11-26-2014, 08:07 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
We talk about our water quality and then water to soap ratios,brushing widdershins or counterwiddershins (saxon clockwise and counterclockwise) water temperature; cold lukewarm near boiling and..... scratching of record, lets go back to water quality.
I can't afford any major filtration system in my apartment. so I poison myself with clorine unlike doctor Oz with his reverse osmosis and try to get by with bottled drinking water or a simple filtering pitcher.
If you think water affects shaving try tea or coffee brewed with each.
So, lets discuss bottled waters and inexpensive filtering units people may use.

2 3,171
 11-26-2014, 08:15 AM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
This hobby can be obsessive enough without water quality issues. Filters are OK, but where will it end. Maybe Gillette will sell them thru AOS and make them a package deal with their razor blade offers!!

0 76
 11-26-2014, 08:18 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
You should shave dressed in a bio hazard outfit..in an UV chamber and using only Holy water the Pope has blessed....we are all certainly nuts at this level.....GOOD GRIEF!!!

6 2,044
 11-26-2014, 09:07 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Harvey,
North Hills used to be called Sepulveda and pre WW2 mission acres, agricultural land previously part of the Pio Pico landholdings.Before that it was 'valley of smokes' in Tongva; a name to hard to transcribe into English without multiple linguistic symbols.
Your water comes from the l.A. aqueduct, but was formerly fed by irrigation canals from the L.A. river, the headwaters of which are a good hike behind Justin Beiber's former trophy mansion in Calabasas; itself a Tongva word roughly translated as 'home of water' or, if you follow the same linguistic racism of North Hills calabash for water gourd.
My mother is old enough to remember California's handwashing clothing in the river with their high turtleshell haircombs
and the progressively lower water pressure as more homes were built. My grandfather partnered with this guy call Sabu elephant boy in Hollywood and worried about the water then.
We know what was here before and why things are the way they are now. That includes water.

2 3,171
 11-26-2014, 09:44 AM
User Info
Are you referring to water for drinking or shaving?Biggrin

83 21,109
 11-26-2014, 10:23 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Oooops...sorry...I totally missed the point...I was joking about the water for shaving.....Drinking is an another matter....I do use a reverse osmosis system...sorry...for shaving we have a salt based system...(soft water)...

6 2,044
 11-26-2014, 11:03 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I posted about shaving. It's a valid discussion, given that some fine soaps can go bust with gypy water and be dismissed without a fair appraisal. A new shaver may not realize this and miss out on some fine product.

2 3,171
 11-26-2014, 11:14 AM
User Info
Bottled water will, usually, help in any issues if you think you have 'hard' water and can't seem to get a good lather.

83 21,109
 11-26-2014, 12:35 PM
User Info
Kav, that's why I think stating what one has for water (hard/soft) is IMO so important in a soap review.

I can't help with filters and such.

Some alternatives for folks with hard water is distilled water or rain water if it isn't polluted. It isn't going to ingested just shaved with.

One must be careful with bottled water; some of it is extremely hard.

32 6,470