X 55-56mm
This sounds like it would make it a floppy knot, which in a way it is, but this allows for such a lovely splay for a synthetic. Biggrin

83 21,078
 11-19-2014, 02:57 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
This sounds like something I might like. I have used a Muhle synthetic and really enjoyed the knot. The only problem was the size. It was 19mm and too small for my tastes. I might give this one a try. Thanks

75 1,321
 11-19-2014, 11:37 PM
User Info
(11-19-2014, 08:36 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Just pick a brush made today, that is, not 4 years ago, and of a name brand, and it should be good.

There are so many good ones today that I won't/can't specify any one brush. Too, I don't have your face and can't know what you'll like or what you need. Find the characteristics that you'll like.

You say you don't know what you'll like? You're in a great spot to learn. Much has been written on these pages to describe various synthetic brushes.

Oh, and don't expect a synthetic brush to "hold water". They don't. In fact to even get it to try to hold water is a huge mistake. Don't pre-wet the fibers as you would with a natural fiber brush. The synthetic fibers don't need it and won't respond to it. Another reason is that synthetic fibers do hold a bit of water, but then they just wait for the first opportunity to dump it somewhere. When I was first learning to use synthetic brushes it was the most difficult habit to break (pre-wetting). When I learned to put the water where I wanted it, that is, on the soap puck, or just on the very tips of the brush I got much better results. With a synthetic you absolutely must be in control of the water, don't allow the brush to control it.

What a great post !!

The points about not soaking and loading a synyhetic brush is spot on !

(11-19-2014, 02:29 PM)celestino Wrote:
(11-19-2014, 02:02 PM)Gabe Wrote: I'm sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but I've been contemplating a synthetic as well. I've seen a lot of Plisson synthetics on the SOTD thread. Can anyone help with the dimensions of that brush. They aren't listed on their website. Thanks in advance.

Most of them should be around 22-23mm X 55-56mm
This sounds like it would make it a floppy knot, which in a way it is, but this allows for such a lovely splay for a synthetic. Biggrin

If only Plisson made a 24 mm knot with 50 mm loft, I would be all over that brush !
I just sold my 5 brand new Plisson synthetics because of floppy feel.

24 5,969
 11-21-2014, 07:02 PM
User Info
I am pretty much locked in with an all synthetic lineup. I use a rotation of Plisson, The Grooming Co., EJagger XL ... and Muhle XL on occasion. I can't rank them, except for putting the Muhle slightly below the EJ likely bc of the handle.

I really like all of them for different reasons. As stated, they don't hold water, however once I got used to how they perform I prefer them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

192 1,588
 11-21-2014, 09:16 PM
User Info
Wow, Dave! No badgers in your den?! Biggrin

83 21,078
 11-22-2014, 07:54 AM
User Info
(11-19-2014, 04:40 AM)shoulderpet Wrote: I have the Body shop synthetic at the moment but this brush is not great tbh , bristles are waayyy too stiff, holds no water at all, am wondering brands make good synthetics

I have that brush,it's not something great but not a very bad one
I your skin says that this is too stiff then prepare your self because the majority of the Synthetics are like this one.
Now i have in rotation a TGN and a FS Pur-Tech but if you want something "smooth" as the other members said go for a Black Fibre
I have a Muhle at 22mm but i am a "scratchy" guy so i don't use it often.

0 353
 11-22-2014, 08:01 AM
User Info
(11-21-2014, 09:16 PM)celestino Wrote: Wow, Dave! No badgers in your den?! Biggrin

The few I have left are currently in boxes, although I do plan on rotating a few in. Crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

192 1,588
 11-22-2014, 07:10 PM
User Info
People seem to be happy with the pilsson synthetic brush

22 187
 11-22-2014, 10:44 PM
User Info
(11-22-2014, 08:01 AM)waveflow Wrote:
(11-21-2014, 09:16 PM)celestino Wrote: Wow, Dave! No badgers in your den?! Biggrin

The few I have left are currently in boxes, although I do plan on rotating a few in. Crazy!

Biggrin

83 21,078
 11-23-2014, 07:36 PM
User Info
(11-22-2014, 07:10 PM)bebo8 Wrote: People seem to be happy with the pilsson synthetic brush

I just sold my 5 Plisson's Wink

24 5,969