11-20-2014, 03:08 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
My new vintage boar arrived today, and although I wasn't expecting it, the original box came with it too. Bonus! The box was badly damaged, but I restored it (I won't bore you with the details). The lettering on the handle is very glittery gold, as you can see. It's such a beautiful brush really, terribly elegant. It has never been used. The base of the hefty handle is unscuffed and very shiny, a sure sign of having never been used.

The dimensions are:

Loft: 5cm
Handle height 4.5cm
Total height: 9.5cm
Knot: 25mm
Weight: 68gm

I cleaned the brush thoroughly, lost one hair only. Plenty of backbone but seriously soft tips, very creamy.

You can see, on the box it says "..sterilised by the bacterol process." I have read references to bacterol formulation going back to 1914, but it was still in use in the UK, as far as I know, as late as 1954. I am speculating the date of this brush to be as early as 1935.

I don't know what brand of brush this is, and oddly, it does not say on the box. I'd love to know. The shadows on the brush handle make it look a little eccentric, but it isn't. The form is near perfect, and the colour is a lovely pale cream ivory.

It's up there with my favourites already. Enjoy, gentlemen!

[Image: f4hkloO.jpg]
[Image: dqI4eSn.jpg][Image: EhaRhvT.jpg]
[Image: xqORWOr.jpg]

And here it is next to the Simpson Duke #2 in best:

[Image: XChkZOw.jpg]

0 1,732
 11-20-2014, 05:23 AM
User Info
Elegant blonde babe. Alfred Hitchcock would give her a starring role.

8 896
 11-20-2014, 08:19 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Shaun, your on a roll with the vintage items!! If you didn't put it next to the D2 I would have thought it was some very small wee scott sized brush. Its in incredible condition and love that creamy handle color it is in the photos. So from the sounds of it its going into rotation then isn't it! The box looks pretty good for something that old, I can't imagine what bad would look like then.

Great job, good haul on the brush with packaging!

35 1,329
 11-20-2014, 12:54 PM
User Info
smashing! and as to the lovely box, i got instant pictures in my head with this:

[Image: DiE29OC.jpg]

7 1,624
 11-20-2014, 02:06 PM
User Info
That is an amazing find. A lovely vintage brush indeed.

48 5,713
 11-21-2014, 12:46 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(11-20-2014, 12:54 PM)tonsorius Wrote: smashing! and as to the lovely box, i got instant pictures in my head with this:

[Image: DiE29OC.jpg]

Yes, good connection. I had noticed the inverted arrow design, but for the life of me cannot place it. It seems so odd that the product does not have a manufacture's name.

0 1,732
 11-21-2014, 11:57 AM
User Info
Very nice-looking brush!

82 21,056