05-29-2012, 04:39 PM
User Info
Hello Gents, being fairly new to DE shaving I was wonder if someone could point out how much more aggressive the Gillette Red Tip is compared to the EJ DE89BA11, which is what I learned to DE shave with. I was looking into purchasing a Super Speed of some sort and really like the look of the red tip but read it is the most aggressive version. I just don't want to purchase something that would ruin my enjoyable shaves with irritation. Would I be better off buying an adjustable, any suggestion would be appriciated.
Cheers!

0 143
 05-29-2012, 04:46 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(05-29-2012, 04:39 PM)IvanCro70 Wrote: Hello Gents, being fairly new to DE shaving I was wonder if someone could point out how much more aggressive the Gillette Red Tip is compared to the EJ DE89BA11, which is what I learned to DE shave with. I was looking into purchasing a Super Speed of some sort and really like the look of the red tip but read it is the most aggressive version. I just don't want to purchase something that would ruin my enjoyable shaves with irritation. Would I be better off buying an adjustable, any suggestion would be appriciated.
Cheers!

It's really not that much more aggressive at least to me. The DE89 gets a bad rap as being too mild a razor. I felt that way about it for a long time and went back to it and love it now. The blade gap is a bit more open on the Red Tip than the DE89. If you want something close to your DE89, then I'd get a vintage adjustable. That way you can start where the DE89 begins and move your way up in aggressiveness as you go. Hope that helps

116 3,804
 05-29-2012, 06:44 PM
User Info
I happen to own a DE87 (which has the same head as the DE89) and the "Heavy" (AKA "Red Tip"):

[Image: Cousin.jpg]

Here's what I had to say about the differences between them in this thread:

Quote:The Red Tip's handle is quite a bit shorter than the DE87's.

The Red Tip's weight is about the same as the DE87's.

Performance-wise, the Red Tip gives similar results to the DE87. I think it might be slightly more aggressive than the DE87, but not much. Some people may like that extra aggressiveness; I don't mind it since I don't have to shave every day. Don't listen to people who tell you that the Red Tip is a harsh razor. I certainly haven't found this to be the case.

I paid way more for my Red Tip than most people would (it came to about $70 CAD including shipping), but it's in stellar condition. I didn't want to bother with an auction which is why I ended up paying so much. You should be able to find a Red Tip on Ebay, that is in slightly worse shape than mine is in, for as cheap as $30. It seems to go for slightly more money than most other SuperSpeed razors.

I find that they give me about the same results, so I switch between the two razors without much thought.

The main (trivial) difference between the razors is that the Red Tip's handle feels nicer in the hand (it has great knurling), and the DE87 feels nicer against my face when I'm shaving (I prefer its comb to that which the Red Tip has). Biggrin

0 214
 05-30-2012, 05:33 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I feel the standard Super Speed is closer to the EJ's performance and the Red Tip does have a bit more bite. Not much but enough to mow down some growth.

35 2,703
 05-30-2012, 09:30 AM
User Info
I have a Red Tip that I would be willing to sell. It is mechanically fine and in good shape -- I just have too many razors. This one is "user grade" and very attractive, but not "collector mint" condition. No brassing anywhere, and just a small amount of red paint missing from the tip. I bought for $65 + shipping from Razor Emporium rather than eBay because I feel RE is reliable and legit, whereas eBay has a lot of sellers who don't know what they are doing. I would be welling to sell it to you for $50 including shipping to anywhere in the USA. Please PM me if interested.

15 316
 05-30-2012, 10:02 PM
User Info
(05-30-2012, 09:30 AM)slackskin Wrote: I have a Red Tip that I would be willing to sell. It is mechanically fine and in good shape -- I just have too many razors. This one is "user grade" and very attractive, but not "collector mint" condition. No brassing anywhere, and just a small amount of red paint missing from the tip. I bought for $65 + shipping from Razor Emporium rather than eBay because I feel RE is reliable and legit, whereas eBay has a lot of sellers who don't know what they are doing. I would be welling to sell it to you for $50 including shipping to anywhere in the USA. Please PM me if interested.

That's the same place I bought mine from. I bought it from there for similar reasons, but also because I can't stand auctions and much prefer to use the "Buy it now" button. Blush

0 214