11-27-2014, 10:13 PM
User Info
On Wednesday we began cooking for Thanksgiving Day dinner. We had a pumpkin pie and cranberry sauce to make. The CS went fine, no problems.

The pumpkin pie however... So I make the crust and put it into the pan to blind bake it. Did I put pie weights in it? Heck no! Who needs them!? Answer, Brian does, that's who.

So not very many minutes into the baking the crust begins the slow slide to the bottom of the pan. I wound up with a crusted bottom of the pan and no sides or fluted edge. So I figure just keep baking it and feed it to the dogs. After it comes out and cools dang if it isn't the best pie crust I ever made. OK, so while the dough was cooling off for rolling out the wife makes the custard filling. Now we have the uncooked filling and a useless crust. I decide to just bake the custard off as pumpkin pudding. I've done that before and it's really good. The wife gets the bright idea to take some pumpkin pudding and some of the crust pieces, and marry the 2 in a bowl, crust pieces on top. Not pretty, but dang if it wasn't pumpkin pie; deconstructed pumpkin pie, but p' pie none the less.

FWIW, I can't make pie crust the traditional way. If my life depended on it I couldn't make one and never have been able to. If that's you and you want to make a really great crust just google Americas test kitchen vodka pie crust. There are sites other than ATKs (where you need a membership) that have published the recipe. If you have a food processor or mixer you can make this crust and it will be flaky and delicious. Note: I use one less tablespoon of water and one more tablespoon of liquor. Too, they say to use vodka, but use any 80 proof liquor of your choice. Some things work better with some fillings, so use your brain. Rum in the crust works fine with spicy pumpkin pie. The alcohol boils off after having done its job.

32 6,445
 11-28-2014, 03:48 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Ah Brian, if you had only been talking chocolate cream pie, lemon cream pie, coconut cream pie then we could have talked. Pumpkin? I have just never cared for it.

I am glad that it all worked out for you so well, though. I wonder why I'm not surprised. Winky

2 11,211
 11-28-2014, 06:17 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Chef Ramsey and Martha Stewart stress PRESENTATION.
The old line- cowboy line camp cook who taught me about Dutch ovens was rather different. 'It's going to look a whole lot worse INSIDE your belly in 5 minutes. I can make it taste good or look good, tell me which one you fellers want?'

2 3,171
 11-28-2014, 07:06 PM
User Info
Good save!

31 1,800
 11-29-2014, 10:33 AM
User Info
Thanks gents.

The line camp cook would have liked the save kav. I suppose it could have had a decent presentation, but frankly I wrote off the crust and the wife, as the line camp cook would approve of, wanted the taste. OK, not only had I written it off as a crust, I'd been breaking pieces off to feed the cook. That would be me.

32 6,445