12-01-2014, 08:14 AM
User Info
I bought organic cold pressed extra virgin olive oil at the grocery yesterday and used it as a pre on my throat only. I got a very close irritation free shave. I have been using jojoba oil only with good results, but I think the olive oil performed better. I was hesitant to use olive oil since it is comodegenic, which means it will clog pores (oily skin type for me). I was pleased to wake up with no "honkers" on my throat. I think i will continue to use it and make sure that I thoroughly clean lather off post shave.

Those with sensitive skin will benefit from a nickel sized dollop of olive oil as a pre. I will never go without a pre on my throat.

5 160
 12-01-2014, 08:30 AM
User Info
i used organic olive oil before, but i didn't like how my shaving brush became afterwards Sad

7 1,624
 12-01-2014, 08:35 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Ever hear the phrase "oil on troubled waters?" Olive oil will lay flat those waves and whitecaps of shaving soap.

2 3,171
 12-01-2014, 08:45 AM
User Info
I use synthetic brushes. No issue seen afterwards. I also didn't notice any lather issues. Proraso green was explosive as usual, even when painting over the olive oil. Olive oil in shave soap is a no no though. As an oil on the skin pre-lather won't affect lather unless your lather was bad to begin with.

5 160
 12-01-2014, 09:10 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(12-01-2014, 08:30 AM)tonsorius Wrote: i used organic olive oil before, but i didn't like how my shaving brush became afterwards Sad

+1. A few years ago I experimented with several pre-shave products including oils, and I found the oils left a residue on my brushes. Not sure if I was doing anything wrong, but I won't risk it with my current badgers. I know many use them with great success, and I can see the benefits, but I also don't like the way my brushes were afterwards.

34 1,628
 12-01-2014, 09:23 AM
User Info
Olive oil can also go rancid if left in areas that can't be cleaned such as crevasses and working mechanisms of razors.

9 1,203
 12-01-2014, 09:55 AM
User Info
I clean my razor with a cotton ball and 70% isopropyl alcohol after every shave. No olive oil residue will be left. Good observation on the rancidity issue.

I do see how natural brushes may have issues.

5 160
 12-01-2014, 10:40 AM
User Info
Have you tried jojoba oil? Supposed to be the best oil for skin - I've been using as a pre shave. Some creams contain it but used on its own it's cheaper and I think it's pretty effective.

0 85
 12-01-2014, 10:55 AM
User Info
Kyle, great to hear the olive oil worked for you! Smile

83 21,081
 12-01-2014, 11:57 AM
User Info
Yes, I was using jojoba oil before i tried olive oil. It worked great! If I start to get acne breakouts from the olive, I will go back to Jojoba since it does act similar to our sebum.

5 160
 12-01-2014, 12:13 PM
User Info
(12-01-2014, 08:14 AM)Kyle 3 Pass Wrote: I bought organic cold pressed extra virgin olive oil at the grocery yesterday and used it as a pre on my throat only. I got a very close irritation free shave. I have been using jojoba oil only with good results, but I think the olive oil performed better. I was hesitant to use olive oil since it is comodegenic, which means it will clog pores (oily skin type for me). I was pleased to wake up with no "honkers" on my throat. I think i will continue to use it and make sure that I thoroughly clean lather off post shave.

Those with sensitive skin will benefit from a nickel sized dollop of olive oil as a pre. I will never go without a pre on my throat.

do you apply the olive oil after each pass or only on the 1st?

for me, doing more than 1 pass on the lower half of my neck is asking for trouble.

I don't shave at the moment since I carry a beard, but I'm sure I'll get tired with it eventually.

40 5,830
 12-01-2014, 03:29 PM
User Info
I only apply oil before my 1st pass on throat. I usually don't do more than 1 pass on throat due to ingrowns and bumps. Just went to Doctor for a check up. Asked about, what I thought was a swollen lymph node on my throat, and was told it is an ingrown hair. She said that she could see a few of them. The ingrown has been swollen for three weeks.

I told her that I shave with a single blade and I use a brush. Was told that I should throw away after 1 use for blades.

5 160
 12-21-2014, 01:49 PM
  • okok
  • Still smiling
  • Indianapolis
User Info
I've had some good results using olive oil, too. I have a brush that gets used just when I want the oil pre-shave, and I do wash that brush out after every 4 of 5 shaves. I understand some people can't tolerate olive oil, but it's no problem for me.

29 330
 12-22-2014, 09:21 AM
User Info
I suffer from acne and have read that olive oil is pore clogging. I have not experienced that at all. Now mind you, I only use the olive oil on my throat, but I still haven't had one breakout from using cold-pressed, organic olive oil. I wonder if being 1/4 Italian may be the reason. Smile No doubt my Italian ancestors shaved with olive oil.

5 160
 01-05-2015, 12:55 PM
  • KRpdx
  • Portland, OR
User Info
I use an olive oil, jojoba, shea butter mix as a post-shave moisturizer, but oils have been typically counterproductive for me as a pre-shave. If it works for you, it's good!

12 166
 01-05-2015, 01:23 PM
User Info
When I was first getting into DE shaving, I came across a video on youtube where a guy was talking about using a DE and olive oil only (not as a preshave, as a substitute for soap completely). He said he got great shaves, but after a few years it ended up clogging his pipes.

23 656
 01-06-2015, 05:26 AM
User Info
works for me... too Smile Using it maybe twice a week
I wonder what else are disadvantages as a preshave? I like the skin- feel very much and think you might get around clogged brushes by using some shampoo.

21 1,175