12-02-2014, 04:29 AM
User Info
Now that some of you have been using this brush for near on 3 months, I was wondering if it has broken in and how that feels.

I just received mine today (194/200) and immediately put it to work…wow…copious amounts of great lather with the ADP …currently, I find its backbone to be more dominant than its softness although it certainly isn't lacking on either front.

Just wondering if its characteristics change a little as it breaks in?

BTW, I have to say that 22mm is the ideal face lathering knot size for me. I could use this brush every day and not miss a thing. Thanks to the guys who conceived this idea.

1 107
 12-02-2014, 05:28 AM
User Info
Hi my m6 definitely softened with about the fifth or sixth shave and it's one of my best face lathering brushes but the backbone is still very upfront. On a side note this thing is a soap eater if your looking to go thru old stock

Eric

115 1,005
 12-02-2014, 08:13 AM
User Info
My M6 has softened significantly. I have probably used it 25 times and at first, it was a bit scritchy, but I am pleased to say that that has since disappeared. I agree that the M6 is a terrific face latherer. Enjoy.

39 3,882
 12-02-2014, 08:45 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
When most new Manchurian's come out of the box I get the same effect where the backbone far exceeds the softness but once you give it a few goes at lathering it will begin to soften the backbone and you'll have a spectacular brush. Once broken in it will be gentle soft scrub that's very very easy to control given that the knot isn't that big.

Glad you are enjoying this beauty, it will grow on you more as you get more time with the brush. Have fun!

35 1,329
 12-02-2014, 08:48 AM
User Info
I don't know if I've noticed mine softening at all, but I thought it was pretty soft already out of the box. It's been in a regular 4-brush rotation.

10 2,062
 12-02-2014, 06:09 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I've noticed a difference between the backbone of the M6 and the Jubilee, both of which are Manchurian badger knots. The M6 has noticeably more backbone than the Jubilee although the knots are roughly the same size. I much prefer the Jubilee over the M6 because of the lesser backbone. So far I haven't noticed any change in the backbone of either brush.

5 887
 12-02-2014, 06:30 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I agree in that I found the backbone of the M6 to be significantly more than the Jubilee, however in my case, I also find the M6 to be significantly softer.

34 1,628
 12-02-2014, 07:42 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
The knot is pretty stiff, but I haven't used mine more than a couple of times.

I have to say I think the M6 has the most unergonomic handle I've ever used. That sharp ridge and the small size makes it almost uncomfortable to hold.

17 437
 12-02-2014, 11:27 PM
User Info
Really Lando?

I find it almost perfect, that said I have relatively small hands.

It could possibly present a problem for gentlemen with a larger grip?

Many thanks,

Mark

(12-02-2014, 07:42 PM)Lando Wrote: The knot is pretty stiff, but I haven't used mine more than a couple of times.

I have to say I think the M6 has the most unergonomic handle I've ever used. That sharp ridge and the small size makes it almost uncomfortable to hold.

1 632
 12-03-2014, 12:23 AM
User Info
I only received mine last week (195) and have used it twice since. I find the tips pretty soft and will only get softer. The backbone is great, perfect for face lathering. I also think that the handle is great, no issues there.

0 18
 12-03-2014, 12:37 PM
User Info
(12-02-2014, 11:27 PM)Simpson1919 Wrote: Really Lando?

Many thanks,

Mark

(12-02-2014, 07:42 PM)Lando Wrote: The knot is pretty stiff, but I haven't used mine more than a couple of times.

+1

10 1,653
 12-03-2014, 12:43 PM
User Info
Mine has only been used 4 times and is getting softer. It does a very fine job of tearing through stubborn hard soaps while still having a great face feel.

3 92
 12-03-2014, 01:39 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I too found the handle uncomfortable and the backbone too high. But, surely there are those that disagree with my assessment which explains why almost all of these have found happy homes. I would absolutely love to try it again without a glue bump protruding above the handle as I believe that would dial in the stiffness right to about perfect for me (similar to my Simfix Pearl which has a similar sized knot without a glue bump).

139 2,680
 12-03-2014, 03:17 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info

Many thanks,

Mark

Mark and Lando, you can't please all of the people all the time. I have medium-size hands (8.25 inches across the knuckles) and the handle works for me. I do find, however, that the knot has a bit more backbone than what is ideal for me, but so what? I still like the brush and like the variety it brings to my cete of 26 badgers.

5 887
 12-04-2014, 05:56 AM
User Info
I have large hands (XXL gloves) and the handle on the M6 is unfortunately uncomfortable for me also. Our son is going to receive a very lightly used (2X) Manchurian for Christmas. The knot itself is fine but I am already spoiled by my Duke 3 Manchurian.

1 34
 12-04-2014, 07:15 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info

I have very large hands, and it was the knot that ultimately turned me from the brush and finally cemented my opinion that Manchurian is not for me. I am a Simpson 2 band guy through and through. I instantly disliked the M&F Chief design the second it hit my hand because of the sharp belt-line ridge, and similar to your experience it was very uncomfortable in the hand. Gorgeous brush, but if it isn't comfortable in the hand- out it goes.

Many thanks,

Mark

This is why the M7 works so much better for me, I can stretch over an octave quite easily on a grand piano.

And, I feel big glue bumps throw in an unforeseen factor in brush loft selection that ultimately can't be discerned until the brush is on the face. I typically do not like glue bumps above the handle. Most of the reason why I got away from Semogue and newer M&F.

143 1,983
 12-10-2014, 05:27 PM
User Info
It's a little small for me but still comfortable enough. I prefer larger handles in general.

Many thanks,

Mark

15 771
 12-11-2014, 11:15 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
The brush has softened up significantly. When it is dry the hair is the stiffest out of all my brushes, but when I use it there is no scratch and the brush doesn't fight back when lathering.

At first it was a bit awkward to hold, as my hands are larger, but I soon found a comfortable hold (can't tell you how I hold it because I don't pay attention to it anymore).

1 608
 12-11-2014, 03:13 PM
User Info
If the handle was larger and without the mid ridge and the knot was 3 mm larger, it would be perfect.

This is why I have only kept one Manchurian in my den. The ultimate prime Amber Chubby 3 Manchurian :-)

24 5,856
 12-11-2014, 04:18 PM
User Info
I love my M6. At first I was worried that the handle and knot would be too small but it pleasantly surprised me. I find it to be a great brush in all aspects

11 489