11-20-2014, 05:29 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
How many of us actually use a soap or cream until it's done? I'm guessing very few. After all, variety is the spice of life!

So what is the best way to store the opened containers of soap or cream? Is it safe to simply let it sit in your shave den? Tupperware at room temp? In a refrigerator with controlled temperature & humidity? or perhaps nothing?

Is there a preferred method for long term storage of unopened soap?

I'm hoping some of the artisans will chime in. It would not be unusual for me to have a soap opened and sitting for over a year until it's completed and so proper storage is key. I also have several years worth of MDC, CRSW & others (sealed) I'd like to store properly….

Thanks in advance.

159 1,316
 11-20-2014, 05:56 AM
User Info
(11-20-2014, 05:29 AM)Steelman Wrote: How many of us actually use a soap or cream until it's done? I'm guessing very few. After all, variety is the spice of life!

So what is the best way to store the opened containers of soap or cream? Is it safe to simply let it sit in your shave den? Tupperware at room temp? In a refrigerator with controlled temperature & humidity? or perhaps nothing?

Is there a preferred method for long term storage of unopened soap?

I'm hoping some of the artisans will chime in. It would not be unusual to have a soap opened and sitting for over a year until it's completed and so proper storage is key. I also have several years worth of MDC (sealed) I'd like to store properly….

Thanks in advance.
I store mine in a "soup mug". It looks like a large coffee mug and has a plastic lid in which I drill three small vent holes to prevent souring. It
Works great with plenty of room for lathering.
[Image: sOAsEor.jpg]
Sold at Wal Mart around $3.00

6 589
 11-20-2014, 09:13 AM
User Info
You can buy containers from the likes of Queen Charlotte for fairly cheap. I think Mama Bear also sells them.

0 62
 11-20-2014, 09:26 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Storing in a 'fridge risks picking up food ordours.

2 3,171
 11-20-2014, 10:30 AM
User Info
There are so many plastic tubs to store your containers or even the Pyrex glass containers. I don't have any opened pucks, but leaving them in mugs wouldn't harm them either.
I just find the tubs easier to stack and store! Biggrin

82 21,056
 11-20-2014, 11:15 AM
User Info
I'm into my third box of eight 4oz Glad snap top round plastic containers (cheap at lots of stores) using them to store shaving soap samples. The ones from Stirling and Mystic Waters have the consistency of modeling clay, and smoosh easily into the bottom of the plastic container base. Cheap, un-breakable, hard to beat (if they stacked better they'd be faultless).
I keep them at room temperature and don't fuss overmuch about them. Some of the harder soaps might lose some of their scent, but I find it unlikely that they'd deteriorate to a point past usefulness.
Soap sticks are another example of exceptional shelf life. La Toja shaving sticks are sold in an un-sealed cardboard box, and the plastic 2-piece capsule inside that contains the actual soap is perforated top and bottom, similar to the way that many travel tubes for shaving brushes have openings for ventilation. That's the way it sits on the shelf in retail stores.
There exist tales of La Toja shaving sticks left in Dad's box in the attic that performed flawlessly after years of neglect. Perhaps the Hostess Twinkie of shave soaps.
Euro

5 395
 11-20-2014, 12:14 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Thanks all for the replies.

my question was more directed at storing containers that have been opened. Do I need to do anything special to store a soap that is already in a container,but has been opened and used?

From the replies, I get the feeling that I don't need to do anything other than keep the container sealed.

159 1,316
 11-20-2014, 01:17 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Correct, you "don't need to do anything other than keep the container sealed." Biggrin
You might additionally choose to let them dry out a bit before putting the lid on… but doing so is your choosing and the amount of time is your choosing (though a couple hours should be more than enough time to do that). Totally optional.
When I let mine dry out first, I usually place them upside down but I make sure air can get to it, so I just prop one edge of the bowl up on something else, so that it's at an angle (not lying flat on the surface it's resting on).

(11-20-2014, 12:14 PM)Steelman Wrote: Thanks all for the replies.

my question was more directed at storing containers that have been opened. Do I need to do anything special to store a soap that is already in a container,but has been opened and used?

From the replies, I get the feeling that I don't need to do anything other than keep the container sealed.

57 2,549
 11-20-2014, 07:11 PM
User Info
(11-20-2014, 12:14 PM)Steelman Wrote: From the replies, I get the feeling that I don't need to do anything other than keep the container sealed.

Thumbup

82 21,056
 11-20-2014, 07:43 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I've used several hard soaps until only the Cheshire Cat smile remained and then faded into packing the new puck.
My MWF would crack if left open. It looked like spring breakup of the pack ice in a Jack London novel. A few drops of soft water, close lid and it reforged like Aragorn's sword.
My Dittmars sometimes develops brown oxidation on the remaining lather I recover from my brushes. It is not a problem. Many soaps MAY seem to 'sputter' toward the end, mostly loss of scent. I merely mill my 'Cheshire Cat' around the loose perimeter of a new puck and I'm all smiles again.

2 3,171
 11-21-2014, 03:59 AM
User Info
I just store the refills in the cardboard box they came in Huh
Just brought out my first Harris Almond soap from 2008 again and its as good as new, the scent is still way stronger than what they offer today Biggrin

0 57
 11-21-2014, 04:08 AM
User Info
Well... for an hard soap (like the triple milled soaps), you don't even need a sealed container.
The vast majority of (e.g.) the English soaps are sold in ceramic or wooden bowls, or in cardbox boxes. These bowls and boxes are far from being sealed, and are more than enough to keep the soap in good condition.

Sealed containers can be helpful, though, if you are talking about soft soaps, creams or artisan soaps.

An important thing to do is keeping the moisture out. Let the soap or cream dry well after using it (let it open for a few hours, or until your next shave) and everything will be fine.

2 5,545
 11-21-2014, 07:52 AM
  • Deano
  • Iowa
User Info
I keep mine in Old Spice mugs unless they come in a container such as Mama Bear or Proraso. I rotate and use them all enough that drying out isn't a problem for me.

7 898
 11-21-2014, 01:21 PM
User Info
I put mine into the 6 oz.plastic cups that come in different colors,with tight fitting tops.I get 6 for a buck that I purchase at the local Dollar store!

20 441
 11-21-2014, 02:33 PM
User Info
I don't know actually since I started collecting creams in 2011 and soaps in 2013 Tongue

I now own 80+ creams and 40+ soaps.

I'm not worried about the soaps, they will be just fine for years and years. No matter if they are sealed or not.

Creams however are more prone to have problms since they have a higher amount of water in them. And water tend to turn bad at some point, getting infected with bacteria.

I try to not load my brush with too much water when I load my softer creams, since water is the worst enemy, when you think of long term storage of creams.

24 5,842
 11-24-2014, 06:33 PM
User Info
(11-20-2014, 11:15 AM)opsimath Wrote: Perhaps the Hostess Twinkie of shave soaps.
Euro

Lol

11 61