05-29-2012, 04:40 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
This question is for those of you who strive for a BBS shave each day. I recently tried an ASTRA blade and got 3 BBS shaves. The 4th shave was a DFS but not BBS. Is this a typical number? Today I am trying a Rapira. It gave me a very BBS shave on the first day of use.

0 396
 05-29-2012, 04:43 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I don't ever strive for BBS. It either happens or it doesn't. My neck is a real problem area. If I go one pass to many I get bad razor burn there. Here's a rundown on the blades I use. I use them till they tug once then I toss them.

Med Preps-7 shaves
Gillette Yellows- 6 Shaves
Astra SP and SS- 5-6 shaves
Wilkinson Classics-8 shaves
Schick Plus Platinum- up to 4 so far and it's still as sharp as day one.

116 3,804
 05-29-2012, 04:56 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I use most blades 4-5 times and usually get BBS. But a lot depends on the razor also. Every shave is a three pass affair. After tying just about every blade available I have narrowed it down to the Gillette Super Thin, Personna Medical, Astra Superior Platinum and the Feather. Other blades in the P&G Gillette family work pretty good as well.

100 12,445
 05-29-2012, 05:00 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
Thanks guys. Today using the Rapira has produced an interesting result. I have a BBS shave on my neck. No burn, no redness at all, no weepers, but my neck stings. It's like the back of my neck used to sting when barbers would shave it after a haircut. Is this another form of razor burn?

0 396
 05-29-2012, 05:02 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Yes it is uncledave. That is what I get on my neck.

116 3,804
 05-29-2012, 05:03 PM
User Info
Uncle Dave,

You might be interested in this thread and the link in the first post.

http://shavenook.com/thread-de-blade-challenge-ii

1 2,827
 05-29-2012, 05:07 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-29-2012, 05:02 PM)Dave Wrote: Yes it is uncledave. That is what I get on my neck.

Thanks Dave. It's not really bad it's just not what I expected. I didn't get this from the Astra blades. I wonder if one of these blades is too sharp for my face?

(05-29-2012, 05:03 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Uncle Dave,

Thanks! I'm checking it out now.

0 396
 05-29-2012, 05:10 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Too much pressure or a funny angle is probably the cause, or you've went over it too many times. I have discovered with my neck that i can do one WTG pass and one ATG pass. If I have stubble left over afterwards then I just have stubble. I got myself good one day last week and paid for it. I used Aloe Vera most of the day on my neck.

116 3,804
 05-29-2012, 05:14 PM
  • texquill
  • Olver Warbucks
  • Richardson - DFW area of Texas
User Info
I typically get 15+ BBS shaves with a Feather Professional in my Cobra Classic. I got 5 - 7 BBS shaves when my combo was a Feather DE in a Mercur 39C Slant.

30 237
 05-29-2012, 05:14 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-29-2012, 05:10 PM)Dave Wrote: Too much pressure or a funny angle is probably the cause, or you've went over it too many times. I have discovered with my neck that i can do one WTG pass and one ATG pass. If I have stubble left over afterwards then I just have stubble. I got myself good one day last week and paid for it. I used Aloe Vera most of the day on my neck.

OK, I'll chalk this up to a fluke then, i.e. I didn't realise I was pressing down with the razor. I'll try again tomorrow and be really careful. I'll have to get me some aloe vera after shave. Biggrin

0 396
 05-29-2012, 05:18 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(05-29-2012, 05:14 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 05:10 PM)Dave Wrote: Too much pressure or a funny angle is probably the cause, or you've went over it too many times. I have discovered with my neck that i can do one WTG pass and one ATG pass. If I have stubble left over afterwards then I just have stubble. I got myself good one day last week and paid for it. I used Aloe Vera most of the day on my neck.

OK, I'll chalk this up to a fluke then, i.e. I didn't realise I was pressing down with the razor. I'll try again tomorrow and be really careful. I'll have to get me some aloe vera after shave. Biggrin

go to the dollar tree and get some sunburn relief gel. It's green and it's a $1. It will say Aloe Vera on the front. Here's a link to it

http://www.dollartree.com/health-persona...hod=search

That's what I use and it helps immensely.

116 3,804
 05-29-2012, 05:22 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-29-2012, 05:18 PM)Dave Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 05:14 PM)uncledave Wrote:

go to the dollar tree and get some sunburn relief gel. It's green and it's a $1. It will say Aloe Vera on the front. Here's a link to it

http://www.dollartree.com/health-persona...hod=search

That's what I use and it helps immensely.

Thanks again Dave!

0 396
 05-29-2012, 05:23 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
No problem. Learn from my sensitive neck lol

116 3,804
 05-29-2012, 05:23 PM
User Info
(05-29-2012, 04:40 PM)uncledave Wrote: This question is for those of you who strive for a BBS shave each day. I recently tried an ASTRA blade and got 3 BBS shaves. The 4th shave was a DFS but not BBS. Is this a typical number? Today I am trying a Rapira. It gave me a very BBS shave on the first day of use.

Should you happen to use the Crystal Super Platinum's the number of shaves is exactly 3. Biggrin

Of course YMMV. Wink

0 145
 05-29-2012, 05:31 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info

OK, thanks to your chart I believe I see what went wrong. Today's shave was with a Rapira. Your chart shows that you found this blade to be very sharp and you started with a 2 setting on your slim adjustable. The slim adjustable is the razor I am using too only I didn't think to set it down from my current 3 (which works fine with Astra blades) to 2. From now on I think I will start at 2 each time I am using a new brand of blade.

That chart is a valuable thing to us noobs. Thanks for posting it. I will be consulting it frequently I think.

0 396
 05-29-2012, 05:51 PM
User Info
(05-29-2012, 05:31 PM)uncledave Wrote:

OK, thanks to your chart I believe I see what went wrong. Today's shave was with a Rapira. Your chart shows that you found this blade to be very sharp and you started with a 2 setting on your slim adjustable. The slim adjustable is the razor I am using too only I didn't think to set it down from my current 3 (which works fine with Astra blades) to 2. From now on I think I will start at 2 each time I am using a new brand of blade.

That chart is a valuable thing to us noobs. Thanks for posting it. I will be consulting it frequently I think.

Thanks and your welcome! That is one of the reasons why we keep it around!

1 2,827
 05-29-2012, 05:55 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-29-2012, 05:14 PM)texquill Wrote: I typically get 15+ BBS shaves with a Feather Professional in my Cobra Classic. I got 5 - 7 BBS shaves when my combo was a Feather DE in a Mercur 39C Slant.

You mean that the razor itself can make that much of a difference in how many shaves you get per blade? I would never have guessed that! How does that work?

0 396
 05-29-2012, 06:07 PM
User Info
(05-29-2012, 05:55 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 05:14 PM)texquill Wrote: I typically get 15+ BBS shaves with a Feather Professional in my Cobra Classic. I got 5 - 7 BBS shaves when my combo was a Feather DE in a Mercur 39C Slant.

You mean that the razor itself can make that much of a difference in how many shaves you get per blade? I would never have guessed that! How does that work?

I can get 10 shaves off of a Schick Type J injector with a U.S. made Schick blade so yes, razor and blade combinations can make a world of difference. DE razors are set for certain amount of compromise while many SE razors maximized more for performance, however the availability of blades for these is more limited than DE. I prefer an injector over DE for face shaving. but I prefer DE for head shaving. I usually wind up using a DE alone for simplicity sake.

1 2,827
 05-29-2012, 06:13 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-29-2012, 06:07 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 05:55 PM)uncledave Wrote:

I can get 10 shaves off of a Schick Type J injector with a U.S. made Schick blade so yes, razor and blade combinations can make a world of difference. DE razors are set for certain amount of compromise while many SE razors maximized more for performance, however the availability of blades for these is more limited than DE. I prefer an injector over DE for face shaving. but I prefer DE for head shaving. I usually wind up using a DE alone for simplicity sake.

Thanks for this information. When I get a little more skill I may try an SE razor. I had no idea there could be that much difference in the number of shaves per blade.

0 396
 05-29-2012, 07:44 PM
User Info
Great info here for you already.
For me, it depends on the razor, but all my open-combs work the best for me. Also, it depends on the blades. i prefer the Super Iridiums, Gillette Yellows and the Perma-Sharp Supers.
Good luck.

75 20,883