11-19-2014, 12:16 PM
User Info
Question for all the UK gents. Is Jermyn Street in London as good as it looks with the wet shaving & gentlemens clothing store fronts I've seen online?Babeando I wander what a trip from Texas to London would cost?Hmm Whatever the cost I think it would be worth it. BUCKET LIST!
I've never been to London but I have been entertaining the idea as of late. I think it would be great to travel to different countries and I envy the guys that are able to do it on a regular basis.Bow

6 589
 11-19-2014, 02:02 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I could spend 6 months there and just scratch the surfaceConfused of London shopping
There is the basement silver center- the underground centre for all things Sterling and a famous shopping center of independent shops- and my mind just went blank- where even talking loudly will get a polite remonstrance from matrons.
Used bookstores, antique shops, Harrods and Selfridges......
SIGH, and I've been looking on EBAY this afternoonFacepalm

2 3,171
 11-19-2014, 07:31 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
There are certain cities that are like no others. New York, Paris, and London are always the first three that come into my mind. Yes, London is a must see. As Kav stated, six months and you'd only scratch the surface. A wonderful place.

2 11,211
 11-19-2014, 07:48 PM
User Info
Film critic the late Roger Ebert wrote a book about his experiences over the decades of visiting London and discovering new insights into the city upon each new visit. If you can find a copy of his The Perfect London Walk, it's a good read. There are also essays on his website about these visits. Some here:

http://www.rogerebert.com/life-itself/st...ondon-walk

http://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journal...rambulator

29 1,776
 11-19-2014, 09:53 PM
User Info
Ron, thanks for the info! Smile

83 21,081
 11-20-2014, 01:30 AM
User Info
a hot tip for a fantastic and cheap/silent/clean/safe place to stay in london is fleet river.

it's only 4 (or 6) small apartments (not that small - perhaps 30-40 sqm) with full kitchen with everything you can possibly need - in a good spot in the middle of the city. i am quite sure you cannot find anything better for at least 2 times the price in all of london.

from norway it's often only $100 for a return ticket, so an equally good price for accomodation means i can go bananas shopping Biggrin

7 1,624
 11-20-2014, 03:26 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
SWMBO and I love London and whenever we're there I make sure to take a slow meander along Jermyn Street, the Picadilly Arcade and the Burlington Arcade. We also like to stroll Oxford Street and Regent Street. But there is a great deal more to do and see in London than shopping. London, Paris and Rome, in that order are my favourite cities. Samuel Johnson summed up London very well "...when a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." You won't be disappointed by a visit to London.

7 911