11-27-2014, 04:34 AM
User Info
Around 18 months ago, I bought a tin of Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalypus shaving soap. An absolutely amazing scent, superb performance, but within 2 hours of shaving I was left with red, itchy skin on both face and neck. I used the soap three times, each time producing the same effect. I put the soap aside and tried again earlier this year. No surprise....the previous red, itchy skin repeated itself.

Thanks to Celestino, Michelle recently introduced her own Lemongrass & Blue Gum soap. I spoke to Michelle of my apparent allergy and was intrigued enough to try this version. Very kindly she included a sample in an order. After three shaves, I am very glad to report that none of the Mike's symptoms have appeared. No redness, no itch, just a glorious shave with a soap that has one of the best scents around, IMO.

I have no idea what the difference between these two soaps is. All I can say is a HUGE thank you to Michelle for making this wonderful soap. A full tub is going to be ordered shortly.

32 5,295
 11-27-2014, 05:25 AM
User Info
(11-27-2014, 04:34 AM)Optometrist Wrote: Around 18 months ago, I bought a tin of Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalypus shaving soap. An absolutely amazing scent, superb performance, but within 2 hours of shaving I was left with red, itchy skin on both face and neck. I used the soap three times, each time producing the same effect. I put the soap aside and tried again earlier this year. No surprise....the previous red, itchy skin repeated itself.

Thanks to Celestino, Michelle recently introduced her own Lemongrass & Blue Gum soap. I spoke to Michelle of my apparent allergy and was intrigued enough to try this version. Very kindly she included a sample in an order. After three shaves, I am very glad to report that none of the Mike's symptoms have appeared. No redness, no itch, just a glorious shave with a soap that has one of the best scents around, IMO.

I have no idea what the difference between these two soaps is. All I can say is a HUGE thank you to Michelle for making this wonderful soap. A full tub is going to be ordered shortly.

David, it is good that you found this soap worked for you, as I have had this with a few myself. I found that many soaps containing lanolin I can't use, because it make my face feel like I have a sunburn,very dry and itchy....which is a shame cause there are so many great soaps out there that contain this.

10 399
 11-27-2014, 06:50 AM
User Info
(11-27-2014, 05:25 AM)wphelps Wrote: David, it is good that you found this soap worked for you, as I have had this with a few myself. I found that many soaps containing lanolin I can't use, because it make my face feel like I have a sunburn,very dry and itchy....which is a shame cause there are so many great soaps out there that contain this.

Thank you, Wallace, although luckily, so far, I have only found three soaps I cannot use. I have had no issues with any of the other Mike's scents, nor any soap that contains lanolin, so fairly certain this is not the culprit. Indeed, I am pretty sure, also, that the MW Lemongrass contains lanolin.

32 5,295
 11-27-2014, 09:25 AM
User Info
Congratulations, David!!!!! This is very good news! Thumbup

Also, the Lemongrass & Blue Gum does, indeed, contain lanolin.

83 21,115
 06-16-2015, 04:18 PM
User Info
I love this scent! Very refreshing but a bit warmer than a pure citrus soap.

MW post-shave feel is just awesome!

0 95
 06-16-2015, 08:17 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(11-27-2014, 05:25 AM)wphelps Wrote: David, it is good that you found this soap worked for you, as I have had this with a few myself. I found that many soaps containing lanolin I can't use, because it make my face feel like I have a sunburn,very dry and itchy....which is a shame cause there are so many great soaps out there that contain this.

This is my sentiment as well. I wish I could use lanolin but it makes my skin itchy like crazy for at least 3 days, and that's if I just put it to my face briefly. If I shave with a product with lanolin, my face will burn and itch for at least a week (close to two). Shame.

62 3,012
 06-17-2015, 04:42 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
David, do you have the same reaction MWF?

10 963
 06-17-2015, 05:48 AM
User Info
(06-17-2015, 04:42 AM)Balj86 Wrote: David, do you have the same reaction MWF?

Balaji, my reaction appears more to do with Lemongrass, itself, than to lanolin. I have used many soaps with lanolin without reaction, and currently using Mystic Water soaps, daily, most with lanolin. I have read that those who suffer from hayfever are more likely to have a reaction to Lemongrass. Since starting this thread last winter, I have now shown a reaction to Michelle's soap, also. I'm gutted, as the scent of these soaps is fantastic, but never mind, many more wonderful scents from Michelle to be enjoyed.

32 5,295