05-30-2012, 09:08 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1090039.jpg]

This is one of the best shaving soaps,for my likes and taste,that you can pick up locally in many places (malls) in USA.

Is a triple milled shaving soap made in UK and it contains the following ingredients :

[Image: P1090040.jpg]

As you can read,contains palm oil as well as Potassium and Sodium Sterate,something good on my book.

Many people have reported problems trying to make lather with these soaps,and Im sure that maybe some batches have been not as good as others ('dud' soaps, basically) but I have never had any problem making good,stable lather from any of the Crabtree and Evelyn shaving soaps.

This soap provides me really good shaves,with a slick lather and a nice skin care properties that I can feel after,since my skin its not as dry as with other products.

But what I really enjoy of this shaving soap its the scent.According to the Crabtree and Evelyn we page,Sienna has notes of
Quote:Masculine blend of leather, citrus and spice with a hint of fire and herbs
.Yes,it contains notes of lather and I would say that also notes of ginger and pepper.Its a masculine,woody and deep scent,perfect for winter days,and for me,better than some other famous fragrances like Marlborough or even Tabac.

For 9 dollars the refill puck and 22 dollars the soap with one of the nicest wooden bowls out there,I find this soap a great alternative to some of the most expensive UK brands,like Geo F Trumper.

86 7,124
 05-30-2012, 09:16 AM
User Info
Nice review Teiste.
This is a soap on my buy list, I really wonder how it smells like..

4 365
 05-30-2012, 09:48 AM
  • England
User Info
Thanks for the review Teiste.

Never tried any of Crabtree and Evelyn products ..here we go again !

My bench mark these days are DRH soaps , in your opinion how do C&E compare on a performance level ?

0 110
 05-30-2012, 10:01 AM
User Info
I have the Sienna soap, and as far as scent it ranks up against all the top notch contenders in that category.

I'm able to get it ( and its C&E cousin Sandalwood ) to lather without any trouble at all, but it does seem to be a notch lower when it comes to skincare. It's not a bad soap in that respect, but it doesn't excel there.

For $9 the Sienna is a wonderful addition to my Shave Den, and I doubt I'll ever be without a puck as long as it stays in production.

0 252
 05-30-2012, 10:22 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Never tried the soap but strangely, the cream has always bothered my skin, which is rare. In fairness, it's been years since I last gave it a go. Have you ever tried the cream, Teiste?

35 2,703
 05-30-2012, 10:47 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-30-2012, 10:22 AM)TexBilly Wrote: Never tried the soap but strangely, the cream has always bothered my skin, which is rare. In fairness, it's been years since I last gave it a go. Have you ever tried the cream, Teiste?

No,I havent tried the cream,Bill.

86 7,124
 05-30-2012, 10:51 AM
User Info
I have a puck of this but I've never used it. I do pull it out to smell from time to time. Someday I'll give it a go.

0 836
 05-30-2012, 10:59 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
(05-30-2012, 10:47 AM)Teiste Wrote:
(05-30-2012, 10:22 AM)TexBilly Wrote: Never tried the soap but strangely, the cream has always bothered my skin, which is rare. In fairness, it's been years since I last gave it a go. Have you ever tried the cream, Teiste?

I "aslmost" tried the cream. Went to the C&E store, bought a tube of it (I was thinking of using it for travel) and then took care of some other errands. When I got back it I tried it and it all shot out onto my counter in a water-like mess. Unfortunately when I was running other errands it was sitting in my car and got cooked on a 90+ degree day. Learned a lesson - make the shaving cream run my last stop.

Never took it back - I can't see getting a replacement for my dumb mistake.

0 353
 05-30-2012, 11:11 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
This is one of my absolute favorite soaps. It's a steal at $9. The scent is incredible and I find it performs better than the other english soaps, the possible exception being DRH

The Sienna cream has been discontinued in the US. Supposedly it is still available in other countries, as the products are made in the UK. But stateside it has hit the dust.

9 541
 05-30-2012, 11:39 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I smelled this (and the matching EdT) at the C&E store in the MOA. I really liked it, but found it pretty much fit in the same basic slot as Arlington and XXX in my scent repertoire, so didn't think of picking it up.

Good to know it's a good option once I run out.

10 1,858
 05-30-2012, 11:46 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
(05-30-2012, 11:11 AM)GreekGuy Wrote: This is one of my absolute favorite soaps. It's a steal at $9. The scent is incredible and I find it performs better than the other english soaps, the possible exception being DRH

The Sienna cream has been discontinued in the US. Supposedly it is still available in other countries, as the products are made in the UK. But stateside it has hit the dust.

Bummer! I saw that they discontinued the almond cream too. I wonder if the Nomad and Sandalwood are next. The Sandalwood was one of my first creams. I used it up but at the end it just didn't really wow me performance wise. Liked the scent but don't think I'd repurchase.

0 353
 05-30-2012, 12:02 PM
User Info
I have both the Sienna and the SW. Both are great performers and their scents are great.

0 77
 05-30-2012, 12:10 PM
User Info
These are the easiest soaps to lather and the C&E scents are great. These soaps were the equivalent to the vegetable based Trumper's. The good one that is, not the recent soaps

2 697
 05-30-2012, 02:14 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I have a puck of this, but I haven't tried it as yet. I've used the C&E Nomad shaving cream and it was just OK IMO. C&E is also quite expensive in Australia, but much more easily sourced compared to most other shaving produts.

91 17,875
 05-30-2012, 02:55 PM
User Info
I already wrote a review of this soap. You can see it here: Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna shave soap review Smile

A nice soap, I must say. I also have the cream. It is very nice, although I prefer the soap.
The scent is very similar on both the soap and the cream.
In England, there is a webshop with a tremendous deal on the cream! You can see it here: http://thebeautystall.co.uk/index.php?ma...cts_id=260

2 5,532
 05-30-2012, 02:57 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(05-30-2012, 02:55 PM)oversaturn Wrote: I already wrote a review of this soap. You can see it here: Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna shave soap review Smile

A nice soap, I must say. I also have the cream. It is very nice, although I prefer the soap.
The scent is very similar on both the soap and the cream.
In England, there is a webshop with a tremendous deal on the cream! You can see it here: http://thebeautystall.co.uk/index.php?ma...cts_id=260

How on the earth couldnt I find that brilliant review of yours,man?FacepalmFacepalmFacepalm
I knew you wrote something about the C&E soaps,but I couldnt/wasnt able to find it.Oh boy...
Well,thanks again,I really like your ex tense review of this shaving soap.

86 7,124
 05-30-2012, 03:15 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Nice review. I've been impressed with the Crabtree & Evelyn products I've tried so far.

45 3,955
 05-31-2012, 02:54 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Love the sienna soap myself, it would be amoung my top three or four depending on how i feel that day, but its never far from rotation, the scent to me is probably my favorite of all my products at the moment, enough that i added thwe balm, and the body soap bars to go with it

3 748
 05-31-2012, 03:19 PM
User Info
(05-30-2012, 10:47 AM)Teiste Wrote:

their cream is lovely...

I haven't tried their Sienna yet, just their Nomad and I like it a lot.

40 5,830
 05-31-2012, 04:26 PM
User Info
C&E is a fav of mine as well. I have all 3 scents in my rotation.

I also have the Nomad cream in a tube. It is the only one on their US website. They also carry SW cream in a jar but that has only recently shown up on their website.

The tube of Nomad cream smells as good as the puck. But I get a better lather out of the puck.

Phil

7 363