11-20-2014, 09:58 AM
User Info
Is it harsh like Cobra or R41? Does it have a tendency to punish poor technique or momentary lapses of attention by making you bleed? OR Is it forgiving? AND Is it a close and smooth shaver with no discernable stubble? Do you find yourself rubbing your face later in the day and realizing how smooth it is several hours later? Is it truly an improvement, in your opinion?

24 1,208
 11-20-2014, 11:19 AM
  • Rob W
  • Central IL, USA
User Info
(11-20-2014, 09:58 AM)brothers Wrote: Is it harsh like Cobra or R41? Does it have a tendency to punish poor technique or momentary lapses of attention by making you bleed? OR Is it forgiving? AND Is it a close and smooth shaver with no discernable stubble? Do you find yourself rubbing your face later in the day and realizing how smooth it is several hours later? Is it truly an improvement, in your opinion?

First let me start by saying that I do not find the Cobra or the R41 to be harsh for me. The Mongoose gives me a very close and smooth shave with the Feather Pro Guard and Super blades. As far as poor technique or momentary lapses of attention, yes it can bite you especially with a Feather Super. I find the Mongoose to be the best shaving razor that I have right now. This is just my experience. It may be different for you. Some people find the Feather Pro or the Kai Mild to be the best blade for them. Hope this helps some.

Rob

4 632
 11-20-2014, 01:02 PM
User Info
I'd like to know if the Mongoose has a large blade gap? I know that blade exposure is determined by the type of blade you use (Feather Pro or Super). Just wondering about the blade gap. That's a big determining factor in how well I get along with a razor.

77 369
 11-20-2014, 01:16 PM
User Info
Gary, I find the Mongoose to be the smoothest razor I've ever used. DEs were always rough and the R41 (2011 version) was the roughest I ever felt. The Cobra was smooth, but it still gave me lots of weepers with every shave regardless of how hard I focused on my technique. Since receiving the Mongoose all those problems I had with the Cobra are gone. I now attribute those problems with the Cobra to its moveable blade bed.

You can still modify how the shave feels based on the blades with the Mongoose too. For me, the extra exposure from the Feather Supers leads to more nicks if my angle isn't correct; not weepers since the blade is still very stable. After using a Feather Super and going back to a Feather Pro I can barely even tell that there is a blade inserted into the razor. I won't say that it is completely forgiving as these blades are wicked sharp and if you catch it at the wrong angle or with a poor stroke it will certainly bite you.

(11-20-2014, 01:02 PM)Silence! Wrote: I'd like to know if the Mongoose has a large blade gap? I know that blade exposure is determined by the type of blade you use (Feather Pro or Super). Just wondering about the blade gap. That's a big determining factor in how well I get along with a razor.

Here's a picture where I tried to show the blade gap...

[Image: NiXzUTm.jpg]

31 8,054
 11-21-2014, 11:22 AM
User Info
a you tube video from "the mad scientist" actually two parts goes into the mongoose shave qualities thoroughly. if only mine would get here.

73 1,260
 11-22-2014, 08:34 AM
User Info
(11-21-2014, 11:22 AM)daveinsweethome Wrote: a you tube video from "the mad scientist" actually two parts goes into the mongoose shave qualities thoroughly. if only mine would get here.

Can you please post the video? I couldn't find it for whatever reason.

22 187
 11-22-2014, 09:06 AM
User Info
I watched it, got lucky and found it right off. Didn't realize there is a part 2. Anyway, unless I am just wrong and I am wrong often, I saw blood on his chin afterward and I think I heard him admit there was a weeper. That happens occasionally with the Cobra in my hand. I'm looking for the Mongoose to replace the Cobra in this respect.

24 1,208
 11-28-2014, 04:39 PM
User Info
I didn't measure it, but just by eyeballing it, I would say that the blade gap is about average. If you have used a single end razor in the past, you should have no problem achieving the right shaving angle.

I found the Mongoose to be smoother than the Cobra and also than the more aggressive single end razors like the MMOC.

I have found single end razors in general to be more effective in my problem areas - my neck and chin - and the same is true of the Mongoose.

So far, I like everything about the Mongoose - the appearance, the design, the workmanship and especially the performance.

66 693
 11-28-2014, 05:39 PM
User Info
lets see if I can do this. sorry I can't do it. a first impressions review of the mongoose razor is it's title. I would try again it might show up this time.

73 1,260
 11-30-2014, 05:13 AM
User Info
For me the Mongoose is an improvement over the Cobra. It is considerably faster for me as I am nearly done with one pass and touch up. There are no or minimal weepers. My face feels different than with the Cobra - not quite as smooth maybe but stays that way a little longer I think. Using Kai Titan Mild in both or Feather in the Cobra. Haven't tried a Feather in the Mongoose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 1
 11-30-2014, 06:22 AM
User Info
(11-22-2014, 09:06 AM)brothers Wrote: I saw blood on his chin afterward and I think I heard him admit there was a weeper. That happens occasionally with the Cobra in my hand. I'm looking for the Mongoose to replace the Cobra in this respect.

What's doin Gary,

After shaving with a Cobra and King Cobra which was kinda similar, I can say you will have to try the Mongoose head. Not the same injector sorta angle of attack with the Mongoose, which changes lots of stuff. I am still figuring out any little tweaks (only 3 shaves till now) but so far the performance has been good with the right blade loaded.

Worth a look,

Martin

1 79
 11-30-2014, 08:29 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Shortly after trying the Cobra about a year ago, I sold all of my DE's and SE's because I knew that I had found the perfect razor. I've had the Mongoose for about a week, and am ready to sell my Cobra.

38 5,026
 12-02-2014, 10:44 PM
User Info
I had a Cobra and sold it. I now have the Mongoose and I may sell all my other razors. It shaves so smooth & close it seems like it doesn't make sense to use any other razor.
Tonight's shave was no different. Smooth as silk.

[Image: Gq5tnO1.jpg]

5 1,514
 12-03-2014, 07:29 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
(11-20-2014, 09:58 AM)brothers Wrote: Is it harsh like Cobra or R41? Does it have a tendency to punish poor technique or momentary lapses of attention by making you bleed? OR Is it forgiving? AND Is it a close and smooth shaver with no discernable stubble? Do you find yourself rubbing your face later in the day and realizing how smooth it is several hours later? Is it truly an improvement, in your opinion?

Personally, it hit everything you were hoping for in your statements Gary. I find it forgiving, gives a close and smooth shave, not harsh. Smooth as in a wide Weber PH if that helps. I have only used it with a Kai mild which worked right off the bat for me. I have not gone into Feather Pro territory yet, and will likely never go Feather Super. I do not care for overly aggressive razors, nor ones that have a very narrow workable range. I'm not even going to really account for my Cobra time as a good reference as it was years ago, I wasn't given much time with it, and I used a Feather. R41 ate me up. Never tried the 13' R41. I love my Japanese Barber cup, thank you!

143 1,983
 12-04-2014, 01:06 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I am 7-10 shaves in & am here to admit that while I like the Mongoose - I am finding it too harsh.

On the pros: the shaves are very close. Just as close, if not closer, than with a Cobra Classic. At the same time - it is not leading to razor bumps like my carts. So in that respect it's magic. Sitting here 10+ hours after my am shave - I have less stubble than I usually do right after my DE shave. It is wicked good in that respect. Second, the format is super easy to use - as easy as any cart (unlike - say a straight).

On the con side: first, I am finding this razor too heavy. IMHO - the Cobra Classic looks better and has better weight & balance. Second, I have been getting some razor burn / discomfort (albeit minor) and the odd weeper or two. I am hoping these will go away over time.

It would appear that I'm using too much pressure to get a closer shave and getting burn as a result. I am not. I guard against pressure like a hawk but I think the razor is so heavy & the blade (Pro) so sharp - that I'm unable to get a milder shave. For reference - my best current razor is the 37c Slant.

I did try a couple of different handles. Some were too light and made the razor top heavy (and did not resolve burn/discomfort). Heavier ones did not solve the excessive weight problem.

The Mongoose is well manufactured and the team behind it is stellar. I am going to give myself & the razor more time to work on our issues. However, at this point - I would swap with a Cobra Classic if it was available & if ClassicShaving stood behind the product. But it's not available - so that's a moot point.....

17 535
 12-04-2014, 04:10 PM
User Info
First of all, I love the design, appearance and workmanship of the Mongoose - it is clearly a (very large) well-made, precision tool.

If you have one, or are expecting one, be patient; there’s a learning curve to using this razor - your patience will be rewarded!

I am using a Feather Pro blade, which I used when I owned a Cobra a couple of years ago - it took me a few shaves to get used to it back then as well.

It's a very efficient razor. The sharpness of the blade and the wider head mean I need fewer passes, so it has reduced my shaving time by a full five minutes. For me, this is a big plus.

The combination of the Pro Blade, the overall razor weight and the huge “Dub Legend” handle caused a lot of weepers, nicks and irritation with my first few shaves. I was sure the big handle was just too heavy to achieve smooth strokes. I tried a lighter handle and didn’t notice a significant difference, so I went back to the Dub.

Today, I paid more attention to using the least possible pressure and I changed my shave angle a bit. The handle didn’t seem to be an issue this time. I still had a couple of weepers, but the irritation, as determined by my alum block, was minimal. Things are improving!

The shaving angle that works best for me is similar to what I use with other SE razors. I start with the head flush against my face and tilt the razor slightly until the blade just makes contact with my beard.

Based on my 24 hour re-growth, it shaves about as closely as the MMOC, but feels smoother. If you’re strictly a DE razor guy, it’s similar to a Joris/Fatip or a 2013 R41.

If you’re a DE shaver who prefers Slants for the increased blade rigidity, you should consider the Mongoose (or any other SE razor).

The Feather Pro blade is just a bit too aggressive for me, so I ordered the “Mongoose Sampler” from tryablade.com. I’m hoping that one of the milder Kai blades is a better fit.

My Holy Grail razor would be an efficient, aggressive, but smooth razor that requires fewer strokes per pass and leaves no irritation – imagine the comfort of an AS-D2 with the closeness of an R41. I still haven’t found “The One” that puts it all together, but the Mongoose is very close. With a bit of fine-tuning, I think the potential is there.

66 693
 12-04-2014, 04:55 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I have numerous brushes. I change off often and have many favorites.However, as far as razors are concerned I think I might have found the holy grail.I thought the improvement of the Mongoose over the King Cobra would be minor. Wrong, wrong,wrong. The stabilized blade afforded by the three piece design results in a much more forgiving shave. A three day growth of beard dissolved into a face that felt (not looked) like a baby's butt. The result was obtained with a three pass shave with no weepers cuts or abrasions. Furthermore,absolutely no razor burn or discomfort was noticed after the shave. I believed I needed two Cobras in my collection . One Cobra as a backup. In case one of my Cobras broke. I was especially nervous concerning the latch on the Cobra. The Mongoose, however, is so sturdily built I will wait to purchase another, at least, until the gold plated model is released.
[Image: hA40zpE.jpg]

68 1,046
 12-04-2014, 05:03 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(12-04-2014, 04:10 PM)vocalistbob Wrote: If you’re a DE shaver who prefers Slants for the increased blade rigidity, you should consider the Mongoose (or any other SE razor).

This is exactly one of the reasons I'm waiting for a Mongoose. Smile
Slants are usually the DE razors that work better for me, and SE razors like the GEM OCMM are among my all time favorite razors.

26 4,891
 12-04-2014, 05:07 PM
User Info
So far my experience with the Mongoose is that it's too mild for me. Initially, I began using the Feather Pro and just couldn't get a close shave. I thought the problem was I just couldn't find the proper angle. All I could feel was the safety bar against my skin even though I tried different angles of attack. I would finish a 3 pass shave and have lots of stubble left. I was bummed.

I decided to use a Feather Super on a whim and discovered that it wasn't my technique, but that the razor with the Pro was just too mild for my liking. The Super blade fixed that and I'm now getting the shaves I thought I would long all along. With the Super blade, I would equate the Mongoose shave similar to that of a Fatip or even an R41 '13 model.

9 1,201
 12-04-2014, 07:22 PM
User Info
Wow, Randy! You really do love an aggressive feel. I suggest you jump on the open comb plate whenever it becomes available.

To those who think that this razor is too heavy and that the weight is causing harsh shaves resulting in irritation or weepers please allow me to suggest more time and practice. I use lots of pressure with my shaves and can get very smooth shaves. It's all about the angle. All I ise are SE razors so my technique is pretty dialed in. My technique along with my protective and slick lather is why I believe I can get so many shaves per blade. While I haven't used a really light handle on the Mongoose I will say that I've yet to use a handle that drastically changed the shaving experience; ie took it from smooth to harsh or vice versa.

Today was my 75th shave with the Mongoose in a row. I've not used another razor since receiving it and at this point I have no intention to. I wish you all continued improvement and success with your Mongoose shaves. If I can be of any further help please don't hesitate to PM me.

Godspeed!

31 8,054