11-24-2014, 07:47 PM
User Info
I hope I'm not risking being excommunicated from the Soaps & Creams section, or perhaps even banned from The Shave Nook, for confessing that I used canned shaving foam for my shave this morning. I loaned out my Wee Scott shaving brush (my only brush) to my business partner who is making a similar size brush out of 316 stainless steel, so I was unable to use my MWF, Tabac, or Proraso Sensitive Skin soaps. That left me with some department store shaving gel and some Proraso Shaving Foam (sensitive skin formula) that I bought some time ago just to see what it is like. I have to confess that I had a better shave today than I have had in a long time. There was no irritation and no rough spot that showed up later. I was using my Cobra Classic SE razor. I did use my Proraso pre-shave (sensitive skin formula) before my shave, but I almost always do that no matter what soap I am using. Is anyone else willing to confess to using this canned product? How did it perform for you?

[Image: ACvRK4a.jpg]

18 246
 11-24-2014, 08:13 PM
User Info
I use the green can every now and then and love the results. Best part is no clean up of any tools when I'm done.

2 89
 11-24-2014, 08:29 PM
User Info
 11-24-2014, 08:34 PM
User Info
I used some gel foam a few years back when I was at a seminar. I didn't want to learn to lather with someone else's water. It made me quite happy to get back to my brush and real lather.

32 6,445
 11-24-2014, 09:12 PM
User Info
Wow, Troy! I just can't believe you only have ONE brush and one of the SMALLEST, to boot! You need one or two more larger ones for variation! Biggrin
No harm in using what you have to to get a good shave!

82 21,056
 11-25-2014, 02:59 AM
User Info
You should not only be kicked out of the cream/soap section for good, but also be excluded from the brush section for only owning one tiny winy little brush, mate !

Just kidding of course ;-)

I confess to use one of my 5 Proraso shaving foams or my favorite Sanex shaving Gel for sensitive skin for my head shaves, when I'm staying at my workplace, two hotels in the Copenhagen region. I stay at hotels every second weekend from Friday to Monday and have all 5 different versions of the Proraso shaving foam at work at both hotels and also keep a tube of Lavanda shaving cream (old version from 2011) and a tube of the new Lea Classic shaving cream there along with a mahogany bowl of DR HARRIS Lavanda and Windsor there, so I'm covered ;-)

But when I need a quick fast shave I use the Proraso foam for my head shave and always seem to get a very comfortable shave out of it. In fact if I didn't know about a shaving badger brush, shaving cream, shaving soap and super lather, I would live happily with just using the Proraso shaving foam and the pre shave cream.

I tend to prefer the green version from June to August, the blue version from September to November, the yellow version from December to February, the red from March to May. I use the white version for sensitive skin all year round for the delicate private parts (TMI = Too Much Information) ;-)

24 5,842
 11-25-2014, 03:17 AM
User Info
Sometimes I use Barbasol (original, soothing aloe or pacific).

0 375
 11-25-2014, 04:48 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I can safely say I've never used canned shaving foam or gel after I started to wetshave. I gave all that stuff away, and never looked back. Cool

26 4,895
 11-25-2014, 10:51 AM
User Info
I halfway envy the guys who can use canned goo or foam and still get a good shave... I sure as h*** can't. Would be convenient when I'm out and about though... not that using a shavestick and a brush is much work Wink

3 4,373
 11-25-2014, 11:20 AM
User Info
I've used up a can of Proraso in the past and would buy it again, should the need arise. I might have a go at Noxzema at some point too.

0 143
 11-25-2014, 02:09 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
All is forgiven Troy because all I caught was that Mr Lucero is going to eventually give us a 316 stainless steel brush!?!?!?!

But for on the foam you used its got its purposes as that's a quick answer to when time is tight. I get really lazy if its an overnight work trip and I break out my electric Tongue so if that makes you feel any better.. that's probably grounds for excommunication

35 1,329
 11-25-2014, 02:28 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I shaved with only my Wee Scot for almost 18 months. But never will I use a can again. I took the last one out and shot it @ 100' with a Colt New Service .45 OFFHAND to teach a police academy cadet and his sissy Beretta a lesson.
There are ALWAYS brushes; paint, BBQ basters, bundled twigs...

2 3,171
 11-25-2014, 04:16 PM
User Info
I gave all my foam and gel away. I suppose I should have kept a can just in case I was in a hurry, but now that I think about it, making lather from soap doesn't take me too much more time now that I've had enough practice doing it.

I do have a neighbor that I gave part of a test batch to, and my wife tells me he's using a paint brush to lather it. Maybe it's a really good paint brush... Confused

0 1,053
 11-25-2014, 05:06 PM
User Info
I'd gladly endure this over excommunication from The Shave Nook any day.

(11-24-2014, 08:29 PM)tonsorius Wrote: [Image: dFu4gff.jpg]

That's impressive shooting! What did the Wee Scot do to deserve target practice. I can honestly say that the stainless steel L'il LAW will hold up better to a .45 than the Wee Scot. I'm still trying to picture myself using a BBQ baster to apply shave soap. I'll just keep using my canned foam until my Wee Scot is returned or I deprive LAW customers of one of the first Li'l LAW brushes and buy it for myself.

(11-25-2014, 02:28 PM)kav Wrote: I shaved with only my Wee Scot for almost 18 months. But never will I use a can again. I took the last one out and shot it @ 100' with a Colt New Service .45 OFFHAND to teach a police academy cadet and his sissy Beretta a lesson.
There are ALWAYS brushes; paint, BBQ basters, bundled twigs...

18 246
 12-22-2014, 09:12 PM
User Info
I've got a can of Proraso red foam. I haven't had occasion to shave with it yet, but I think it's wise to have a can on hand for that "mad rush" morning, or if a guest needs to shave (I also keep a few "throw-away" razors). I refuse to be a lather snob. I also use an electric shaver sometimes.

To quote a friend speaking of wine:
"I prefer a well aged red wine from the Burgundy region, but I will drink flippin' anything."

Euro

5 395
 12-22-2014, 09:17 PM
User Info
I usually find a good synthetic brush with most any soap works just as quickly as canned goop, even when I am in a hurry.
One of the best things about synthetics, in my opinion, as you don't necessarily need an abundance of lather. However, that over-abundance is the best way I have found to exhaust all of my soaps! Biggrin

82 21,056
 12-23-2014, 06:06 PM
User Info
I tried some Barbasol once. I felt like a cheater.

0 854
 12-23-2014, 09:17 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
"We have known for some time that our greatest competition would be from those companies beholden to the pressurized-can lobby."

Caswell and Massey.

1 795
 12-24-2014, 10:03 AM
User Info
(12-23-2014, 06:06 PM)EJaggerMan Wrote: I tried some Barbasol once. I felt like a cheater.

Barbasol is the way to go if you're gonna cheat - from what I've been told. And based upon a quick impromptu Santa beard from my dad's can Angel

61 1,710
 12-24-2014, 10:16 AM
User Info
I used Barbasol a few months ago on a trip. Shaved OK, but the post-shave feel was absolutely TERRIBLE, and reminded me of why I switched to shave soaps.

A couple of weeks ago I did one shave using my wife's shaving stuff (EOS-"evolution of smooth") and it miles better than Barbasol.

2 1,390