11-22-2014, 08:07 PM
User Info
Having never tried the old formulation I had no frame of reference but I tried the new formulation (tub) yesterday and LOVED it!

There was no real fragrance to speak of, just a mildly intriguing scent of what I later figured might be wheatgerm.

The most striking thing I felt was a bracing cooling sensation…it showed up a few minutes after lathering...very soothing.

Cant see myself repeating the purchase again…although the tube sounds interesting for travel and because it contains lanolin.

1 107
 11-23-2014, 12:09 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
The 'old' formulation tub has a chromed plastic lid and says "Colonia" under the AdP name.
I think the 'new' formulation has a black plastic lid and is missing "Colonia".
The 'old' stuff is amazing but some folks complained about skin irritation, so they changed it.

Old
[Image: 41GrYc9FcDL._SY300_.jpg]

New
[Image: shaving_cream_125ml_with_box.png]

47 1,924
 11-23-2014, 08:45 AM
User Info
I have heard so many folks commenting recently on how much they are enjoying (and have been pleasantly surprised by) the new formula that I finally ordered one.last night...gonna give this one a fair shake and shot to make it into my top 3.

102 1,401
 11-23-2014, 03:07 PM
User Info
I have read that one of the big selling points of Acqua di Parma was the unique scent. I keep passing on this product since a few reviews indicated that the unique scent is mostly gone or at best very subtle.

13 107
 11-23-2014, 03:47 PM
User Info
I keep reading that although scent is gone in new formula there is a significant performance improvement .. .... I'll know in about 3 days. Smile

102 1,401
 11-23-2014, 06:44 PM
User Info
I have the old and it's very nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18 326
 11-23-2014, 07:32 PM
User Info
(11-23-2014, 03:47 PM)Boonie21 Wrote: I keep reading that although scent is gone in new formula there is a significant performance improvement .. .... I'll know in about 3 days. Smile

But how can you improve on perfection SleepyAngel

The old ADP colonia croap is PERFECTION !!

24 5,966
 11-23-2014, 08:30 PM
User Info
Claus ... Don't dangle unobtaiunobtainium in front of me ....I have to go with what I can get. Smile

102 1,401
 11-23-2014, 10:14 PM
User Info
I have both old and new formulations. I prefer the new one, I think it beats the old one in both scent and performance departments.

0 18
 11-23-2014, 11:12 PM
User Info
(11-23-2014, 10:14 PM)Stavros Wrote: I have both old and new formulations. I prefer the new one, I think it beats the old one in both scent and performance departments.

That's it. I'm buying the new one

24 5,966
 11-24-2014, 10:33 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Just to make it clear for everyone, there are actually 4 formulations of AdP:

2 old formulas (1 tube and 1 tub/jar, different formulations)
2 new formulas (1 tube and 1 tub/jar, different formulations).
The ingredients lists are all different (4 different ones).

While the 2 old formulas both smell the same, like Colonia, the 2 new ones don't smell the same.

The new tub/jar has a noticeable scent… in the style of Cool Water by Davidoff.
The new tube does NOT have a noticeable scent… I just smell the "soapy ingredients".

Soooo….. maybe that's why everyone says the new version does not have scent…. they have bought the tube… because my new jar/tub has AMPLE SCENT, while my new tube is just pretty plain (but still a pleasant light soapy scent… though should not be the reason to buy the product, IMO. But you could buy the new tub/jar for its scent. OK, I think I've made myself clear!!! BiggrinWink)

Claus, I've been telling you for months, the new one is better (performance-wise)!!!!

(11-23-2014, 11:12 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(11-23-2014, 10:14 PM)Stavros Wrote: I have both old and new formulations. I prefer the new one, I think it beats the old one in both scent and performance departments.

That's it. I'm buying the new one

59 2,817
 11-24-2014, 10:48 AM
User Info
I was referring to the jar versions. I also have the new tube version with lanolin and you're right, there's not much scent in it, definitely different from the jar.

0 18
 11-24-2014, 10:53 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(11-24-2014, 10:48 AM)Stavros Wrote: I was referring to the jar versions. I also have the new tube version with lanolin and you're right, there's not much scent in it, definitely different from the jar.

Actually, I updated my post above, because I just checked and the new tube does not have Lanolin… so no Lanolin in either of the new versions.
Regardless, the formulations are different (though similar).

I much prefer the new tub/jar to any of the other 3 versions.
Some of my very best shaves have come from the new jar.

59 2,817
 11-25-2014, 03:05 AM
User Info
(11-24-2014, 10:53 AM)Nero Wrote:
(11-24-2014, 10:48 AM)Stavros Wrote: I was referring to the jar versions. I also have the new tube version with lanolin and you're right, there's not much scent in it, definitely different from the jar.

Actually, I updated my post above, because I just checked and the new tube does not have Lanolin… so no Lanolin in either of the new versions.
Regardless, the formulations are different (though similar).

I much prefer the new tub/jar to any of the other 3 versions.
Some of my very best shaves have come from the new jar.

Incredible but believable none the less, that the new adp pot is a better product than the old adp pot......

I would still have to place the old adp pot among my personal all time Top 8 products, and I have owned close to 175 different shaving creams and shaving soaps now.

24 5,966
 11-25-2014, 06:32 AM
User Info
Shaved with the new formulation again today and paid closer attention to smell…a very very mild almond is what I got after straining my nose and that was it…. but the lather is unbelievably luxurious.

1 107
 11-29-2014, 09:20 AM
User Info
Received mine yesterday and shaved with it..this new formula of AdP produces such a unique and nice bracing feeling on the skin after the lather has sat on your face for approx. 20-30 seconds. The shave itself was outstanding, great glide and after shave moisturizing as well.

102 1,401
 11-29-2014, 10:18 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I stopped by the AdP section of our local dept store and had a sniff of the new formulation of AdP shave (cream?) soap in a jar.
It smelled NOTHING like my old AdP, actually it smelled of nothing at all. I asked the lady behind the counter "Is this shave cream unscented?" She said 'no', but I couldn't smell anything, so I opened another jar and it was the same.
It was a white cream, not like the yellow soft soap of my old one.
Disappointed.

47 1,924
 11-29-2014, 10:59 AM
User Info
It has a very faint smell of wheat germ to me... Sorta medicinal but the feeling on your face while you shave is OUTSTANDING! It's like a menthol burn that's just right the entire time you shave and for about 15 minutes after you shave... This formulation for me is a better shave and better for my skin than the original, Colonia formulation.

102 1,401
 11-29-2014, 01:55 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
You won't be disappointed when you have the most luxurious cream available on your face. It's worth buying. I already have a backup jar and mine will last another 3 years with my rotation.
As far as the scent, I think it comes and goes or something bc I do notice days that I don't smell it and other days that it is very obvious.
BUT Everyday it is obvious this is a marvelously face friendly product and the only way to know is to use it. Skin loves it.

(11-29-2014, 10:18 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: It smelled NOTHING like my old AdP, actually it smelled of nothing at all. I asked the lady behind the counter "Is this shave cream unscented?" She said 'no', but I couldn't smell anything, so I opened another jar and it was the same.

The previous version smells like luxury.
The new product feels and performs like luxury.
That's my stance. I know a lot of guys like the performance of the old but I've NEVER heard anyone say they prefer the performance and face feel of the old over the new. And if they did or do, I won't believe them. It's that obvious to me that the new is a miles better formula for shaving.

59 2,817
 11-29-2014, 02:59 PM
User Info
Couldn't agree more Matt .. .. .. It may be the most luxurious feeling product I have used.

102 1,401