05-29-2012, 11:26 AM
User Info
Two of the products I won in the New Member Contest were tubes of Rose of Bulgaria and Herbs of Bulgaria (lavender). Both were generously donated by ShaveABuck.com.

Have any of you guys tried either of these? What are you impressions of these products?

I finally was able to try the RoB last night and really enjoyed the shave. Along with my 38M, an Iridium Super (on its 4th shave), and a Vulfix 660S brush, I got plenty of slick, pleasantly scented lather. The lather was slick enough that I barely felt the blade as it glided across my face! The lather also offered enough protection that I was able to go for more touch-up than I normally do. In the end, I was able to obtain a fantastic BBS shave.

The scent of the RoB is excellent. Where I find the rose sent of T&H or GFT to be perfumy and old-lady-like, the RoB seems more realistic and it's not overpowering. The packaging is a bit deceiving as I don't find the scent to be feminine at all.

I plan on using it again tonight and try to remember to take pictures of the lather, then I'll try the Herbs of Bulgaria after that.

[Image: 7295956794_66ea0b71b5_z.jpg]

[Image: 7295958364_955efc05f0_z.jpg]

0 836
 05-29-2012, 12:07 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have tried both the lavender and the rose shaving creams,and I find them,overall,good ones and also cheap for their good quality.I like the lavender a little bit better though.
Yes,good shaving creams.

86 7,123
 05-29-2012, 04:01 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I have the Rose of Bulgaria cream also, and I love the lather and the glide, as well as the gentle, soothing skincare it gives. However, I dislike the scent intensely. Otherwise I'd use this cream on a much more regular basis.

3 2,562
 05-29-2012, 07:24 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I was keen to try the Rose, what is the issue with the scent?

91 17,852
 05-30-2012, 04:20 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(05-29-2012, 07:24 PM)ben74 Wrote: I was keen to try the Rose, what is the issue with the scent?

+1. I really like rose scents. Is it a synthetic scent?

7 1,018
 05-30-2012, 04:41 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I love the smell of rose too and enjoy a number of shaving products with this aroma.

Anyone care to elaborate further on the scent of Rose of Bulgaria?

91 17,852
 05-30-2012, 06:00 AM
User Info
RoB has the most natural scent of roses that one can ever get. It uses real Rose Water produced from Rosa damscena which I'm familiar with. I pay about $120 for 10 ml of this essential oil which is considered a good price. It's similar to the scent of TOBS rose cream but a bit stronger. It doesn't have the same overpowering smell of GFT and T&H rose creams which is typical for Rosa centifolia species. I've found the same Rose Water in the QCS soaps. Klars Kabinett uses the same rose water as RoB but its scent is a bit more complex because of the added other fragrances.
Besides, I'm not satisfied completely with the lather it produces. It's slick, explodes easily but is on the thin side and not as protective as the English creams. The post-shave feel is very good though.

2 180
 05-30-2012, 07:44 AM
User Info
(05-30-2012, 06:00 AM)edgerunner Wrote: RoB has the most natural scent of roses that one can ever get. It uses real Rose Water produced from Rosa damscena which I'm familiar with. I pay about $120 for 10 ml of this essential oil which is considered a good price. It's similar to the scent of TOBS rose cream but a bit stronger. It doesn't have the same overpowering smell of GFT and T&H rose creams which is typical for Rosa centifolia species. I've found the same Rose Water in the QCS soaps. Klars Kabinett uses the same rose water as RoB but its scent is a bit more complex because of the added other fragrances.
Besides, I'm not satisfied completely with the lather it produces. It's slick, explodes easily but is on the thin side and not as protective as the English creams. The post-shave feel is very good though.

I'm not familiar with Rose damascena, but I think your description of RoB is accurate. While it doesn't have the cushion of the English creams, I feel RoB has more glide. I do feel it has enough cushion though.

I had my second shave with RoB last night and again the results were excellent.

Here's my face with the first lather:
[Image: 7302343784_de0f92903d_z.jpg]
and the brush after applying the first lather (plenty left for the last two passes):
[Image: 7302349278_ddc1d4ff94_z.jpg]

0 836
 05-30-2012, 04:04 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Good review, the RoB has been added to my "must try" list...

91 17,852
 06-25-2012, 08:39 AM
User Info
I've been on a sample binge lately...trying to finish up some product, even if they are just sample size...and haven't been giving much attention to my other products. For the last two nights I finally tried the Herbs of Bulgaria, a lavender scented cream from the makers of Rose of Bulgaria.

I find the performance of HoB to be pretty much identical to the RoB cream. Which is to say that it's great. I love that slickness it provides. The scent is a light lavender and fairly understated. I would prefer that a stronger scent. I've been using Yardley lavender scented bath soap recently and I find that HoB has a softer, less spicy, lavender scent than the Yardley. Sorry for using a non-shaving product as a comparison but it's the only lavender I can compare it to for now.

If you love the Rose of Bulgaria, you'll love the Herbs of Bulgaria. I'm glad I have both of these and will look forward to the days they come up in rotation.

0 836
 06-26-2012, 11:36 AM
  • Amzimbo
  • Smooth as a fresh shaven diplomat
  • New Jersey and Mozambique
User Info
Bulgaria produces a significant portion of all the rose oil and distilled fragrance used by the perfume industry. The RoB is quite a good rose scent. I find the lavender scent very faint indeed

5 83